Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: new guy / Calif
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:38 am 
Passerby
Passerby

Favorite Hi-Point: C9

Greetings. I'm patrick. Just put a deposit on a C9 and since I'm in Calif I will wait 10 days to pick it up. I looked at Glocks first, for $529. Then the Hi-Point for $159 on sale. Being a logical sort I went with the C9 after doing a lot of internet study. I will head out to some range soon enuf to try it out. I'm a newby. But I've watched a lot of videos of the gun. If owners of this gun were me, knowing what they know now after using their gun for a long time, what would you do? Load up the clips for a couple of weeks. Only use 7 rounds in the mag. Stay away from 10 round mags? Only shoot GOOD ammo? No limp wrist shooting?
I am considering going to an outdoor range where they offer a 7 hour basic handgun course for $90. Do some learning and fire off 150 rounds. Might as well learn right, and from the pros. It should be a fun day too. Looking into a Pelican case for it, anyone recommend those? Recommend ammo? Gun store guy said Blazer Brass? Some would say "just go out and shoot a lot and have fun." I'm the sort that plans it all out first. Really appreciate any and all advice here, I'm a sponge. Many thanks. Hey, what is the max range at which one can still hit a target with this gun - 10 yards? 20 yards?

patrick -

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: new guy / Calif
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:22 am 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

saypat wrote:

I looked at Glocks first, for $529. Then the Hi-Point for $159 on sale. Being a logical sort I went with the C9 after doing a lot of internet study.

Good for you! I own several Glocks and love them. But the HP is a GREAT value, and starting out, it's wise to spend less and make sure you are truley interested!

saypat wrote:

If owners of this gun were me, knowing what they know now after using their gun for a long time, what would you do? Load up the clips for a couple of weeks. Only use 7 rounds in the mag. Stay away from 10 round mags? Only shoot GOOD ammo? No limp wrist shooting?

Exactly!

saypat wrote:
I am considering going to an outdoor range where they offer a 7 hour basic handgun course for $90. Do some learning and fire off 150 rounds. Might as well learn right, and from the pros. It should be a fun day too. Looking into a Pelican case for it, anyone recommend those?

Again, exactly. But first, check the price of the pelcan case against that of the HP hard case. Go from there.

saypat wrote:
Hey, what is the max range at which one can still hit a target with this gun - 10 yards? 20 yards?

Depends entirely on the shooter. How steady are you? Do you understand the "sight picture"? The HP DOES have the advantage of a fixed barrel, giving it a potential for accuracy above many much pricier guns!

And Welcome from AZ!!! :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:33 am 
Guru
Guru

Favorite Hi-Point: CF380
saypat wrote:

I am considering going to an outdoor range where they offer a 7 hour basic handgun course for $90. Do some learning and fire off 150 rounds.

patrick -

They dont make you take handgun course before buying in Commiefornia anymore?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:06 am 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
Keep the magazines loaded. I never had problems wit 10 round mags. Don't limp wrist it. That's about all you need to know about shooting it. The class may be a great idea if the instructor is worth the money.

Once a HP has had some rounds through it I've found they pretty much eat anything. Experiment a bit with different brands - some find they have FTF with the steel case. I've never had problems with it. If you really want to shoot a lot, reload.

A case is a good idea, especially in a state that requires pistols to be in a locked case for transport. Pelican is very expensive; are you flying with cameras or other expensive and delicate devices? If not, any inexpensive lockable hard case will do.

As for max/effective range ... depends on how steady your hands are ... eyes too, depends on how good they are.
saypat wrote:

Greetings. I'm patrick. Just put a deposit on a C9 and since I'm in Calif I will wait 10 days to pick it up. I looked at Glocks first, for $529. Then the Hi-Point for $159 on sale. Being a logical sort I went with the C9 after doing a lot of internet study. I will head out to some range soon enuf to try it out. I'm a newby. But I've watched a lot of videos of the gun. If owners of this gun were me, knowing what they know now after using their gun for a long time, what would you do? Load up the clips for a couple of weeks. Only use 7 rounds in the mag. Stay away from 10 round mags? Only shoot GOOD ammo? No limp wrist shooting?
I am considering going to an outdoor range where they offer a 7 hour basic handgun course for $90. Do some learning and fire off 150 rounds. Might as well learn right, and from the pros. It should be a fun day too. Looking into a Pelican case for it, anyone recommend those? Recommend ammo? Gun store guy said Blazer Brass? Some would say "just go out and shoot a lot and have fun." I'm the sort that plans it all out first. Really appreciate any and all advice here, I'm a sponge. Many thanks. Hey, what is the max range at which one can still hit a target with this gun - 10 yards? 20 yards?

patrick -

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:08 am 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
It's not a class, it's a test. If you pass (I guess pretty much everybody does) they give you your 'Handgun Safety Certificate' which is good for 5 years.

At a cost of $25 it's really just another way for governments to steal from you for no good purpose.
cbr wrote:
They dont make you take handgun course before buying in Commiefornia anymore?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:57 am 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
Congrats on the new C9 :great:
Be aware there is a certain amount of break in with any new gun, so if you have a few hiccups, it's not a big thing

--- Rabbi Shraga Silverstein

Come visit Barker Hill. Homesteading, survival, farming and self reliance.

Photobucket sucks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:55 am 
Passerby
Passerby

Ex_ISP wrote:
saypat wrote:

I looked at Glocks first, for $529. Then the Hi-Point for $159 on sale. Being a logical sort I went with the C9 after doing a lot of internet study.

Good for you! I own several Glocks and love them. But the HP is a GREAT value, and starting out, it's wise to spend less and make sure you are truley interested!

saypat wrote:

If owners of this gun were me, knowing what they know now after using their gun for a long time, what would you do? Load up the clips for a couple of weeks. Only use 7 rounds in the mag. Stay away from 10 round mags? Only shoot GOOD ammo? No limp wrist shooting?

Exactly!

saypat wrote:
I am considering going to an outdoor range where they offer a 7 hour basic handgun course for $90. Do some learning and fire off 150 rounds. Might as well learn right, and from the pros. It should be a fun day too. Looking into a Pelican case for it, anyone recommend those?

Again, exactly. But first, check the price of the pelcan case against that of the HP hard case. Go from there.

saypat wrote:
Hey, what is the max range at which one can still hit a target with this gun - 10 yards? 20 yards?

Depends entirely on the shooter. How steady are you? Do you understand the "sight picture"? The HP DOES have the advantage of a fixed barrel, giving it a potential for accuracy above many much pricier guns!

And Welcome from AZ!!! :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

THANK YOU ALL for your input! Like I said, I'm a sponge and trying to take it all in. Appreciate this forum devoted to Hi-Points.
I sent an e-mail off to one of the main instructors at the place I want to take my intro class. At the end of my e-mail, kiddingly, I asked is they allowed Hi-Point guns in the class? her reply:

A second magazine is great to have if possible. Not required. What is a "high-point" gun?
Cheryl

Bill Murphy
+ Police Officer, 31 Years, Retired
+ S.W.A.T.
+ Police Academy Firearms Instructor
+ U.S. Air Force Instructor at Pararescue Advanced Weapons Training Center
+ Range Master
+ N.R.A. / F.B.I Certified Firearms Instructor
+ Author: The Concealed Carry Survival Guide
Cheryl Murphy
+ State of California Lifetime Teaching Credential
+ Police Academy Firearms Instuctor
+ Police Officer, 30 Years, Retired
+ F.B.I. Certified Instructor

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:06 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9-Comp
Welcome to the group!

What everyone esle said regarding break in, and yes, Blazer Brass is good cheap ammo.

As far as distance for targets, it depends on the target. I mean, I can hit a barn door at 150 yards...I think. :mrgreen:

I got lucky and hit a clay pigon sitting on a berm at 75 yards once...about the 4th shot. But 4-6 inches at 25 yards is easily within the gun's ability. :thumb:

Other guns owned: Various and sundry...lets just say I can launch any of the following ammo...8mm & 7mm Mauser, 7.62X54R or 7.62X39 or 7.62X25, 7.5X55, 9X18, 9X19, .380, .40, .45, .22, .22 mag, .22WRF, .223, 12 ga, 20ga., .30-30, .300 Savage, .303 Brit, 7.62 NATO, and .30-06...so if you want to get rid of some, let me know!!!

He who laughs last........................thinks slowest!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:12 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
Well, you'll get that sometimes. She seems to be his secretary and may not know a damn thing about guns.
I wouldn't pay a dime to learn to shoot. You've got a world full of knowledge at your hands. Watch some YouTube and see how the experts do it. Most importantly, the thing is to keep the muzzle down range at all times. Don't expect to be a champion shooter for the first few times you shoot. Remember, HP factory sights are not the best and will move on you. You'll learn to get a Mahan sight for your gun, and that will help your accuracy.
I'm not sure if I welcomed you or not, but welcome to HPT.
Read the threads, ask a lot of questions, sort out what is useful and just enjoy yourself. A gun isn't a toy, but they are damn sure fun if you are handling them right.

Fill your hands, you son of a bitch! - Rooster Cogburn
Revenge is a meal best served cold!
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer!
I wouldn't be so paranoid, if everyone wasn't out to get me!
Officially a friend of a sadistic dirty old man. Lol.
It's always raining in my head. - Staind
Killing Is My Business, And Business Is Good! - Dave Mustane. - Megadeth.
http://www.military.com/video/operation ... 618611001/
HPT SNIPER

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:47 pm 
Guru
Guru

A word on limp-wristing: it is not a strong grip that prevents this from happening. The best way my son and I found is a balance of pushing with your right arm while pulling with your left arm when holding a two-hand grip. Not a serious "try to do resistance exercise" type of pull just firm pressure. Beside a strangle grip on the firearm will start to cause tiny tremors which will throw off your shot.

Once you have a firearm in hand, i think you will get the idea.

Welcome the friendliest firearms forum in the world. We have our share of crack-pots (me, sometimes) but we all love our Hi-points and respect the other members. Have fun breaking in your pistol, I know the rest of us did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My favorite number of the alphabet is purple.

You can't scare me. I have grandchildren!

The most ferocious fighting machine is a pissed-off 19 year-old Marine.

"Am fear nach gheidh na h-airm 'nam na sith, Cha bhi iad aige 'n am a chogaidli." - Gaelic Proverb ("Who keeps not his arms in times of peace, Will have no arms in times of war.")

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:49 pm 
Guru
Guru

ajole wrote:
...I mean, I can hit a barn door at 150 yards...I think. :mrgreen:

I know for a fact I can the side of a barn from inside. At least 4 out of 5 times LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My favorite number of the alphabet is purple.

You can't scare me. I have grandchildren!

The most ferocious fighting machine is a pissed-off 19 year-old Marine.

"Am fear nach gheidh na h-airm 'nam na sith, Cha bhi iad aige 'n am a chogaidli." - Gaelic Proverb ("Who keeps not his arms in times of peace, Will have no arms in times of war.")

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:44 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

ajole wrote:
Welcome to the group!

What everyone esle said regarding break in, and yes, Blazer Brass is good cheap ammo.

As far as distance for targets, it depends on the target. I mean, I can hit a barn door at 150 yards...I think. :mrgreen:

I got lucky and hit a clay pigon sitting on a berm at 75 yards once...about the 4th shot. But 4-6 inches at 25 yards is easily within the gun's ability. :thumb:

Thanks for this! Much appreciated. Being a newby I really had no idea how far a 9mm would even shoot. At your 75 yard shot do you have to aim considerably higher, or not?

Is Blazer Brass 'cheap ammo?' They had it at my gun store for $14. What is 'not cheap' ammo?

nice having so many people welcoming others here!

patrick -

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:51 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

saypat wrote:
ajole wrote:
Welcome to the group!

Thanks for this! Much appreciated. Being a newby I really had no idea how far a 9mm would even shoot. At your 75 yard shot do you have to aim considerably higher, or not?

Is Blazer Brass 'cheap ammo?' They had it at my gun store for $14. What is 'not cheap' ammo?

nice having so many people welcoming others here!

patrick -

I'm not sure of prices as they vary from state to state. But I know that ordering from Natchez, Mag-Tech ammo is about the same price as Blazer. Now, I'm told by a very good friend that is into HP firearms, that Brass Blazer is good ammo. So take my words with a grain of salt.
You can over pay at your local gun store for ammo, or find a good online supplier. I like Natchez, as they've almost always had the best prices. However, I could be wrong. I am most of the time.

HPT SNIPER

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:54 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

MechWolf wrote:
Well, you'll get that sometimes. She seems to be his secretary and may not know a damn thing about guns.
I wouldn't pay a dime to learn to shoot. You've got a world full of knowledge at your hands. Watch some YouTube and see how the experts do it. Most importantly, the thing is to keep the muzzle down range at all times. Don't expect to be a champion shooter for the first few times you shoot. Remember, HP factory sights are not the best and will move on you. You'll learn to get a Mahan sight for your gun, and that will help your accuracy.
I'm not sure if I welcomed you or not, but welcome to HPT.
Read the threads, ask a lot of questions, sort out what is useful and just enjoy yourself. A gun isn't a toy, but they are damn sure fun if you are handling them right.

thanks MechWolf. I've watched a lot on Youtube regarding the C9 and plan on watching a lot more, but this forum will be a huge resource!. Hate living in the city. You guys living in the wide open spaces, well, be thankful in some respects anyway ":o)

thanks for the welcome -

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:59 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

No problem bud. I don't live in a big city, but I wish I lived in the deepest part of BFE I could find.
This is a huge wealth of information. I'm still a newbie myself. Not in regards to shooting, I've been doing that most of my life, but understanding the technical words and such. I just mostly ask questions and I get great answers.
Enjoy bud.

HPT SNIPER

Profile E-mail