Hipointtalk.net

Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New HP fan from Massachusetts
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:51 am 

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
Hello All. First time gun owner here, and last week picked up my first gun and it is a HP 995TS.

I'm not sure how I came upon seeing the 995TS online, but I liked it from the first time I saw it.

Only one dealer in Massachusetts sells them, and luckily it was fairly close to where I live. After handling the actual gun, it felt good and seemed well built. In my hands, it had a very high "smile factor" :D That must have been his easiest sale of the day.

Immediately ordered a few accessories from Hi-Point, Brass Stacker, and UTG to make it mine.

Went to the range on Saturday and fired it for the first time with the wife and another couple. My friend has many guns and is experienced, so having someone assisting for the first time was helpful. The gun performed very well. I think I just have to learn and get used to "chambering the first round". We put about 150 rounds through it. I loved it. The wife, while not to much into guns, did smile while firing a couple of magazines and was not opposed to it. Couldn't ask for more than that. ;) Both my friends were so impressed with it, that after the first of the year, they are going to get one for their "collection".

"I don't know what I don't know", so I'll probably be asking some real "noob" questions. I'm looking forward to learning.

I'll post some pictures and a new gun owner review very soon.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New HP fan from Massachusetts
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:20 pm 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
It's a good choice, I s'pose.
a73elkyss wrote:
Hello All. First time gun owner here, and last week picked up my first gun and it is a HP 995TS.

You'll spend a lot of time here wondering what came over you; and likely most everyone else too.
Quote:
I'm not sure how I came upon seeing the 995TS online, but I liked it from the first time I saw it.

Only one dealer in Massachusetts sells them, and luckily it was fairly close to where I live. After handling the actual gun, it felt good and seemed well built. In my hands, it had a very high "smile factor" :D That must have been his easiest sale of the day.

Immediately ordered a few accessories from Hi-Point, Brass Stacker, and UTG to make it mine.

Went to the range on Saturday and fired it for the first time with the wife and another couple. My friend has many guns and is experienced, so having someone assisting for the first time was helpful. The gun performed very well. I think I just have to learn and get used to "chambering the first round". We put about 150 rounds through it. I loved it.

Making the wife smile is always a good thing.
Quote:
The wife, while not to much into guns, did smile while firing a couple of magazines and was not opposed to it. Couldn't ask for more than that. ;) Both my friends were so impressed with it, that after the first of the year, they are going to get one for their "collection".

Most of the membership here doesn't know what they don't know either.
Quote:
"I don't know what I don't know",

Don't worry, your 'noob' questions will be no more ignorant than most of the questions we already ask each other.
Quote:
so I'll probably be asking some real "noob" questions.

Aren't we all ... :dunno:
Quote:
I'm looking forward to learning.

I'll post some pictures and a new gun owner review very soon.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:26 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
Welcome to the forum! You got lucky and picked one of the best weapons you could have for a beginner. The Hi Point carbine is a very forgiving weapon that is not complicated and is a hoot to shoot.

Looking forward to any questions you may have.

Enjoy!

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:37 pm 

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'm enjoying going through the site, reading a variety of subjects and opinions. LOTS of opinions! :roflol:

Going tomorrow for some one on one pistol instruction from a NRA instructor at a local training facility. Want to start off with proper safety and build a foundation from there.

While I purchased the HP 995TS for my first rifle, I'm pretty sure I'm going with the Smith and Wesson 9mm M&P Shield for my first concealed carry gun. Just have to find a dealer that actually has one of the Massachusetts compliant models in stock. :groan:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:58 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
Welcome from Arizona!

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:35 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9-Comp
Welcome from Utah!

a73elkyss wrote:
Just have to find a dealer that actually has one of the Massachusetts compliant models in stock. :groan:

What's the issue for Mass, mag capacity? :dunno:

Other guns owned: Various and sundry...lets just say I can launch any of the following ammo...8mm & 7mm Mauser, 7.62X54R or 7.62X39 or 7.62X25, 7.5X55, 9X18, 9X19, .380, .40, .45, .22, .22 mag, .22WRF, .223, 12 ga, 20ga., .30-30, .300 Savage, .303 Brit, 7.62 NATO, and .30-06...so if you want to get rid of some, let me know!!!

He who laughs last........................thinks slowest!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:25 pm 

ajole wrote:
Welcome from Utah!

a73elkyss wrote:
Just have to find a dealer that actually has one of the Massachusetts compliant models in stock. :groan:

What's the issue for Mass, mag capacity? :dunno:

Hello Ajole. Thanks for the welcome. Sad to say, Massachusetts has some very strange laws and only Massachusetts compliant weapons can be sold / possessed here.
As far as I can tell, and I'm a total noob to the sport/hobby, yes, the magazine can only hold a maximum of 10 rounds, the trigger has to have an above normal trigger pull, the gun has to be able to pass some kind of drop test and other constraints that quite frankly, I don't understand.
Plus, if the state AG doesn't "approve" the gun (even after the manufacture jumps through all the hoops and makes a "Massachusetts" compliant gun, that weapon cannot be sold here.

Again, as new gun owner, it is mind numbing to do the right thing here in this state.

Luckily for me, I love my HP 995TS and it is perfectly legal here. I don't really complain about the low capacity of the magazine, because I can't have one here anyway. My solution is that I purchased the two magazine stock holders from HP. So, with one magazine loaded, I'm carrying 30 rounds that I just have to learn how to proficiently change them in a rapid fashion. :doublegun:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:09 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9-Comp
a73elkyss wrote:
As far as I can tell, and I'm a total noob to the sport/hobby, yes, the magazine can only hold a maximum of 10 rounds, the trigger has to have an above normal trigger pull, the gun has to be able to pass some kind of drop test and other constraints that quite frankly, I don't understand.
Plus, if the state AG doesn't "approve" the gun (even after the manufacture jumps through all the hoops and makes a "Massachusetts" compliant gun, that weapon cannot be sold here.

Sounds like California's system of strange laws that do nothing to protect anyone.

Glad you are getting to enjoy your new toy! :D

Other guns owned: Various and sundry...lets just say I can launch any of the following ammo...8mm & 7mm Mauser, 7.62X54R or 7.62X39 or 7.62X25, 7.5X55, 9X18, 9X19, .380, .40, .45, .22, .22 mag, .22WRF, .223, 12 ga, 20ga., .30-30, .300 Savage, .303 Brit, 7.62 NATO, and .30-06...so if you want to get rid of some, let me know!!!

He who laughs last........................thinks slowest!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:56 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
Yeah, The laws don't protect anyone, they make it much, much harder for a person to legally protect themselves, and for the most part they are designed as false hope for the hand-wringing public of soccer moms and dads who have an aversion to real life anyway. :dunno:

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail