Hipointtalk.net

Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: General Terms and Shooting Hints.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:36 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
FTF - Fail To Fire is caused by a few things, bad ammo, bent firing pin, or weak firing pin spring.

FTE - Fail To Eject can be caused by limp wristing, in which there is not enough recoil to allow the slide to fully cycle. The movement of the gun/hand/wrist absorbs the recoil instead of the slide. A faulty extractor, extractor spring, or ejector can also cause this. On HiPoint firearms, the ejector is the firing pin.

Nose-up could be caused by the feed lips of the magazine not being wide enough to allow the tail end of the round to pass through. The tail of the round gets hung on the feed lips. Could also be caused by a feed ramp that isn't smooth, forcing the nose of the round upwards over a bump on the ramp. Limp wristing may also be the culprit.

Stovepipe is a type of FTE. The slide doesn't cycle fully and catches the tail end of the casing. Sometimes caused by limp wristing. This is what I was taught a stovepipe was, others refer to a nose up jam as a stovepipe.

Double feed would most likely be caused by a mag spring that is too tight/strong. This forces more than would round into the chamber. Sometimes it can be user error also, you are trying to correct one jam and you pull the slide back far enough to allow another round to be released by the mag.

Slam fire is caused by a weak or faulty sear spring. The spring is not strong enough to push the sear up so that it can catch the firing pin and hold it in the charged position. When the slide is allowed to 'slingshot' into battery (forward position), the firing pin moves with it striking the primer hard enough to fire the round (Ask Strangerous!!)

FTF (Fail To Feed) is a general term for a nose-up or nose-down jam. They can be caused by a rough, or misshapen, feed ramp, mag springs being too strong/tight, mag feed lips improperly positioned, or limp wristing (the slide does not complete a full cycle which in turn does not allow the round to reach the correct angle/position before the slide moves forward into battery).

Before attempting any modifications or adjustments, such as polishing the feed ramp or adjusting the mag feed lips, ensure you gun has completed at least a 200-500rd break-in period (may be more for some), and you are 100% sure you are not limp wristing. You may find that an unwarranted adjustment may cause issues after the break-in period is completed. The adjusted part also may not have been the cause of the problem, but was in fact caused by limp wristing. It is much more difficult to undo any adjustment than it is to be patient with your HiPoint, and yourself, and correctly diagnose the problem.

With HiPoints, diagnosing, being honest with yourself, and knowing how to correct a limp wrist will go along way. Correcting a limp wrist doesn't mean just squeeze the hell out of the gun. It means to have a good firm grip, a stiff wrist, and a strong forearm. The right style of grip for you will also help, use what you know and what you are comfortable with.

How I learned to hold a firearm has helped me extensively. Basically, push forward on the gun with your dominant hand, which is positioned as high as possible on the back strap (the top, flat portion of the back strap, that is parallel to the slide, is where the webbing between your thumb and index finger should be tightly positioned), with the trigger finger and thumb on opposite sides, parallel to the slide. Then pull back on the gun with your off hand, which has it's fingers wrapped around the front of the dominate hand fingers, thumb parallel to and tucked slightly beneath dominate thumb. This grip will negate most of the motion caused by the recoil and will bring the nose of the gun back down faster allowing quicker, more accurate follow up shots. This also helps to prevent limp wristing, which will eliminate a vast majority of your problems.

"Compiled by Broomhead"

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: General Terms and Shooting Hints.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:24 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
Good thinking.

Illegitimi non carborundum

I will be seeing you later Brother Woody!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:17 pm 
So Long
So Long

Nice of you to post that.. thanks waltham

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:16 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

No problem guys, just make sure to refer new people to it so they will know what we are talking about and they can start out with a little knowledge.

Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:53 pm 
So Long
So Long

of course

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:14 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Excellent post! I need to read it again. Many of those terms I've heard but have not experienced so didn't really know what they meant. I guess I shoulda bought one of those spensive guns instead! :lol:

Hi-Point: Break into my house and see if they work!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:56 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Mornin waltham41
This is good info for a new Boy (me), Thanks..

** Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet. **

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:36 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
good stuff

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:17 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Thanks to Broomhead. That is his creation, I just made it a sticky so we could all learn from it. Thanks Broomhead!!!!

Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

ImageImage

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:41 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

No problem guys. It is my pleasure. If I ever get a carbine, I'll work up one for them too. Maybe even general rifles, pistols, revolvers, etc. Don't know though. What do y'all think?

Illegitimi non carborundum

I will be seeing you later Brother Woody!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:35 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Waltham,You lost me buddy.Since when on an HP did the ejector become the firing pin. Was that a misstype,I hope? All of mine have a firing pin.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:12 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Nope, that is how it works Jakgass. You have the extractor claw that pulls the empty brass out of the barrel, and then it comes back and hits the firing pin, which causes it to spin out of the ejector port.

Always good to have a spare firing pin for your weapon, you never know when it will bend.

Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

ImageImage

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:19 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

waltham41 wrote:
Always good to have a spare firing pin for your weapon, you never know when it will bend.

This brings up a good point: where would we get spares for HP pistols? Some other firearms have spring kits, roll pins, firing pins, etc, etc, etc available. I don't want to buy a whole new pistol but some common spares would be nice "just in case."

HI-Point C9 9MM
Hi-Point JCP 40SW
Smith and Wesson SW99 45ACP
Mossberg ATR100 .270
Rock River AR15 .223
Norinco SKS 7.62x39
Marlin 60 .22LR
Kreskie 20Gg SBS

[color=#800000]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:53 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Call Hi Point for the corresponding weapon, we have a phone thread here on the forum. Ask to talk to a gun tech and explain to them that you would like an extra firing pin to have on hand in case yours bends. Usually they are good about just sending one out in the mail to you.

If you get one that says no, wait a day or two call back and hopefully you will get a different tech on the phone.

Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

ImageImage

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:02 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Waltham, You're a mensch

HI-Point C9 9MM
Hi-Point JCP 40SW
Smith and Wesson SW99 45ACP
Mossberg ATR100 .270
Rock River AR15 .223
Norinco SKS 7.62x39
Marlin 60 .22LR