Hipointtalk.net

Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Tue May 30, 2017 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Went ammo hunting
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:14 pm 

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
waltham41 wrote:
I try to keep at least 500 rds per weapon caliber in emergency reserve, plus I am set up to reload for all of my calibers,

We cannot trust the commercial sector to always have ammo, the future has too many questions in it,.

I know building up a reserve is a pain, but it may pay off if things get as bad as many people think that it will

Update for Jan. '13. It is very difficult to even find any ammo, but I'm slowly finding boxes here and there. I'm up to a reserve of 950 rounds. I have a local gun shop putting away a case of American Eagle for me on Tuesday's delivery. So, that should get another 1K rounds. Hopefully it shows up.
I also am on a waiting list for a S&W Shield 9mm, so I'm going to need ammo for that also. As you guys have said, "ammo doesn't go bad"....

GOAL Member '12
MFS Member '13
NES Member '13
"Welcome to my home. That door you just kicked in was locked for YOUR protection, not mine."
"You threaten my family "I" am the first responder"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:22 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
Boxer primed ammo will eventually start getting less dependable as the years go by, especially if its not stored properly, but you are about the same age as me and you will go bad before the ammo does ;)

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:12 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
Too late! :shock: He's already gone bad, he's storing insane amounts of ammo! Who could possibly need more than 10 rounds ...EVER!!?? :hmmm: :whistle:

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:02 am 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Evening gents. Anyone have trigger time with PPU(Prvi partizan) ammo? Just picked up a box for cheap from Wally World and have read a lot of mixed reviews on the web. People claim the stuff works flawlessly for them as often as others claim FTE every 3rd or 4th round. Can't complain about a $20 post tax price per 50 of (supposedly) hollows, though. After seeing this youtube video as well as this one, I'm debating on adding a deeper notch to the top of them to aid expansion. Thoughts on that? Good move? Bad move? First hand experience doing so?

Enjoy your weekend folks.

~ DavieJones ~

“Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”
~Plato

I don't own a gun to look for, or start a fight. I own a gun to finish a fight I never wanted to be in.

"Never give up your guns... Gun control is about power and total power over the people."- Stanislav Mishin(disarmed Russian journalist)
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/01/01/Disarmed-Russian-Columnist-Warns-Americans-Never-Give-Up-Your-Guns

Politics = Poly[more than usual; excessive; abnormal] + ticks[blood sucking parasite]

"To conquer a nation, first disarm its citizens" - Adolf Hitler 1933

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:13 am 

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
DavieJones wrote:
Evening gents. Anyone have trigger time with PPU(Prvi partizan) ammo? Just picked up a box for cheap from Wally World and have read a lot of mixed reviews on the web. .......Thoughts on that? Good move? Bad move? First hand experience doing so?

Enjoy your weekend folks.

~ DavieJones ~

I'd be curious also. For some reason, the PPU's are the only ones left at WallyWorld, so I have to wonder why. I guess for me, I think I'll stay away until I hear from some you guys with real world experience running it through our HP's.

GO PATRIOTS!

GOAL Member '12
MFS Member '13
NES Member '13
"Welcome to my home. That door you just kicked in was locked for YOUR protection, not mine."
"You threaten my family "I" am the first responder"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:40 am 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
I've used it in several calibers ( 7.62x38R, 9x18, .303 British, 9x19, 7.62x39, .32 S&W, .32 acp ... and maybe others )

I find it to be good ammo. If the price is right go for it.

http://www.prvipartizan.com/

DavieJones wrote:
Evening gents. Anyone have trigger time with PPU(Prvi partizan) ammo? ...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:49 am 
Fanatic
Fanatic

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
I've only used one box of it so far. Didn't have any problems with it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:01 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ETKD wrote:
I've only used one box of it so far. Didn't have any problems with it.

I just went through 50 today. Not too bad. I wrote about them in my range report. Check it out here.

~ DavieJones ~

“Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”
~Plato

I don't own a gun to look for, or start a fight. I own a gun to finish a fight I never wanted to be in.

"Never give up your guns... Gun control is about power and total power over the people."- Stanislav Mishin(disarmed Russian journalist)
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/01/01/Disarmed-Russian-Columnist-Warns-Americans-Never-Give-Up-Your-Guns

Politics = Poly[more than usual; excessive; abnormal] + ticks[blood sucking parasite]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:40 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

A lot of people dont like PPU ammo because its made in Serbia. I use it and sell it and have not had any problem with it and have not heard of any problems with it. I would not hesitate to buy it.

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:10 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After shooting it today, I agree completely waltham. Only word of caution I can provide to those on the fence is to not count on JHP type behavior if you're shooting their "JHP" labeled ammunition. For exact reasons why, revert back to my first comment in this thread that contains the youtube videos. Zero expansion, but they certainly go bang.

All the opinions and second hand info in the world can't make up your mind for you. Just gotta get to the the range and burn through a box.

~ DavieJones ~

~Plato

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:00 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
tservo wrote:
Finally, for any reloaders out there; what's the break-even point where reloading becomes economical? 100 rds a month? 1000? The engineering geek in me thinks it would be fun and interesting, but I don't know if I shoot enough to justify the cost of all the dies, scales, presses, powder, etc...

There is no set amount per month. You have startup expense of press, powder, primers, bullets. Say your setup cost you $450.

Now, say you are buying cheap defense ammo...Winny White box JHP in .40/180gn. How much does 50 rounds cost you?

Calculate your cost per round to build them here: http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

You will reach a point where all your initial investment is returned, depending on what you reload and how much you shoot.

This brings us to the real question... Will you save any money? Per round, yes! Overall you will likely find that you shoot more because
it's more affordable. The increase in your shooting means you likely will not "save" money but can shoot much more for the same.

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:23 pm 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Prvi is great ammo, I shoot their 308 and .40 all the time. If you find it, don't hesitate to get it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:07 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank god your wife had enough sense to catch that difference! That's not a knock on your SO in any way. I don't know how experienced of a shooter she is, but I would assume many people would miss that red flag due to inexperience. Glad no one got hurt! Wish I could say the same for your CZ-82 though...

~ DavieJones ~

~Plato

Profile E-mail