Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Loaded mags?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:38 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
Anyone leave factory mags loaded? Lots of conflicting opinions on the wear topic so hoping someone has real hipoint experience on this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Loaded mags?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:03 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
In my experience, the HP mags NEED to be left full when new as they are usually too tight on the spring.
My G22 Glock ALWAYS has loaded mags and has been that way for 5 yrs. I wouldn't worry about it... They
have MOMs lifetime warranty!
:thumbsup:

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:04 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
I have mags for my P95 that were kept loaded that the spring seems to be a bit weak, but they aren't high quality mags to start with. I have a bunch of AR mags that stay loaded and a bunch that aren't, and I use them both as I can and notice no difference between the two. I think it all goes down to the quality of the spring itself.

http://elby.yolasite.com/ Mosin sight tools

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/blrobinso ... geOffset=2
My fantasy novels and C&R Bound Book

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Loaded mags?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:53 am 
Passerby
Passerby

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
Ex_ISP wrote:
In my experience, the HP mags NEED to be left full when new as they are usually too tight on the spring.
My G22 Glock ALWAYS has loaded mags and has been that way for 5 yrs. I wouldn't worry about it... They
have MOMs lifetime warranty!
:thumbsup:

Great point on the warranty!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:16 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

I've had my c9 for about five years and it's been loaded and ready the entire time, I keep all my mags topped off regardless. Whats the point of having a house full of guns if I have to fumble around looking for bullets to put in a mag before I put the mag into the firearm? I keep the mags full and in the guns. The only thing I don't do is keep one in the chamber of any of them but I do not keep the safety on either. I'm not paranoid, I'm not a prepper, and I live far from any danger so why do I do this? Because I can. I have no kids, no kids visits, and my dogs don't have opposable thumbs so they can't rack slides or charge the AK. I am slow to wake up so in the EXTREMELY (repeat that many times) unlikely event I'd need to be ready with a firearm (I sleep upstairs and all my guns are downstairs BTW), I want it to be as idiot proof as possible. That's just me and I don't encourage others to follow me in any fashion or style. So when you come in the house and can get by all my dogs, the guns are yours, just don't wake me up, that pisses me off and I DO sleep with a tire banger next to me... :x

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:53 am 
Fanatic
Fanatic

OK 007, I'm different. I load my C9s and 380s with 5. When people come over to shoot, I can keep track of 5. There's 5 in a row in the box. Stopping after 5 means they aren't shooting my ammo like crap through a tin horn. I know I have to make every shot count 'cause there's only four in the mag and one in the pipe. It's supposed to be easier on the spring, so the one in the living room has 5, the one in the bathroom has 5, the one in the bedroom has 5.... I suppose it would be different if I lived in the hood or my associates were sporting gang tats, but I load 5.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:37 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am even more different!

When people come over to my place if they want to shoot they bring their own ammo.

I do not buy large capacity magazines so I can load them half full. I buy them so I will have more shots than I can count in case there are more threats than I can count.

If a magazine takes a set when fully loaded it is defective and the spring needs replacement. No some set and resulting malfunction should not be expected. And just because it "does not feel right" does not mean it is defective. Failing to function means it is defective. I say this because I have noted a trend among the group to not get to the range but once each two or three years, so everything is determined by "feel".

I have seen well made magazines hold rounds and function flawlessly after 10 years storage. Unless I see the topic on a forum discussion I do not even think about it, keep my mags loaded, and never let "spring set" cross my mind.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:08 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
I gotta agree with Randy. If you get past my dogs (the hard part) and don't wake me (I sleep pretty hard) it's all yours.

I do keep a loaded gun in my night stand, not chambered. I don't want to wake up and shoot someone that don't need shootin'. If I have to chamber a round first I'll have better judgement.

All my kids have a key to my house in case of emergency but my dogs will still bark at them.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:58 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

George Taylor wrote:
OK 007, I'm different. I load my C9s and 380s with 5. When people come over to shoot, I can keep track of 5. There's 5 in a row in the box. Stopping after 5 means they aren't shooting my ammo like crap through a tin horn. I know I have to make every shot count 'cause there's only four in the mag and one in the pipe. It's supposed to be easier on the spring, so the one in the living room has 5, the one in the bathroom has 5, the one in the bedroom has 5.... I suppose it would be different if I lived in the hood or my associates were sporting gang tats, but I load 5.

:thumb: Every madness has meaning... :whistle:

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:07 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Tincup wrote:
I am even more different!

When people come over to my place if they want to shoot they bring their own ammo.

I do not buy large capacity magazines so I can load them half full. I buy them so I will have more shots than I can count in case there are more threats than I can count.

If a magazine takes a set when fully loaded it is defective and the spring needs replacement. No some set and resulting malfunction should not be expected. And just because it "does not feel right" does not mean it is defective. Failing to function means it is defective. I say this because I have noted a trend among the group to not get to the range but once each two or three years, so everything is determined by "feel".

I have seen well made magazines hold rounds and function flawlessly after 10 years storage. Unless I see the topic on a forum discussion I do not even think about it, keep my mags loaded, and never let "spring set" cross my mind.

I do believe 'spring set' is the design of modern crappy quality in everything. Not really the same thing but I use 120 year old farming implements that use original springs that are left at the same tension or tightened as necessary (not very often actually) and work as good as the day they left the maker. A good spring is a good spring. Not something that is NOT common in these days of throwaway quality.

I see ads touting 'silicone whatever' springs; this metallurgical marvel formed into a spring is supposed to be most superior. Time will tell as with most new takes on the tried and true.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:13 pm 

Springs, like most things, wear from usage. Keeping a magazine loaded does nothing..like others said, if they do wear out -Hi-Point has a #1 warranty! Happy shooting!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:40 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

I'll add that usually what wears out springs in the continued compression and decompression... not so much being left compressed, though this too will eventually have some effect.

Alexander Hamilton

them."

Thomas Jefferson

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:41 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

gbeecher wrote:
Springs, like most things, wear from usage. Keeping a magazine loaded does nothing..like others said, if they do wear out -Hi-Point has a #1 warranty! Happy shooting!

:thumb:

Kinda like the outside edges get worn away from rubbing constantly on the mag walls and the spring wire gets thousandths thinner meaning it gets that much weaker. Lube helps but in a mag cleanliness is likely NOT optimal at all times so that same lube picks up and hold abrasives. Dry lube might be better but then if it is truly dry there is NO migration to the points it needs to lube once those points have moved and worn the lube off of over time...'Over time' meaning in the course of a day (or hours) at the range, NOT a year in a holster.

Just food for thought...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:43 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Dang it! I'm going to have to start reading posts before typing! :great: :great:

gbeecher wrote:

Alexander Hamilton

them."

Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:44 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Ex_ISP wrote:
Dang it! I'm going to have to start reading posts before typing! :great: :great:

gbeecher wrote:

What fun would that be... :dunno:

Profile E-mail