Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I took my 8yr old to the local range this morning
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:18 pm 
Collector
Collector

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
I took my 8yr old boy and his buddy to H&H indoor gun range this morning. What can I say? He's a natural just like his old man. He mostly shot the rental .22 pistol but both of the ones we tried were so foul they wouldn't run a full mag without a failure to feed. That was frustrating him so when he asked to try my 1911 I wasn't surprised but I was cautious.
He tripped off that first shot and almost hit himself in the face with his hands. I figured that'd be the end of that but he just laughed and said "Whoa!" Then went ahead and emptied the magazine into the target. He loved it and the recoil didn't bother him one bit until it started really stinging his hand. He shot the .22 much better after trying the .45.
I'm so proud of him! Such a trooper and on his way to being a crack shot. Now he wants a target .22 of his own and I just might get him one.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: I took my 8yr old to the local range this morning
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:43 pm 
Guru
Guru

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
Good deal.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:36 am 
Collector
Collector

Yeah he loved it. I'm thinking real serious about getting him his own rifle or maybe just a real good pellet rifle so he can practice at Home.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 am 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
Nothing wrong with a pellet rifle, he can work on the basics at home for not a lot of money.

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:33 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
I agree with Walt. My daughter's first gun was a Red Ryder BB gun. A pellet rifle would be more powerful, I know, but I didn't want to drop a bunch of money into a gun I wasn't sure she would stick with.
Great news hearing he picked right up on the skill. I'm also very impressed that he handled the .45 like a champ. :thumb:

Fill your hands, you son of a bitch! - Rooster Cogburn
Revenge is a meal best served cold!
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer!
I wouldn't be so paranoid, if everyone wasn't out to get me!
Officially a friend of a sadistic dirty old man. Lol.
It's always raining in my head. - Staind
Killing Is My Business, And Business Is Good! - Dave Mustane. - Megadeth.
http://www.military.com/video/operation ... 618611001/
HPT SNIPER

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:50 am 
Collector
Collector

Yeah I was pretty surprised at how well he handled the 45. He even kept all his shots in the torso target and one in the neck.
When he switched back to the 22 he shot better for whatever reason. Maybe just learned to use the sights better and not fear the recoil. Who knows but whatever the reason he is going to be a crack shot eventually. I'm pretty sure he will stick with it, his mom and I both shoot grandparents and pretty much everyone he wants to please all shoot and encourage him to keep after it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:40 pm 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

trkkshotbry wrote:
... his mom and I both shoot grandparents and pretty much everyone...

whu? That's not nice at all! My kid (11 y.o.) loves the 1911. Same story in shooting a .22 after the .45, worlds of difference. I do believe it's because of the recoil issue. Keep him shooting!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:44 pm 
Collector
Collector

Lol. Syntax is everything huh.
I meant to say that all his grownups shoot and encourage him. He would like to try.his hand at skeet but just can't swing a 12 gauge. Might have to look around for a single shot 20 gauge or 410.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:16 pm 
Guru
Guru

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
Not sure how big your kid is, but I'd recommend a .410 over a 20 gauge at 8 years old. When my little brother was about that age he shot a 20 gauge and the recoil was too much for him. Turned him off from shooting for a while.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:19 pm 
Collector
Collector

Good point. Also a 410 would ingrain good habits. You get to hitting everytime with.a.410 you'll never miss with a 12

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:59 pm 
Collector
Collector

Wow, old thread but I thought I'd throw an update on here.
My boy is now 10. I did end up getting him a pellet rifle to share with his sisters.
His (now 12) yr old sister is a crack shot. She can make fine size holes in a target up to 50yds away with the Ruger 10/22 I bought.
Yes the Ruger wears a bull barrel and 4X scope.
His (now 6) yr old little sister is following big sis step for step and can reliably hit a three inch target at 50yrds.
But the boy would rather dump mags as fast as his trigger finger will work. Break extractors cause he works it so fast, bitch about reloading his own mags and complain about how heavy the rifle is while his two sisters are calmly center punching bullseyes at twice the distance, loading their own and shooting off of a rest because they have the patience to try for good shots not just make a ton of noise and maybe get every 3rd or 4th round into a 5 inch circle at 25yds.
He says he wants a machine gun and gets butt hurt when I say "Why? You can't shoot the gun you've got."
I know I'm screwing this up somehow but can't figure out where. If I leave him alone he complains his sisters git all my attention, if I pay attention to him he gets frustrated because I'm trying to coach him and he just wants to burn ammo with no discernable purpose as far as I can tell it certainly isn't hitting targets or he would try to listen to my advice. I think I've proven I can coach a shooter judging by the targets my wife and two daughters bring me.
You guys have any experience with kids that won't listen, then blame you for their poor performance?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:21 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

I had one stepson that I gave up on as untrainable. He would not listen even to the basics of safety. I finally told the wife to just keep that one away from guns, he is an accident waiting to happen. She took my advice.

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:31 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Whew trkkshotbry, You do ask a good question there!! Boys will be boys, no doubt about that...
I know how my Dad would handle it. He'd calmly say, "Stop shooting up my ammo so fast and hit the target."
Then, when I got done blasting through another clip of ammo and missing the target, He'd take a hold of the rifle, and without any warning, punch me in the side of the head.
I'd get up off the ground and dust myself off, put my glasses back on and he'd hand the rifle back.
I'd reload and slowly, carefully, aim, fire and hit the target. And nothing else would be said about it.
Of course, now days that's called "Child Abuse". But it was a sure indication to me that he meant what he said. And with 8 kids, Dad didn't waste any time with "diplomacy"...
It was his version of "instant ritalin" maybe!

Other than that, you can challenge the boy to do better. Make it a bit of a competition between you and him or the girl and him.
And if that doesn't work, humiliation can get you a long ways too. If the girl can shoot better than him, some good old fashioned name calling, like, "You Pansy-Ass!!" and "You can't do as good as a girl??" might work. But you might want to let the girl in on what your up to and she could help!! :D
If he does good then, praise him!! Pointing out when they do good never hurts.

I'm serious - when the gentle patience approach won't work - The it's time to try hurting some feelings!! And if you get the result you're after and have some success, you can explain why you did what you did. And more often than not, kids will understand you had their best interests in mind you and were trying to make the learn and/or understand something.

I have a feeling I'm going to get :slap: for this post!! But what the hell, it worked for me!!

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”
Article VI, Section 24 of the South Dakota Constitution

I sure miss you Amp - (Dean Stephens) - Wish I could have met you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:58 am 
Collector
Collector

Well for now he gets invited to go shooting with the rest of us. He is conscientious about safety now. He swept his mom with the muzzle once and she grabbed the rifle and scolded him. The next time he swept her she deflected the muzzle upwards and slapped the piss out ofhim. When he was done crying she explained that the slap hurt and embarrassed him but not nearly as bad as he wouldve felt if he had accidentally shot his own mother just being careless.
He improved a little after that but still shows little interest in cultivating the skills of a true rifleman. He knows both his sisters can out shoot him, he just doesn't care. He'd much rather think about his pokemon cards or fossil collection. Maybe I just got the one boy in a thousand that truly isn't interested in guns. I sure hope he grows out of it.
His sisters both enjoy shooting but don't see what all the fuss is about.
My oldest girl just beat one of co-worker / friends in a little impromptu marksmanship contest and she was totally non plussed about beating a grown man at his own game, she's all like "eh, so, you just align the sights and front sight front sight, squeeze. No biggee."
If she can keep up when its time to learn pistols and defensive drills (about 13-15yr old mark) she could be the next Gabby Franco.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:56 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Sounds like you folks got it figured out about as good as you can!! :great:
And if he is interested in anything other than video games, like fossils, I say you're doing pretty good!! At least that's something that might be useful for him later on.
I'd say your kids are ahead of a lot of kids now days - Your kids seem to have some pretty good parents!! :D

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”
Article VI, Section 24 of the South Dakota Constitution

I sure miss you Amp - (Dean Stephens) - Wish I could have met you.

Profile E-mail