Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My first
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:38 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
This is my first YouTube gun review and i selected the JHP. I value your opinions so I have put my flame retardant suit on. Let me know what you think so I can try to make them better. You could even sub if you want to. Really, suggestions are appreciated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSthiHtLk6E

Scott

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: My first
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:37 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
Very good review Scott! Unlike most (perhaps only many) of the reviews on youtube, you failed to fill your review with 30K of "and, um...", and countless uses of "like it's ...."! ;)

Has good flow in your speech and you covered some good topics. Not all, but it's not an armourers course so for it's length, very good!! :great:

Did some shooting, and discussed it. The way it should be! I might say that since this one flows well, do another showing a breakdown and cleaning...

Chris

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:43 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Thanks Ex, I am doing my JCP next and will do a breakdown then. My JCP has some mods done too. I'm working on a steel guide rod now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:45 am 
Collector
Collector

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
Ok you asked for it, so here goes... The first 2 mins went on without a single word spoken, music, or title displayed, not exactly boring but awkward in a way; if you're filming yourself, I'd like for the parts where you're reaching for the camera to press stop to be edited out; if you're gonna talk about take down, I'd like to see it actually done; my favorite vids are always the ones where the host is opinionated, speak more about your personal experience with the gun, your thoughts about the role it plays, your opinion of its performance, reliability, comfort, accuracy, trigger, etc, facts and specs are boring, that's what Wikipedia is for; pace was on the slow side, I like long videos but only if they're providing continuous action and/or info, considering the content that should have been a five minute video, or edited for a 5 min runtime; the talking hands and gun on a table is kind of played out, try a different perspective; and finally, don't take this last one too seriously but when you lean against the bench, it really emphasizes your bosom :)
I saw it wasnt your first youtube vid, but great first effort at a gun review! I'm certain I couldn't do any better... that's why I'm here critiquing yours :D
Good luck on the next one, can't wait to see it!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:41 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Tgm, that's the criticism I needed. I have plenty of videos but no real input. I do get to rambling sometimes. As for the "talking hands", any suggestions? I can work on the tempo a bit. What's wrong with my "man boobs" (jk). My computer is kinda old and I'm looking for some software that doesn't cost a fortune to do some better editing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:10 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
Howdy Scott, First off I'm going to say that TGM hit all the same points I would. Ex hit on some of the points about the >>"and, um...", and countless uses of "like it's << I wouldn't have necessarily thought of (because they weren't there so much.)
Overall good content, my impression is to have a script or at least an outline of what to talk about next and in what order so thinking of what to say next is off the table. And the biggy, the talking hands with a gun just sitting there doing nothing... without a videographer though, this would be hard to prevent. If you widen the shot to include yourself then the video loses perspective but by keeping it focused on the subject it loses the audiences interest. That will be a hard one to solve. I was told in marketing to never have more than two seconds of dead air when you are talking. That's really tough to do when you think about it. But sit and consider how long five or ten seconds of dead air is. It's a lifetime in a video. One more thing I learned, if there is no reason for redundancy- don't. Safety tips being the exception. Don't repeat anything you have already said because that's stretching it into unnecessary filler. A summary at the end is perfectly acceptable however as long as it's called out as such. Saying something like "to sum it all up" or something similar. I tried all this in class, it's seriously harder to do than talk about.

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:32 pm 
Collector
Collector

I think a script would be a great idea, but that depends on how serious you wanna take it. Nonetheless, even an outline of points you want to touch on, whether you reveal it to the audience or just keep it behind the scenes for your own reference, is a no brainer. It would keep the show on track, prevent redundancy, and hugely improve the flow of commentary. Also there's really nothing wrong with talking hands but in the Youtube gun review world when I click on a video and see them, the first thing I'm thinking is "same old thing with a different voice". But maybe thats just me, others may see it as "the standard view", like talking heads are on TV news. Don't know...
You could actually pull off changing focal points without a cameraman if your camcorder has a remote that controls the zoom and a screen which you could flip around so you could be in front of the lens and still see whats being recorded. Otherwise, maybe try another angle, or different backgrounds. That's all I've got... what do you guys think?

Last edited by Thegrossmaster on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:09 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

All the suggestions are great. Sometimes I can get a camera handler but not as often as I'd like. I will try the script though. I'm working on some different camera placement. Currently using my phone for a camera because it does better video than my camera. Trying to find a new one but funds are tight.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:24 pm 
Collector
Collector

Oh, and with regards to editing, you don't need to spend much or any money at all. I've seen a lot of free software produce amazing results.
I usually place a lot of trust in techradar when it comes to these things, and for what it's worth, they say it's "the best"... http://www.techradar.com/news/software/ ... ad-1136264

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:41 pm 
Collector
Collector

Using your phone for a camera?! We're gonna have to do something about that... check this out
http://dx.com/s/camcorder
and
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?Sea ... sPremium=y

Profile E-mail