Hipointtalk.net

Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Long Awaited Range Report!!!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:27 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
Well boys and girls, I finally made it out to the range today. It's been probably 6 months since I've shot my beloved JHP and I made up for some lost time!! I took a bunch of pictures too and had myself a hell of good time!! I got to try out several new things today: I have a bunch of ammo I reloaded on my Load-Master that I finally got to try out. I bought a brass trap and made a stand for it that I used today. And my steel target that I built - I shot the hell out of it today!! I shot from a distance of 30 feet.
My steel target project worked fairly well:

It worked just like I thought as far as planting it in the ground and it stayed in place.
Here is some picture of the targets, just for the hell of it:

You can see they have a blue or red color to them. Since they were all shiny and new, I colored them with a red and a blue marker which made them look like they were anodized.
We did have a little trouble with my target though. The hose clamps I have on the end to hold everything together came loose several times and a couple got their brains rattled out and wouldn't tighten up anymore. I'll fix that by drilling a hole and use a piece of mechanics wire to hold the targets and spacers together.
The other small problem I had was with the 4" round targets. I have several pictures to show on that:

Yep, 3 out of 4 of the 4" round targets broke!! I think the lesson is that you shouldn't weld on tool steel. It makes it brittle! Then when you shoot it, it'll break! I did shoot the crap out of the 4th round steel target, but it wouldn't break. I am going to weld those 3 that broke back together and try them again. It'll be fun to see if they hold. :D
The 3x6 targets are only 1/4" thick and they held up really well. Those small round targets were hard to hit, But I hit all 4 several times! And if you got a good hit, all the targets would really spin. :great:

The brass trap worked good. It didn't work as good as I hoped. Out of 10 shots (9+1) usually at least 1 piece of brass would bounce back out of the brass trap and end up on the ground. Sometimes it was 5 or 6 pieces of brass. But the nice thing about it was the brass that ended up on the ground stayed in one area and was easy to find. I will try tipping the brass trap back some and see if that helps.
Here are a couple pictures:

I'd just stand to the left of it and let the brass fly!!

You can see the brass in the back. When it got pretty heavy with brass, I'd just remove the wing nuts off the bottom and unzip the zipper in the back a couple inches and "pour" the brass into an empty coffee can:

Ended up going thru about 400 :shock: rounds today!!
And the bullets looked like this:

Flattened them down to a nice "splatter" look!!

This is how I usually set things up on the hood of my suburban. I'm glad I brought my 1/4 nut driver. I had to adjust the brass trap a little higher and I used it to tighten the hose clamps on the target several times.

The other thing I was fairly sad about is I believe my JHP came with 2 mags, and I could only find one. I can't figure out what happened to the other one. :neutral: I think I'll be ordering a couple more soon. Maybe the lost one will show up somewhere... My JHP worked great today!! Had 2 that didn't fire. Primer not fully seated, I believe because they showed a light primer hit and worked fine the 2nd time thru. And I did have 2 jams too. But other than that, she went bang every time!! I did notice a difference between my hand-whacker reloads and my Load-Master reloads. The Load-Master reloads seemed a little "snappier". Possibly from a better, more consistent crimp? or better Neck Tension?? Anyway, I'm glad a clip-load of ammo represents 9 pulls of the Load-Master lever instead of 45 minutes of hand priming and powder weighing and plastic hammer-whacking, carpal tunnel inducing labor. :whistle:
Well, I can't even say how much fun I had today!! I have a JHP that needs a good cleaning and some improvements to make on my steel targets. I can see how this steel target contraption I made will be fun with 2 shooters. One shooter takes the left side and the other the right, and see who can hit or spin all the targets 1st.
I also did a little research on how to improve my accuracy. Several places said concentrate on the front sight. I was NOT doing that and I really tried to today. And I'll have to say, that pistol shooting champion guy is right!! It really works!! It's all about that front sight - I was really surprised at how much better I could shoot today. I do know I'll be practicing that a lot more from now on.
And on another minor note - our range can be kind of a bitch to use sometimes. I has a couple cement shooting benches and 100, 200, & 300 yard targets. Usually, us pistol shooters drive up to the 100 yard target and do our shooting there. But, many times, someone else will show up and sit there in their vehicle and wait until you're done - which SUCKS. So I went out there today and found a nice spot a ways off to the side, that had a nice backstop. You can see in my pictures. And while I was there today, sure enough, another guy showed up. The Game Warden no less!! He was very nice and drove over and asked if it was ok if he shot over by the 100 yard target. And I said sure, no problem, that's why I was where I was at. So, I'm happy as hell that I have a place, off to the side and out of the way from the main targets, that I can use and be there as long as I want. But, I bet it won't be long before others figure out my spot and start using it too!!
Well, that's about it!! Probably the worlds longest HPT Range Report!! Hope it wasn't too boring - It was a lot of much needed fun & some good therapy for me!! :cool:

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”
Article VI, Section 24 of the South Dakota Constitution

I sure miss you Amp - (Dean Stephens) - Wish I could have met you.

Last edited by jasonsch on Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Long Awaited Range Report!!!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:56 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9

** Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet. **

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:20 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
Sounds like you had a good time and that's what its all about! Thanks for sharing Jason

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:39 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
WOOHOO! :party: :party: Looks like fun...

The target looks like fun! You used tool steel huh? Perty hard stuff right out of the package...maybe just temper it some? Heat it til it glows bright and let it cool naturally. Might take enough of the existing temper out to keep it from breaking :dunno: maybe just the heat from welding all the way across will to. Maybe run some heavy beads across the back from the center to the edge to relieve the stress?

Save the lead! You will likely graduate soon to pouring your own and lead is lead. Use cat litter scoop and be the envy of all your shooting buddies :whistle: :ninja:

BTW---Where's the snow!? Where's the cold??!! We just got another 4-6 inches this morning ... It's now almost considered deep in my yard. Maybe ten inches or more, hard to tell because the wind has moved it all over.

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:22 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

That metal is called "stress-proof" and is pretty tough stuff, but yet easy to machine. They put lots of sulfur and phosphorus in it as well as some lead, to make it easier to machine. I guess the sulfur and phosphorus is what makes it brittle when you weld it and makes the weld porous. And, in a low shock usage it'd probably be fine. But repeated shooting with a 45 is probably a "High-Shock" or "Repeated-Shock" use!! :D
I'll grind a nice bevel on them and weld them back together. And I'll weld a couple of small pieces of steel at a right angle to the break on the back of them. Then the next time I shoot them, they'll probably explode like a piece of glass!!
I'm also going to drill some holes in the arms where the targets hang and replace those hose clamps that hold the targets & spacers together. Those darn hose clamps were one of my biggest expenses!! Like a buck-twenty apiece at the local hardware store.
I hope it'll basically be bullet proof (pardon the pun) when I get done. I'm heading out to the garage right now to get started on it.
And as far as the weather goes Randy, I took this picture off my front deck when I walked home from work:

It was a beautiful day today!! Around 50 degrees - supposed to cool off to the mid 30's by the end of the week. It's about time we had a shot of decent weather. :great:

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:44 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

I am starting to wonder if I need to "get a life" here. I go do something, take some pictures, come back here and tell you guys about it and post some pictures. I do actually really enjoy telling you guys what I've been up to!! I hope I'm not "over-doing it" too much - but for whatever reason it does me some good to tell and show everyone out there in HPT land my recent gun-related activities.
Well, with that being said - I have repaired and made a couple of modifications to my steel target. The first thing I did was grind a nice bevel on both sides of all the broken pieces of my 4" round targets that broke. Then I welded them back together. They have a nice looking weld across the front now:

I thought about grinding the weld flat on the front side but figured ah, screw it!! It'll be stronger if I just leave it.
I also welded the backside. And, I also welded another piece of metal to the back that I stood up on edge. It's kind of like an "extension" to the metal strap with the hole in it, that's already welded to the back. Here is a picture of the back of 3x6 rectangle and the 4" round:

You can see how the strap on the back of the 3x6 is welded to the center. The 4" round was that way too. But you can see where I added to it. That should make it harder to break!!
The last modification I did was I drilled an 1/8" hole thru the rebar and put a piece of mechanics wire thru it next to the washer that holds the targets and spacers together. That replaces the hose clamps I was using.
A picture:

If you look close, you can see the bent wire next to the washer.
So. I'm all fixed up and ready to head back to the range for another try!! Maybe tomorrow after work?? Sounds like a good idea to me!! We'll see how it goes!! :yes2:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:51 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Jason there really is no such things as too many posts. when we get people that look forward to coming here and posting that tells me we are doing something right..

Post away my friend! :)

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:10 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

waltham41 wrote:
Jason there really is no such things as too many posts. when we get people that look forward to coming here and posting that tells me we are doing something right..

Post away my friend! :)

Thanks Phil!! Sometimes I guess I worry too much... I am getting to be an HPT addict, that's for sure!! :D
Well, I did go back to the range again today and launched another 100 of so projectiles. Weather was warm but the dog-gone wind was really blowing!! So, I left my fancy freshly welded steel target contraption at home and shot some paper. I unloaded 2 or three clips into this target:

I also shot a lot of other things - empty .410 shot-gun shells, several plastic bottle caps, pieces of a bowling ball and a golf ball - what ever crap that was laying around out there. Those shot-gun shells would really fly up in the air if you hit them just right!! I had delusions of shooting one so it would fly in the air, and shoot it again before it hit the ground but a guy shouldn't be shooting his gun skyward while so close to town.
The golf ball was a blast too!! I must have nailed it because that baby must have flown a 100 feet down range!! :cool:
And don't ask me why, but there is a inline 6 cylinder diesel engine out at the range. The cylinder head is not on it and it's laying on it's side, just off to the right of the 100 yard target. (you just know this probably isn't going to be good...) Well, the top of those aluminum pistons were saying "Shoot me!! Shoot me!!", so with the last 10 rounds I had left, I chose the #3 piston and blasted away!! I was leaning over the hood of my suburban and the 2nd to last shot, I thought I "heard" something... Hmmm, :thinkin: Oh well, and fired my last round. Put my stuff away and went over looked at that piston top I had just shot the hell out of. It had a few dents is all. I figured a 45 would shoot a hole in it, but it didn't!! Tuff aluminum...
So, I take one last look around my suburban to see if I missed any brass and I saw this: :shock:

That wasn't there when I left the house!! Fairly nice on my poor old suburban!! So I think I'll not be shooting at things that I shouldn't be shooting at, from now on. It does make a person wonder: Who the hell brings an old engine to a shooting range? I mean, did some guy stop out to sight his rifle in and he thinks to himself, "Hmm - Instead of taking this old wore out engine to the scrap yard, I'll just back my pick-up up over here and throw it out on the ground next to this target." :dunno: And, like I said, It's a fairly large engine!! 2 guys couldn't pick it up, No Way!!
This is how much ammo I have shot in the last 2 days:

I guess I'll have some ammo to reload when the weather gets bad again... :) It's supposed the get colder again by the weekend. :roll: I went shooting again today because we're supposed to have high winds for the next two days an have highs only in the thirties by Thursday thru Sunday.
Well, it was fun while it lasted!! :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:20 am 

It look's like you had a good time out I like the steel targets our's still under 2 foot of snow yet great pics thanks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:42 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

You are Welcome kosh!! (-:
Will Post some video of the target "in-action" as soon as it warms up again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:55 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

nice set up!, i am envious, the place i shoot is still snow and ice, made it out once this year to shoot

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:16 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

ricky_g wrote:
nice set up!, i am envious, the place i shoot is still snow and ice, made it out once this year to shoot

Yes, we're snowed in again here!! I keep hoping we are going to have some consistently warm weather soon. I am excited to get back to the range and see if any other parts are going to fly off this target contraption I made. I will say that it is a blast to shoot!! :great:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:05 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

It was nearly 40 degrees this morning when I left for work at 4:15 - they say it might get up to 64 today!!! YES!! Melt the snow, then dry up the mud...
40's for Friday, 50's for Saturday, and UPPER 60's Sunday!!!

:party: :doublegun: :party: :cool: :party:

:minigun: If it's dry enough, going to the range again for sure sometime this weekend. :minigun:

I am anxious to see if my "weld job" is going to hold on my 4 inch round targets!! I'm going to guess that it stays fixed and no more breaks.
Only one way to find out!! I'll have to give them a good "test" by shooting the hell out of them!!

SO GLAD to have some nice warm weather.... :D

Amp, you don't have to say anything... unless you want to!! :neutral:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:28 pm 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
I've been to South Dakota -- I'm assuming the temp is Kelvins.
jasonsch wrote:
It was nearly 40 degrees this morning when I left for work at 4:15 - they say it might get up to 64 today!!! YES!! Melt the snow, then dry up the mud...
40's for Friday, 50's for Saturday, and UPPER 60's Sunday!!!

:party: :doublegun: :party: :cool: :party:

:minigun: If it's dry enough, going to the range again for sure sometime this weekend. :minigun:

I am anxious to see if my "weld job" is going to hold on my 4 inch round targets!! I'm going to guess that it stays fixed and no more breaks.
Only one way to find out!! I'll have to give them a good "test" by shooting the hell out of them!!

SO GLAD to have some nice warm weather.... :D

Amp, you don't have to say anything... unless you want to!! :neutral:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:30 pm 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595

° F = 9/5(° K - 273) + 32