Hipointtalk.net

Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Long Awaited Range Report!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:24 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
Well, They're Done!! The shop foreman made twice as many as I asked for. :thumb:
I asked for 8 of them and he made me 16!! That was how much scrap they had left
on a sheet of 7ga (.179 thick) they were cutting parts out of.

They're a 4 inch circle with a 4-1/2 inch "extension" on top with a .570 hole lasered in it. I'll have to
clamp them in my vise and turn the "extension" part on top a half-turn so the shaft hole will be
at 90 degrees to the 4 inch circle. That will make them hang the right way. I thought I'd give this
a try - no welding involved at all and these are much lighter than what I was using. I might just
replace all the spinner targets with these. I'll try to post a picture or two when I get done!!

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”
Article VI, Section 24 of the South Dakota Constitution

I sure miss you Amp - (Dean Stephens) - Wish I could have met you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:33 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
They look great Jason! We definitely want to see the finished product with lead splatters though... just sayin' ;)

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:56 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

These baby's were pretty easy to twist 90 degrees!! Maybe a bit too easy... All it took was a 12 inch crescent wrench to bend them.
Anyway, I replaced 8 spinners with the newly designed spinners:

This isn't a very good picture because of the background,
But I got them all replaced!!

I figured they will probably distort a lot - but not break!! If they do distort and bend a lot, it will sure as heck be easy
to knock back into shape with a hammer and dolly. We'll just have to go to the range and shoot the hell out of
them and see how they hold up!! :D

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:50 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
Looks good. I really like mine but they are not that fancy.

"Contrary to what your mother told you violence can at times solve problems."

"There is only one way to deal with violence is to use greater violence" an Israeli exchange student.

Never shoot a large calber man with a small caliber weapon.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:30 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Well, I went out Sunday morning and went through 415 rounds!! :great:
Boy, did I ever need to go shooting after the somewhat crappy weekend I had. They waxed the floor in our office at work,
and we had to move everything out at the end of last week!! 6 guys in here all with desks and computers and printers and file cabinets, etc.
It was a hell of a lot of work!! Especially our 6ft x 6ft blue-print cabinets - we have 4 of them, each about 3ft tall...
And them move it all back in this Monday... :groan:

Then I had to help my niece with my sisters estate sale last weekend. More moving stuff - loading and unloading a trailer and a couple of
pick-ups several times. And we had a little family ceremony where we buried both my sister and her oldest daughter. Her oldest
daughter was a terrible alcoholic and her liver gave out. She died at the age of 43, a year or so before my sister. My sister didn't
have much luck with raising kids. She was divorced, & had 3 daughters - The oldest I told about above, the middle turned out really good, but she
moved out when she was 16, and the youngest is a 450 pound lying, lard-assed convicted felon that never left my sisters house,
except for when she was in jail... :roll:

My Dad passed in 1985 and my mom passed about 3 years ago at the age or 84. It was a nightmare when my mom passed. Problems with
my dearly departed sister owing mom money and that lard-assed daughter of hers stealing things. So my family basically imploded after that.
Me and a brother and a sister on one "side" and my 5 other siblings on the other "side" - My wife and kids & I were the only ones that
helped my niece with the estate sale... So most of us aren't talking to each other anymore. Which I've found to be a good thing
for the most part - A whole lot less drama!! :D But it is sad to know things will never be the same. It was a tough weekend... :(

So, I really enjoy doing a few things - things that are great as a stress reliever!! One is going to the range and shooting!! I go out on
Sunday mornings when no one else is there. I can take my time spend 2 or 3 hours shooting the hell out out of my spinning targets.
I love the quiet time with just me and and my JHP... :great: And of course reloading is another great activity as well... :D

And so is writing way too long posts here with way TMI... :Smile3:

Anyway, Went to the range Sunday morning (a beautiful cool sunny morning!!) and set up my spinning target contraption and got out
my "pumpkin orange" spray paint and painted the spinners:

Then I set up my brass catcher. You can see I found a couple chunks of concrete to set on the feet of it to keep it upright.
The wind can tip it over pretty easy otherwise. Especially if it has a bunch of brass in it.
You can also see I painted a rock or 3 on the ground. That way I know where 30 feet from the target is - from one week to the next!!

Then I got my beloved JHP out, the 3 mags I have and the ammo:

And after 415 rounds of fun in the sun, those new soft spinners took quite a beating!! :hehlol:
They sure had a different "shape" when I was done!! A couple pictures:

Fairly nice on it!! :Smile3: I took one more picture when I got it home:

Looks like an ice cream scoop!! :D
You can see if I hit them a little high, it really bends the hell out of them!! Makes them "U" shaped even...
And they twist off to one side or the other pretty easy too. None of them broke, that's for sure!! That's why
I tried to get away with tool steel with the first spinners. I was sure they wouldn't bend, but they were too
brittle (or too hard) and broke.

I'll have to decide what to try next. I have 8 more spinners just like these - Should I pound these flat and just
weld 2 together and see if they hold up? That would make them .358 thick (almost 3/8") or should I laser out some
3/8" or 1/2" thick spinners? Those 3" x 6" rectangle spinners are holding up well. They are 1/4" thick and welded to
1/4" x 1" wide flat. those have no twist in them either, which is probably better, but not having to weld anything is
nice too. I'll figure something out - It's kind of fun just seeing what will work!! I'd like to keep things as thin as possible
to keep the weight down.

I had 2 more "bullet stuck in the barrel" squibs and one round where I didn't get a primer in it. I was prepared this time!
I brought along a small rod and the plastic hammer I used to use with me Lee Handloader and tapped the bullets out.
Like before, these were some of my 1st loads with my Load-Master, before I realized I needed to keep a LOT closer
eye on the powder charge. I am fairly confident a squibs like these will likely not happen again...
A picture:

And I'm all out of loaded 45 ammo now - went through the first 2300 rounds I loaded with my Load-Master!!

I'm hoping I can get some more loaded this week sometime. I have all the brass all polished up and ready to go. I used
some load data I found on the internet when I reloaded these and I've since found some data from an actual reloading
manual (Hodgdon) that shows I'm a little light on powder - I'm below the minimum by .5 grains or so...
And the way I am, I'll try to get every piece of brass I have reloaded before I go shooting again!! :whistle:

Well, I had a hell of a good time and can't wait to do it again!! :great:

And, Thank You all for reading!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:10 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
jasonsch wrote:
Well, I went out Sunday morning and went through 415 rounds!!

I'm just jealous. I have to go to an indoor range. My ex is coming out to Florida from Colorado in a month or two. She owes me! I might see if I can get some help moving back to Colorado, somewhere out on the plains where I could shoot and no one could hear. She's in Real Estate, she could find me a little place out in the middle of nothing. That would be heaven after living in Florida for 10 years, nothing but people bitching about everything under the sun, and there's a lot of sun here, and heat.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:22 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

bluharley wrote:
jasonsch wrote:
Well, I went out Sunday morning and went through 415 rounds!!

I'm just jealous. I have to go to an indoor range. My ex is coming out to Florida from Colorado in a month or two. She owes me! I might see if I can get some help moving back to Colorado, somewhere out on the plains where I could shoot and no one could hear. She's in Real Estate, she could find me a little place out in the middle of nothing. That would be heaven after living in Florida for 10 years, nothing but people bitching about everything under the sun, and there's a lot of sun here, and heat.

come on down to SECO, you'll never go back. and for gods sake bring your hi-cap mags. i hate driving to kansas to get them.

Favorite Firearms
Springfield XD 45acp
Mossberg Maverick 88 12g
Remington 7400 30-06
H&R combo rifle 22/.410
Heritage 22 SAA combo
HP 995
Savage 99 .250

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:25 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

jason, how reliable is your brass catcher? ive always resorted to putting a tarp down to my right. and gathering them up.

Favorite Firearms
Springfield XD 45acp
Mossberg Maverick 88 12g
Remington 7400 30-06
H&R combo rifle 22/.410
Heritage 22 SAA combo
HP 995
Savage 99 .250

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:53 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Hmm. Jason, I enlarged your photos and counted how many hits to the plates. You shot 415 rounds and only hit the plates 43 times...

:slap:

Just kiddin bud!
:out:

Looks like a great time had and glad the new plates are working out for you!!!

Alexander Hamilton

them."

Thomas Jefferson

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:22 pm 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
I bet the NYPD recruiter will be callin'!
Ex_ISP wrote:
Hmm. Jason, I enlarged your photos and counted how many hits to the plates. You shot 415 rounds and only hit the plates 43 times...

Just kiddin bud!

:na:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:41 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Ex_ISP wrote:

Just kiddin bud!

I'm surprised I hit it that many times!! ;)
BarnOwl wrote:
jason, how reliable is your brass catcher? ive always resorted to putting a tarp down to my right. and gathering them up.

I absolutely love it!! :great: That's a Caldwell brass catcher and it is just the catcher and a flat plate with a couple 1/4 x 20 holes in it. I had to make a stand for it. Once I got it at the right height and figured out where to position myself so it will catch the brass, it catches almost all of it!! Out of the 415 rounds I shot up, only 4 of them hit the dirt. :thumb:

I just HATE looking around in the dirt and weeds for my brass!! This has a zipper in the back and when it gets a bunch of brass in it, I just unzip it a bit and hold a coffee can up to it and the brass all goes right into the can!! It really works good and makes shooting a whole lot more fun for me.

You can look here too: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=16256&hilit=Caldwell and see how I did it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:58 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

I almost forgot... I found a 22 shell with a lead bullet on the ground when I was out at the range.
I sat it up there and took a shot at it:

I hit the bullet part of it!! Pretty neat, don't you think?? :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:00 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

jasonsch wrote:
Ex_ISP wrote:

Just kiddin bud!

I'm surprised I hit it that many times!! ;)
BarnOwl wrote:

I absolutely love it!! :great: That's a Caldwell brass catcher and it is just the catcher and a flat plate with a couple 1/4 x 20 holes in it. I had to make a stand for it. Once I got it at the right height and figured out where to position myself so it will catch the brass, it catches almost all of it!! Out of the 415 rounds I shot up, only 4 of them hit the dirt. :thumb:

I just HATE looking around in the dirt and weeds for my brass!! This has a zipper in the back and when it gets a bunch of brass in it, I just unzip it a bit and hold a coffee can up to it and the brass all goes right into the can!! It really works good and makes shooting a whole lot more fun for me.

You can look here too: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=16256&hilit=Caldwell and see how I did it.

im with you 100% on brass searching. one of the most miserable parts of the day. especially when you're running and gunning. looks like a brilliant idea. ill have to set them up at stations and see how they do. looks good and great shooting

:nice:

Favorite Firearms
Springfield XD 45acp
Mossberg Maverick 88 12g
Remington 7400 30-06
H&R combo rifle 22/.410
Heritage 22 SAA combo
HP 995
Savage 99 .250

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:51 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

jasonsch wrote:
I almost forgot... I found a 22 shell with a lead bullet on the ground when I was out at the range.
I sat it up there and took a shot at it:

I hit the bullet part of it!! Pretty neat, don't you think?? :D

Just file 'er down and use it! ;) NOT!!!

Alexander Hamilton

them."

Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:54 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

She might be a little "lopsided"!!
Could affect the accuracy a bit... :hehlol:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next