Hipointtalk.net

Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Long Awaited Range Report!!!
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:45 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
Well, boys and girls, 3 months later, I FINALLY took my spinning target contraption back out to the range today!! :great:

I loaded everything up, including my new can of Krylon Pumkin colored paint and headed out!!
Got the target set up and spray painted the spinners.

If you recall, 3 of the 4 big round spinners broke, the 1st time I tried it out. Welded them back on and going to find out today, if they are going to hold up or not...
Got the gun and ammo out:

Hope I brought enough ammo... :roll:
I commenced to spend the next 3 hours, shooting the hell out of that spinning target contraption!! I had a great time!!
I went through 430 rounds of ammo and I still have a big grin on my face!! Damn, was that a lot of fun!! :D

That blue coffee container was empty when I started.

In the next picture, you can see I hit the spinners a few times - not much paint left on them is there??

Also, if you look close at the center row, on the right side, the conduit spacers between spinners are a little farther apart than they should be. I put a flat washer on the end of each row of spinners and used a piece of mechanics wire to keep it there. Well, that mechanics broke and let the washer fall off. I brought a couple extra lengths of wire along, just in case something like this happened.

I saved a bunch of bullet remnants for no good reason I can think of...
Fairly go "Splat", when they hit!!

This is one side:

and the other:

Kinda neat how you can see the copper on both sides of the bullet on the right. These are plated bullets. I'm guessing it hits really square for it to do that.

The next picture is of a couple more "intact" bullets of mine I found. The rifling marks sort of look a little less than good to me. I thought maybe one of you smart fellers might have a look and see what you think.
I'm wondering if these plated bullets are contacting the rifling correctly or not...

I haven't cleaned my JHP for a long time. Probably have a 1,000+ plated bullets shot through it now.
Will clean it now, for sure!!

I also found out today that I CAN get 430 pieces of brass in my Cabala's brass polisher!! Left them in there for 1-1/2 hours and they polished up fine.
My reload pile of brass pile here:

Getting to have quite a brass pile!! I have a few 230 plated bullets to use up, and I have 500 of those 185gr hollow based, plated bullets I should load up too. Then, all I'll have left is the 5,000 200gr plated bullets, after that.

Well, I'm happy my spinning target contraption held together this time!!
And I had one hell of a good time today!! Nothing better than some "Range Therapy" to keep a guy normal. :great:
Thanks for reading!!

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”
Article VI, Section 24 of the South Dakota Constitution

I sure miss you Amp - (Dean Stephens) - Wish I could have met you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:26 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
My God you actually hit those targets. I wish I was decent with a hand gun I have several but just never got the hang of it. Good job.

"Contrary to what your mother told you violence can at times solve problems."

"There is only one way to deal with violence is to use greater violence" an Israeli exchange student.

Never shoot a large calber man with a small caliber weapon.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:35 am 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
It sounds and looks like a GOOOD time.Looks like you used some paint remover. :whistle:

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:02 am 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
Nice project. Looks like your plan came together and you had a good time.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:36 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

verkalak wrote:
My God you actually hit those targets. I wish I was decent with a hand gun I have several but just never got the hang of it. Good job.

Thanks verk!! I shoot from a distance of 30 feet (10 good-sized steps) and Mr. Mahan gets a fair share of credit!!
If you divide 430 shots by 12 spinner targets, there should be 35.833 bullet marks on each spinner target...
You can see I'm a little short of that on some (well, most) of those targets - especially those smaller ones!! :D

When you get a hit, it is a lot more satisfying to hear that metallic "CLANK" and see that target spin, than poke a hole in a piece of paper.

I finally stuck the bore light in the barrel of my JHP, and geez, is it dirty!! I got a bore snake for it a while back and I think I'll take it apart today and give it a good cleaning and lube job.

I'm getting a little excited about doing some reloading soon too. Doesn't hardly seem worth-while with my Load-Master unless I get a 1,000 rounds or so.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:12 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
A bore snake fits perfect in a tin Altoids box. I always make sure to take one with me to the range.

"Contrary to what your mother told you violence can at times solve problems."

"There is only one way to deal with violence is to use greater violence" an Israeli exchange student.

Never shoot a large calber man with a small caliber weapon.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:42 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Looks like a good time shooting that metal target. :thumb: I can imagine hitting it is more satisfying than paper hits. Might be why I don't really shoot paper either, I just shoot at ..stuff...on the ground like you described before; empty shotshells, small rocks, whatever is small and will launch into the air to indicate close enough. I've always felt that if I could hit an object within an inch or two of aim point it's good enough. Putting three bullets into one hole is a good bragging point but not necessary.

I still haven't been out back to shoot however. I need to remove the trees that fell before I can shoot and other stuff has been more important. Today I'm just recouping some because my feet are killing me. But so are my hands, my right elbow and my knees. Must be a low pressure system moving in. :dunno:

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:56 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
Jason I will tell you why you keep the splatted bullets... they are lead and people will buy them from you. ;)

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:19 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

And the parts that are not lead are mostly copper which different people will buy from you.

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:46 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Sounds like I should make a big "bullet catcher" to go behind this spinny target contraption!!
Don't think I can't do it either... We have a Trumf Laser and a bender at work and we cut up 5'x10' sheets
of steel, from .060 to 1-1/8 in thick.

If you guys are serious, the splatted lead bullets I pick up still have some copper stuck to them. Does that
cause a problem? Or when melting the lead, it can be separated?
I should spend more time over at cast boolits maybe... :D

I have thought about shooting pure lead, but the thought of cleaning a lead fouled barrel
keeps me with the plated bullets. Plus, if you buy bullets, lead is about as expensive as, and
sometimes more expensive than, the plated.

I can see how casting your own would be fun, but it'd be time-consuming and not something
I could probably do in my basement. So I'll keep buying bullets. But, if I can offset the cost
a bit by selling the shot bullets, I'd be willing to look into that. Recycle, Reuse, Reduce - Al
Gore would be so proud of me!! Save Mars!! :roll:

So, I guess I'm curious what, like lets say, a gallon bucket of splatted plated bullets would be
worth? Or by the pound or whatever the best way to figure it would be....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:55 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Yup, lead melts at a much lower temp than copper so it will simply separate. Pretty sure the copper will settle to the bottom but don't know for sure since lead is heavier than copper. An old cast iron pot over the Barbie will melt lead OK. DON"T melt lead in the house unless you want to be a drooling mess (well worse than already) :whistle: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:24 pm 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
The copper is less dense (8.9 g/cm^3) than lead (11.342 g/cm^3) so it will float to the top of the melt.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:54 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
Just about anything is less dense than lead and will rise to the top... I have personally melted wheel weights and the steel part of the weight and any rocks or other trash floats on the top and you skim it out to get the pure lead.

Jason there are many different ways to coat a lead bullet to keep it from leading your bore.. and if you shoot a lot you can save a lot of money pouring your own.

If you set up a trap and could recover your bullets you could sell the lead in ingots for around a buck a pound and it doesn't take too much lead to make a pound.

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:43 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Nice writeup with photos Jason!!!

Yes, keep the lead and put it in a "to be smelted" bucket along with any other lead you get. Sell it
or use it, it's all in one place.

Glad the spinners welds held up OK. Sounds like a great time was had, and THAT"S what it's all
about!!!!

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:59 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Ex_ISP wrote:
Nice writeup with photos Jason!!!

Yes, keep the lead and put it in a "to be smelted" bucket along with any other lead you get. Sell it
or use it, it's all in one place.

Glad the spinners welds held up OK. Sounds like a great time was had, and THAT"S what it's all
about!!!!

:D I really did have good time!! Seems like I had so many other things going on - it was a long overdue range trip.
I thought I might get bored shooting at those spinners after a while, but not so far!!
It's fun to see if I can hit each one of those 8 biggest targets, one after the other, with a full 9 round mag - which allows for one miss.
It's harder than you'd think! And to try to do it with some speed is even harder.
Those guys on TV that hit 6 or 8 targets in a matter of a couple seconds, man, they must be good!! clink,clink,clink,clink,clink,clink!!

I was hoping I could get to be a hot-shot like that with my clunky 45, and be on TV with giant "Hi-Point" sponsor emblems on my shirt and hat. Maybe a "Mahan Sight" one too. :great:
During my interview in the winners circle, I'd say stuff like, "Oh, yes!! These Hi-Points are the best made pistol out there. I love them!!"

Gun snobs everywhere would probably just spontaneously combust... :shock: :doublegun: :cool:

But, that's probably not gonna happen... or could it?? :whistle:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next