Hipointtalk.net

Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Long Awaited Range Report!!!
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:52 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
You would probably get death threats in the mail ROFLOL

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:08 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
waltham41 wrote:
You would probably get death threats in the mail ROFLOL

Especially from Colt 1911 lovers....:run:

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:13 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
Well, I might be getting closer to getting those "death threats" from the 1911 guys!!
I went back to the range today with my "spinning metal target contraption" and let another 484 rounds fly in it's general direction!!
Well, it wasn't actually 484 rounds... These were some of the very 1st rounds I reloaded on my Load-Master... Before I totally realized how crappy that 700X powder was as far as going through a powder measure. So I'll show that first.
This was my very 1st, honest to God, bullet in the barrel squib I've ever had:

Hmmm... contingency plan... I had none!! How do we get that ef-ing bullet out of the barrel?? Damn it, is this then end of my shooting today?? Ef-ing squib... Lets see, I need a short stick or short metal rod and a hammer of some kind...
AH-HA!! I got it!!

That's the lever off the tilt steering in my suburban!! Steel rod, just the right length!! Found a nice rock for a hammer and beat that bitch out of there!! I'm back in business!! I'm blasting away and... Damn it!! Another squib!! Man, those things feel weird!!!
So, again:

A shiny plated bullet, giving me the high-finger, stuck in the bore.
So we had this now:

Doing pretty good keeping the tilt lever centered on the bullet, and the rubber cover on the end keeps the metal from scuffing the muzzle of the barrel.
So, we reload and by the end of the 484 rounds I had this: :shock:

Eight, count 'em, yes, eight squibs!! What a PIA!! And I scuffed the back end of my beloved JHP knocking all those bullets out. I set my pistol on the plastic lid off the can I was putting the spent brass in, but it still scuffed it. I didn't take a picture of it, but when I went to put everything away, I noticed I did this to my poor suburban:

Fairly nice on it!! I got a huge bullet dent on the other fender from a ricochet, and now I beat the hell out of the top of the other fender!! Who knew the shooting sports could be so tough on sheet-metal!! :neutral:

OK, on with the rest of the report!! You guys might remember that out of the four 4 inch round spinner targets I had, 3 of them broke, and I welded them back together. Well, we are 4 for 4 for now!!

This one broke vertically, instead of horizontally, like the other 3. Guess I'll be getting the welder out again... :whistle:

But, despite all the sheet-metal damage and scuffing going on, I had one hell of a good time!! Remember how I said my beloved
JHP holds 9 rounds and I have 8 of the larger spinning targets... Well, I got the ol' Mahan sight tuned in pretty good!!
Three times, I hit all eight targets consecutively!! It wasn't clink, clink, clink, clink, clink, clink, like you see on TV - it was more like, " clink, one thousand, clink, one thousand... if you know what I mean. Several more times, I hit all 8 with the 9 shots my mag holds. So, I think that's the secret... thousands of rounds of practice!! Well that and good sights...

Mr. Mahan - I will be eternally grateful to you for that rear sight.

You don't realize what a huge POS the original rear sight is until you get a Mahan sight!! If you have a Hi-Point pistol, order one!! It's the best money you'll ever spend on a Hi-Point - I guarantee it. I was skeptical - I waited, and wasted a lot of ammo!!

I thought I'd try to make it better by out-lining the "U" shape with some of the wife's bright fingernail polish, but ended up scraping that sh*t off - It's perfect the way it is.

And I don't know if I'm really "hot-stuff" here or not - half of the eight targets are 4 inch round, the other half are 3x6 rectangles. And I'm shooting at a distance of 30 feet. Is that good shootin' to hit all 8 of those targets at 30 feet? I like to think so!! It's a hell of a lot harder than you'd think to consecutively hit all 8 of those little bastards!! :D

All right, one last picture of the target:

Knocked quite a bit of the paint off. That round one broke on about the third shot, so it was a little harder to hit!!

OK, and a couple more pictures:

An empty ammo box and a can full of empties!! That's happiness at the shooting range!!
I wonder if Mahan will give me a cut of his sight sales when I make it on the Wide World of Shooting Sports on TV?? :cool:
And, I was happy when my tilt lever screwed back into the steering column!!

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”
Article VI, Section 24 of the South Dakota Constitution

I sure miss you Amp - (Dean Stephens) - Wish I could have met you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:27 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
Glad you had fun. I must say that 8 squibs is 8 to many. I'm also saying I'm not a bit better loader than you are.
I loaded a lot. .06, .308, .45 9mm . I never had one. I'm not any better than you trust me. Something is wrong. It may be you are just in to big a hurry. A small distraction whatever . Remember if you load a squib how far can it be from double charging?? I made a what I called a 0 tolerance load and painted it with marker.. Loaded to spec with sand or something just to make up the nominal weight. I actually checked it on a simple balance beam to check all of my loads. I know its overkill but I never had a double charge, squib or split case. Oh and I never shot anyone else s loads. Maybe I'm just paranoid .

"Contrary to what your mother told you violence can at times solve problems."

"There is only one way to deal with violence is to use greater violence" an Israeli exchange student.

Never shoot a large calber man with a small caliber weapon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:59 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
I had a squib, well more like a light charge, it still hit the target. Just didn't have any authority to it.

Sounds like you had a great time. The range I belong to doesn't allow steel targets so I'm stuck with paper.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:36 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

verkalak wrote:
Glad you had fun. I must say that 8 squibs is 8 to many. I'm also saying I'm not a bit better loader than you are.
I loaded a lot. .06, .308, .45 9mm . I never had one. I'm not any better than you trust me. Something is wrong. It may be you are just in to big a hurry. A small distraction whatever . Remember if you load a squib how far can it be from double charging?? I made a what I called a 0 tolerance load and painted it with marker.. Loaded to spec with sand or something just to make up the nominal weight. I actually checked it on a simple balance beam to check all of my loads. I know its overkill but I never had a double charge, squib or split case. Oh and I never shot anyone else s loads. Maybe I'm just paranoid .

I'm calling it the "Load-Master Learning Curve"... That Load-Master hauls ass when reloading. And This 700X powder I'm using, as Ex said, is like corn flakes - it doesn't meter worth a crap. These were the first 500 rounds or so that I reloaded. I didn't realize just how bad that powder metered at first. Plus, it was really hard to see inside that case.
But now:

I got some bright LED lights on my Load-Master. That sum-bitch is lit up like a Christmas tree!! I can easily check every single round now. Every once in a while it'll throw a really light charge. When it does that, I pull the case, dump the powder in my scale, and add to it to get it to the right weight, pour it back in the case, and put it back in the Load-Master and keep going. I also use a powder baffle now, and keep the measure full, which seems to help.
It's never to heavy a charge - always a light charge. I'm sure that coarse powder bridges in the powder measure. So I think I'm pretty safe against getting a double charge. Especially now - because I can easily see the power in the case.
Randy told me I was being a little paranoid with my new LED lights, but I don't think he understood how really bad that 700X powder meters. Squibs SUCK. I hope I never have another one.
The 700X powder has been the ONLY powder I could find. I have over 9 pounds of it. It works great in my beloved JHP - just as long as I get enough of it in the case to get the bullet out of the barrel!! ;)
Another thing that helped immensely but is little crude - simply tap the side of the powder measure every round. That seems to keep the powder moving. I have a little screw driver that I grab and give the powder measure a whack with the plastic handle. It rarely throws a light charge as long as I do that.
The 1,000 or so rounds I've shot before these last 500, I've never had a squib. These last 500 were the 1st ones I loaded, so they were at the bottom of the ammo can. 1st loaded - last to be shot up.
I'm pretty confident that I won't be having anymore squibs. I'm pretty vigilant about checking every case for powder. If something doesn't look right, it gets weighed.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:13 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Well that will help a lot. I was standing next to a friend when he lit off his Mod 29 with a double charge. From the sound I thought we where both dead. Believe it or not it did hold together. But after that it never shot right again.

"There is only one way to deal with violence is to use greater violence" an Israeli exchange student.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:15 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
Best advice any of us can give you is to physically check each and every case to make sure you have powder in it. Its a good thing you were not fast firing when the squibs started happening.

Thanks for the range report, sounds like you had a good time all in all :)

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:02 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

waltham41 wrote:
Best advice any of us can give you is to physically check each and every case to make sure you have powder in it. Its a good thing you were not fast firing when the squibs started happening.

Thanks for the range report, sounds like you had a good time all in all :)

I had a great time and can't wait to do it again!!
Nope - I was hyper-paranoid about having a squib with these first reloads... I was just sure I'd have one or two... But eight??? :shock: So we were in slow fire mode. :D
Amen brother on checking every single case - I do - and I always will - even if I do eventually get some powder that measures perfectly in the future. :cool:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:00 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Well boys and girls, I think I'm gonna head out again today with my "spinning metal target contraption" - if the weather is good this morning and it didn't rain too much last night...
I broke the last of the four - 4 inch round targets in my last outing. You can see where that
bullet hit it, on the outside edge. It was like the 2nd or 3rd shot I made.
So it broke, right at the start of my last outing:

You can also see where I shot the hell out of what was left of it!! :D

I got it welded back together. I used a couple little pieces of rebar on each side:

Nice feet there Jason... Size 14?? And I now advise against welding while wearing shorts... :shock:
Anyway, some really crappy bird-shit welds - my "auto-darkening" lens quit "darkening" at all while I was welding.
I tried to hold my thumb over the bright welding light and kept welding. I figured the battery died in my welding glass.

I took it apart and found the 3v battery fully charged (3.04v actually) and put it back together and it worked.
A bad connection - The battery quit making contact for some reason - was the cause.

So I welded some of the crappy welds better the next day.
In retrospect, when I built this thing, maybe I should have stuck with those thicker 4" round pieces I cut first.
I think with all the extra welding and bracing I've done, these thinner ones probably weigh about the same now!! :stfu:

Well, gonna go clean the beloved JHP and prepare for some slow firing - gonna bring a hammer and punch - just in case I get "squibbed" again!! I'll be ready this time...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:26 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Well boys and girls, sent another 350 or so rounds downrange this morning!! :great:
I've had pretty much a bitch of a week this week - New computer at work with the new 2015 version of AutoCad. I have to spend a day or two getting it all set up the way I like it in order to even use it. My co-worker just got the same set up - now I have to help him get his set up the way he likes it. No big deal - just time consuming. Plus, my boss didn't show up tues-thurs and no one knows for sure whats going on with him - we're all a little worried. He has an alcohol problem and recently divorced. Hell, I could either still not know anything tomorrow or I could find out he's dead!! Pretty scary!! :shock: Plus we have 2 new engineers - fresh out of school - in our department so were having to keep them busy with the boss gone. Then, I've had a couple ass-holes piss me off on Facebook making comments about the guns I have for sale. Then there's this certain "computer guy" that's been keeping me up late at night... This is my 1st post using Linux - that's your hint on the computer guy!! :D
Anyway, just a series of not really all that important things that have just kinda rubbed me the wrong way. I'm hoping the Linux operating system is the start of things going the other way!! I need to get the spell-check working!! :shock: You guys are gonna see how illiterate I really am!!
I did go for a nice long Harley ride Saturday. It was a beautiful day and that helped quite a bit. And I've found that mid to late Sunday mornings are the best time to go to the range. I can set my spinning targets up and have 3 or 4 hours, all to myself... No ass-holes bothering me - just me and my beloved JHP!! A can of pumpkin orange spray paint and targets spinning...
This is how I started out - a box full of reloads and then how many I shot up:

And a fresh coat of pumkin orange paint:

I don't know if this helps, but this is what those targets
Look like from 30 or so feet away:

Pretty tiny!! I noticed no one commented on whether hitting a 4" round target and a 3"x6" target consistantly at 30 feet is good shootin' or not when I asked about it in my last post - but it seems to be getting easier!! :great:
All I can say about this next picture is:

God-Damn it!!

Thats it for me!! I'm not welding these SOB's back together any more!! I thought they would hold together!! I'm just gonna draw up some circles on AutoCad and have them cut out with our laser. I'm thinking I might have a different design in mind too. I might post some cad pictures if I get around to it. I'm thinking I can have them cut the circle and the strap that attaches them to the frame all together in one piece.
This is what my spinner target looked like when I was done:

We got some paint knocked off there!! :D
Had a can full 2/3rds full of empties:

And a front moving in. Got windy, dark and cool pretty fast!!
So, that's my range report!! Pretty close to the same as the last two!! :D Hope it isn't too boring for you all. Zero squibs, but I had about three that didn't light off. I did adjust the Load-Master to seat the primers a little firmer. I put those three back in the mag and they lit off the 2nd time through no problem - I'm sure the primer wasn't seated deep enough.
Good Lord!! - It's damn near 1:30!! I have to get up in 2 hours and 15 minutes to go to work!! Better go... :cry:
So, any thoughts on whacking these targets consistantly at 30 feet? Am I getting to be a better shot, or am I just getting up to being an average shot? Lord knows I had enough practice!! :cool:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:59 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Nice to have a scooter to take out and blow of some steam. So like you have a lot going on.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:16 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

I was in just one of those pissy moods last week - all crampin' and spottin' and stuff :groan:
But felling happier today!! Guns & Harley's - I should name the next band I'm in that!! :great:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:21 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
Jason, two things...

1. consistently hitting 3" by X at 30 ft, freehanded is good!!!!

2. Probably cracking do to hardness, which as you know, welding will do. Heat em with the torch... that should remove some of the hardness, leaving less brittle**** maybe?

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:12 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Ex_ISP wrote:
Jason, two things...

1. consistently hitting 3" by X at 30 ft, freehanded is good!!!!

2. Probably cracking do to hardness, which as you know, welding will do. Heat em with the torch... that should remove some of the hardness, leaving less brittle**** maybe?

Oh Yeah - A big No-No on welding tool steel - exactly for the reason you said!! :D Just figgered I could "get away" with it!!
I like the tool steel - it doesn't bend - it does, however break!! :( The mild steel targets are "curling" up a bit - that's still better than breaking!!
I'll replace these with some mild steel targets - trying to decide between 7 gauge (.179) thick or 1/4 inch thick. The 3x6 rectangles are 1/8 in (.125) and seem to be holding up OK.
Think I'll go with the .179 stuff... :D

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next