Hipointtalk.net

Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Welcome to the Military Depot sponsored by Benny429 from Milsurpstuff.com. Find all your components to spruce up those old military rifles or add some modern touches to proven platforms. Send Benny429 a PM before you order for special discounts for HPT forum members.

Post subject: Ishapore Enfield 2a1 and Type53
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:50 pm 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
Took a weekend trip. Left Vegas Saturday to spend a quiet night in Prescott -- hotel in the trees. Nice and quiet, pine smell, etc. They put us in the back away from the highway.

Well, Saturday in Prescott ... hit several gun stores and didn't buy much. Just a type 53 (best of 4 and it's nothing to brag about) but it was only $100, a spam can of 7.62x54r, a little odds'n'ends ammo. Oh yeah, a friend wanted a stun gun ( he said it's for his sister-in-law ... I honestly thought he liked her better than that but I asked for pictures)

Sunday we attended the gun show at Tim's Toyota Center. Small show, slow day. I bought a couple of boxes of .38 Super, a couple more of 7.62x38r, some Wolf 12 ga slugs and some unimportant stuff. I didn't find much in the way of firearms I was interested in spending money on but there was an Ishapore Enfield in 7.62x51 -- I've passed on these several times but always thought I'd grab one. This one said $300 on it and I figured I'd talk to the guy on my way out. On our way out I took another look and he'd marked it down to $250. I guess he was having a slow time and marked it down to get a little cash in his pocket; it worked. I bought it.

I'm going shooting tomorrow. I take crappy pictures but here's one anyway:

Post subject: Re: Ishapore Enfield 2a1 and Type53
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:56 pm 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

I got a couple of questions you guys might help me with. I've got a goody bag so I can put a Russian sling on the T53 but it has no cleaning rod. Will an M44 rod work and where can I find one cheap? The bore looks pretty good and the bolt is mismatched. I'm going to go ahead and clean it up. (I'm having second thoughts and may just get rid of this one)

The Ishapore 2a1: This is one of the cleanest I've seen. I know to avoid .308 ammo in it and I've got a pretty good supply of 7.62x51. What I don't know about is stripper clips. I've tried the couple of different 7.62 clips I've got and none of them work well. They worked okay in the mag loader for the FAL but not so well here. Do any of you have an idea about the best stripper clips for this? If so, where's a good place to get them?

Any other advice or knowledge passed my way will be, as always, appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:48 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9-Comp
Good prices!

There was a rumor that m-14 stripper clips work for the Enfield?

Other guns owned: Various and sundry...lets just say I can launch any of the following ammo...8mm & 7mm Mauser, 7.62X54R or 7.62X39 or 7.62X25, 7.5X55, 9X18, 9X19, .380, .40, .45, .22, .22 mag, .22WRF, .223, 12 ga, 20ga., .30-30, .300 Savage, .303 Brit, 7.62 NATO, and .30-06...so if you want to get rid of some, let me know!!!

He who laughs last........................thinks slowest!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:08 pm 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Thanks, I thought so too.
ajole wrote:
Good prices!

I hope you're right because I'm going to pick up some of them; I'll try both 10 and 5 round.
Quote:
There was a rumor that m-14 stripper clips work for the Enfield?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:11 pm 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

I shot 'em both today. The T53 probably needs better cleaning -- I got sticky bolt syndrome despite trying to clean the chamber thoroughly.

The problem was with the 2a1 -- it won't eject. Extraction is fine but it doesn't eject. A little reading led me to look at the extractor spring. It's the wrong one - a spring for a #4 is installed.

I'll order the right spring (Wolf) and give it a try. Otherwise everything appears to work well. I shot it with Wolf and the Pak surplus that was available on belts a couple of years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:28 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
SKS cleaning rod for the T53. The M44 one will work but they're 1/2" longer, not that 1/2" is a killer or anything, it's just the SKS rod is the right length and threads.

On the sticky bolt, the best thing I've found is plug the muzzle with something (I use a silicone tapered plug I have for powder coating) fix the bayonet and stab it into the ground straight up and down. Take boiling (really boiling, not just "Hot") water and pour it into the chamber, filling up the barrel to the point where it almost to run out. Let it sit, in a minute you should see melted cosmoline start to come to the surface. Paper towel on a stick so you don't get burned, keep skimming the cosmo off as it comes up. You shouldn't have to repeat it but it's not a bad idea to make sure you got it all. A lot of the time it's hardened into the extractor cutout and will melt a little from shooting then gets down into the bolt and chamber or onto a round as it's chambered. I have one that I had to smack with a dead-blow hammer to get open after five rounds, no problems after doing this. Just make sure to oil her down good, the water will evaporate right away from the heat.

http://elby.yolasite.com/ Mosin sight tools

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/blrobinso ... geOffset=2
My fantasy novels and C&R Bound Book

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:34 pm 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Good info! Thanks for the heads-up on the cleaning rod and I'll give the boiling water a try.
Thanks.
mogunner wrote:
SKS cleaning rod for the T53. The M44 one will work but they're 1/2" longer, not that 1/2" is a killer or anything, it's just the SKS rod is the right length and threads.

On the sticky bolt, the best thing I've found is plug the muzzle with something (I use a silicone tapered plug I have for powder coating) fix the bayonet and stab it into the ground straight up and down. Take boiling (really boiling, not just "Hot") water and pour it into the chamber, filling up the barrel to the point where it almost to run out. Let it sit, in a minute you should see melted cosmoline start to come to the surface. Paper towel on a stick so you don't get burned, keep skimming the cosmo off as it comes up. You shouldn't have to repeat it but it's not a bad idea to make sure you got it all. A lot of the time it's hardened into the extractor cutout and will melt a little from shooting then gets down into the bolt and chamber or onto a round as it's chambered. I have one that I had to smack with a dead-blow hammer to get open after five rounds, no problems after doing this. Just make sure to oil her down good, the water will evaporate right away from the heat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:43 am 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
another idea you can do for the sticky bolt is to take a chamber brush on a drill and give the chamber a working over.... every now and then you will find one with a burr in the chamber that will catch the fired brass. Check your fired brass and see if there are any drag marks on it like a burr would cause while the casing is coming out of the chamber

BTW, I hate you, you suck! I've been looking for a Ishapore Enfield and have not had any luck at decent prices ;)

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:39 am 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

I've done this before, usually I wrap it in 0000 steel wool and put some jewelers' rouge on it. It can work well. The ammo looks good so I'll probably try the hot water trick MG suggested.
waltham41 wrote:
another idea you can do for the sticky bolt is to take a chamber brush on a drill and give the chamber a working over.... every now and then you will find one with a burr in the chamber that will catch the fired brass. Check your fired brass and see if there are any drag marks on it like a burr would cause while the casing is coming out of the chamber

The 2a1 isn't glued to my hands y'know -- make me an offer I can't refuse ...
Quote:
BTW, I hate you, you suck! I've been looking for a Ishapore Enfield and have not had any luck at decent prices ;)

Or, you could wait a few weeks to see if I get tired of it. When that happens I'm more amenable to trades :quiet:

The guy that sold this to me has a source for ammo cans and while I was waiting to look at the rifle a guy was cooking a deal with him for several hundred cans. I walked away to let them finish and when I returned he had cut the price $50 to try to generate some cash to buy the cans. I guess it worked out for me I didn't get to that table a few minutes earlier the first time -- I'd have probably paid $300 without complaint.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:53 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

If the rifle doesn't speak to you and you decide to sell it, please keep me in mind... I am working on a one of each country of enfields, and Im down to needing a Lithgow and a Ishapore 2A1

Picked up a nice Ishapore No1Mk3 with grenade copper wire but still want the .308 version also. Got a pending deal right now on a Savage .303

Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:25 pm 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Lithgow -- nice. You know I'll keep you in mind if I give it up, but it shoots pretty sweet (except for the ejection problem). I must admit I really prefer #4 sights -- if I could find a #4 in .308 I'd probably never shoot the 2a1.
waltham41 wrote:
If the rifle doesn't speak to you and you decide to sell it, please keep me in mind... I am working on a one of each country of enfields, and Im down to needing a Lithgow and a Ishapore 2A1

You got a wrapped one, huh? Those are cool pieces of history. Good luck on the Savage -- looking forward to a thread.
Quote:
Picked up a nice Ishapore No1Mk3 with grenade copper wire but still want the .308 version also. Got a pending deal right now on a Savage .303

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:09 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

I had a really nice Lithgow No1Mk3 but I traded it for the Ishapore grenade rifle... I figured the grenade rifle was more rare especially in the condition this one is in.

Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

ImageImage

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:02 pm 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

The wire wrapped rifle is probably more rare and collectors have driven the prices of them up in the last few years. I've never owned one but the history is very cool.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:28 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
ampersand wrote:
... a little cash in his pocket; it worked. I bought it.

I'm going shooting tomorrow. I take crappy pictures but here's one anyway:

Sounded like a good relaxing weekend. :thumb:

Just wonderin though, is one of your legs that much shorter than the other? Your pictures are tilted at a crazy angle! Or is it still the booze? You fell and you can't reach your guns so you took a picture that you thought was level? :whistle: :mrgreen: :run:

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:39 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
On a more serious note, if the boiling water doesn't get it all out take it apart (if that's possible) and take the bolt and barrel to a car wash and use the degreasing soap with a blast of as hot of water as they have there. Most car washes don't offer hotter than tepid water because morons couldn't understand that hot water ay great speed hurts like hell. But for the price of a small chip you could get it clean right quick.

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail