Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: 4595 Compensator and a Scope
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:04 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
So I took out my calipers and started measuring bullet diameters on 9mm because I have several brands on the bench. Wolf polyformance came in the smallest at .351. Silver Bear and Remington UMC both came in at .352. Some old Pakistani NATO measured at almost .353 (.3525 by eye). Keep in mind that I'm not removing the bullets from the case, so the numbers are only representative of unseated portion. Is a standard of deviation of .0015 enough to change long distance trajectory? Shot out of a handgun at 5 yards we might not notice. Launched from a carbine barrel at 50 yards? I'm no expert but that NATO round is bound to punch tighter groups than the Wolf Poly. Don't get me wrong, the Wolf is great for what I paid. It's perfect for making noise and chasing soup cans.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:00 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
Cornhusker wrote:
Not to taunt, but it's to be 64 here today and 71 tomorrow :mrgreen:

After all my complaining - we had a near 60° day this weekend!! :great:
Melt snow, melt!!

And George, I haven't got around to doing what you suggested yet - But I will!!

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”
Article VI, Section 24 of the South Dakota Constitution

I sure miss you Amp - (Dean Stephens) - Wish I could have met you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:11 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
jasonsch wrote:
Cornhusker wrote:
Not to taunt, but it's to be 64 here today and 71 tomorrow :mrgreen:

After all my complaining - we had a near 60° day this weekend!! :great:
Melt snow, melt!!

And George, I haven't got around to doing what you suggested yet - But I will!!

:great:

--- Rabbi Shraga Silverstein

Come visit Barker Hill. Homesteading, survival, farming and self reliance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:37 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

George Taylor wrote:
Take a pair of those expensive calipers and measure the diameter of your reloads and compare it to more expensive factory ammo. If the reloads are a couple thousandths smaller, that could be the problem. .

George Taylor wrote:
I checked Accurate mold. They have a million molds for casting every conceivable bullet...But no boat tail 45 ACP. I imagine it would look like a little football. I thought it would be easier to cast em instead of trying to chuck a 45 to chamfer the backside. I still think variants in bullet diameter might be messing with accuracy.

George Taylor wrote:
So I took out my calipers and started measuring bullet diameters on 9mm because I have several brands on the bench. Wolf polyformance came in the smallest at .351. Silver Bear and Remington UMC both came in at .352. Some old Pakistani NATO measured at almost .353 (.3525 by eye). Keep in mind that I'm not removing the bullets from the case, so the numbers are only representative of unseated portion. Is a standard of deviation of .0015 enough to change long distance trajectory? Shot out of a handgun at 5 yards we might not notice. Launched from a carbine barrel at 50 yards? I'm no expert but that NATO round is bound to punch tighter groups than the Wolf Poly. Don't get me wrong, the Wolf is great for what I paid. It's perfect for making noise and chasing soup cans.

I've wanted to get back to this since... Well February??

George asked if my reloads were up-to-snuff, and I thought that was a good question!!
I put aside my hurt feelings and damaged ego - I mean - Any one that would even think to ask me that in the 1st place...
Either that - or he's getting to know me here at HPT!!

And I should have done this 1st - And will do this with all my reloads from now on:
Measure The Reloaded Cartridge!!

What I did with my 45 acp dies was follow the instructions:

Full Length Sizer:
"Screw the die in until it touches the shell holder, then back out one full turn."

Crimp Die:
"Screw the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die in, until it just touches the shell holder and back out the adjusting screw. With the loaded round in the die, turn the adjusting screw in until you can feel it just touch the case mouth. Then move the cartridge out of the die slightly and screw the adjusting screw in a half-turn for a light crimp and one full turn for a heavy crimp."

So that's basically what I did.

I measured some of my reloads and found what George asked about very well could be the problem.
I don't have any 45 acp rounds to measure - But the specifications for this cartridge are in my reloading manual.
My reloads were not the right size - especially at the mouth of the case!!

I was using those expensive copper plated soft lead Rainier bullets.
And when I put the crimp on them - Well - it was easy to squeeze them to a smaller diameter.
And this would explain another thing that's kinda bugged me about my reloads...

Anyway - the plated bullets were small on the OD top-to-bottom!!!
By 2 or 3 thousands - and some even more... )-:
These soft bullets suck.

- - BUT - -

I ordered some FMJ 230 bullets and had not reloaded any yet - and decided to reload some.

I loaded a bunch rounds making adjustments to my dies until I got it as close as I could.
Then I reloaded a couple hundred+ and put them in a plastic coffee can.
I kept them separate from the bunch I reloaded to get the dies adjusted...
I only want to use the "good ones" when I test them at the range!!

This was in mid-march and when a nice day and some free time worked out - I decided to go to the range!!

The 1st thing I do is load my mags before I head out - So I grabbed my box of mags...
This isn't good... where TF is my speed loader?? It's always in this box - or in the case with my JHP - It's not.
And I ain't loading all these mags with my thumb - no way!!

I look everywhere I think it could be - reloading area - My Gun Office - Tear my suburban apart and no speed loader...
Damn it!! How could I lose that thing?? I can't go shooting without it and always kept track of it.
Kinda pisses me off... I had to grind a groove in it and plus it worked freakin' great!!

Fine Mr. Alzhiemer's - I lost it somewhere - I'll just order another one.

I decide to get two - they're cheap - and it's a "pre-alzheimer" defensive purchase... In case I lose another one...

What I got was this - 2 different brands:

ADCO Superthumb is the one I had before - And I got a Pro-Mag one too.

I ordered them from MidwayUSA and when they showed up, I loaded my mags with the Pro-Mag loader...
I need to grind a groove, from top to bottom, on the back of the ADCO loader before it will work.
I did it with my die-grinder last time.

The Pro-Mag loader works - but I can't say for sure how well it works...
We have another problem. )-:

These newest reloads do not fit or work well in the mags - My old reloads work fine in these same mags.
The cartridges stick and aren't happy in these mags...
I hope I didn't screw something up...
I measured some rounds and they all seemed just fine.

Well Screw it!! I loaded 5 or 6 mags and decided to see how they would work.

I put my loaded mags in my box and slip the 4595 into my AR case.
I always bring along the little tool that came with my 4595 - And Guess What??
I can't find it...

OK - I'll go without it this time...

I check for the brass catcher I use on my AR as it works perfect for the 4595 too!!
It wraps around the gun and is held on with velcro and Caldwell is the brand of it.

And Guess What?? - - I can't find it either!!

:huh: :stfu:

I look everywhere - I can''t find it - Still haven't found it... Haven't found anything I lost.

Well - I ain't going to the range if I have to spend most of my time there picking uo brass... )-:

I start to unload the mags by pushing them out one-at-a-time.
The 1st mag ejaculates a couple and then the rest of the cartridges stay down in the mag. Nice...
ALL of the mags have troubles ejaculating cartridges.

Some would have a round stick lower down in the stack of cartridges
and the ones above would just fall out of the top of the mag...

So that's another mystery I need to solve.

I checked the length of several reloads and it's right-on according to the specs in the reloading manual.

Anyway - - IF I find my brass catcher (or buy another one - or two)
And I don't lose any other vital stuff - Like my 4595 or my suburban or my weenie or my mind...

At some point - I'll test these FMJ reloads in my 4595 and come back here with the range report.

AND - If my 4595 shoots accurately...
I'll have to think of some kinda prize to give George for his advice!! :great:

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:37 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
Whenever I'm using a new bullet I make​ a dummy cartridge (or 10) (no powder or primer) and make sure it fits. Sometimes ya need to seat the bullet a little deeper or change the crimp.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:51 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Maybe the answer is clear...you forgot how to read the calipers... :whistle: :rules:

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:07 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
Might try to run the loaded rounds through the sizing die and see if that helps any.

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:10 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

None of that really makes sense Jason. If the cartridges are the correct length and are crimped to small what hangs them up?

In the one picture I can see a base bulge on the cartridges. If you are using a Lee sizing die that should not be there since it is a full length sizing die. As Walt suggested run the completed round back through the sizing die but also run all the empty cases through again before loading them. Can't hurt I don't think.

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:12 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

The soft plated bullets were crimped to small.

The new FMJ bullets I reloaded are the right size and right OAL and are giving me trouble with my mags.

I still haven't been to the range to try any - I like to get another brass catcher - or find the one I had.

Profile E-mail