Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Trigger installation - new aluminum trigger
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:27 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
By popular demand here are the 20 easy steps to follow to swap out your 995 trigger.

First the tools. All I used was a small nail and a pair of needle nose pliers. Of course, if you have a small punch, a small hammer, and some other tools they can help.

#1 Make sure the magazine is out and that a round is not chambered. Assure your weapon is unloaded. Now, take the stock off and break down the gun until it looks like this.

#2. Locate the top pivot pin. On my carbine one side of the pin was slightly bent (not sure if it was done on purpose) so I had to push the pin out form the other side.

#3 Hold nail or punch with one hand and lightly tap pin until it pokes out other side. Do not completely remove.

#4 Locate middle pin.

#5 Hold nail or punch with one hand and lightly tap pin until it pokes out other side. Do not completely remove.

#6 Flip gun over to other side. Pins should be slightly sticking out (1/8").

#7 Pull long pivot pin with needle nose.

#8 Completely remove long pin.

#9 Pull small middle pin with needle nose pliers and completely remove small pin.

#10 Trigger should come out easily.

#11 Make sure not to loose tiny spring.

#12 These are all the parts you should have.

#13 OK, get your new trigger. This is probably the hardest part of the installation. Install small pin in the half way into the middle hole. This has to be a very tight fit in order for it not to fall out. You will have to press it with pliers.

#14 Install spring in spring cavity.

#15 Place trigger back in the carbine. Make sure trigger sear (lever), fits into where the spring is.

#16 Place long pin in hole through trigger. This should go in very easy, it’s a very loose clearance fit. You can press it all the way flush, or you can wait until the other pin is in.

#17 Now struggle to get the trigger sear (lever) and the small pin aligned. This is the second hardest part of the installation. Sometimes it helps to do this pin first before the long pin. You will need pliers to get it most of the way in. Don’t scratch your trigger.

#18 This is the way they should look at the end.

#19 Using the back of the nail or your punch, hammer the pins flush and maybe a little more.

#20 Congrats! You have a new trigger installed, go show it off.

Post subject: Re: Tigger installation - new aluminum trigger
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:53 am 

Had the 995 a few days. Tried the custom stock but found the original stock to be more comfortable, so am staying with the High point stock. Will order the charging handle but is the trigger just for looks or is it smoother & more functional?
Thanks,
Brian

Post subject: Re: Tigger installation - new aluminum trigger
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:11 am 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
new1 wrote:
Had the 995 a few days. Tried the custom stock but found the original stock to be more comfortable, so am staying with the High point stock. Will order the charging handle but is the trigger just for looks or is it smoother & more functional?
Thanks,
Brian

IMO the aluminum trigger feels better to the touch. And it does look better. Some people like to be a little different.

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Trigger installation - new aluminum trigger
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:53 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
The trigger looks better, and feels more solid. It IS a real Beeotch to install.
I just fought mine for two hours tonight. The process of tear out went smooth.
(Honestly a half an hour was spent trying to figure out how to put the trigger sear lever back in after it fell out.
There is no definitive description of "how" that part fits into the rifle. So I just had to figure it out.)
FYI That little trigger spring will fly a long way if it pops out. It's also small and hard to find when this happens. Twice. :oops:
Then I had the sear pin slip into the receiver, requiring a breakdown to drive it back into position.
In the end, I like it, I just scarred mine a bit in the installation. I'll dress it a bit when I'm not so...frustrated :wink:

Gunlist removed to keep the Feds from getting the wrong idea...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:48 pm 

ButchPrice wrote:
It IS a real Beeotch to install.
(Honestly a half an hour was spent trying to figure out how to put the trigger sear lever back in after it fell out.
There is no definitive description of "how" that part fits into the rifle. So I just had to figure it out.)

OK, I give. I've been bitten by the sear lever issue also. :oops:
Any tips or tricks? A free tutorial?

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:31 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

RX001 wrote:
ButchPrice wrote:
It IS a real Beeotch to install.

OK, I give. I've been bitten by the sear lever issue also. :oops:
Any tips or tricks? A free tutorial?

Thanks!

Basically be patient, don't get frustrated and keep after it. It only goes in one way, just a little twisting and turning to get it back in that position.

I remember that was the only real issue I had, and its not as much a issue as it is just getting it in the correct spot.

Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:09 pm 

Thanks, I got it. I actually had it earlier, but I didn't trust that the lever/cam was engaging properly. I took your advice in that it only goes in one way and reassembled it - it works fine and definitely looks and feels much better than the original!

Oh, and my wife just got home and drove the little pin in with a punch and small ballpeen hammer. I hate to admit it :roll: , but the extra hands saved much frustration and chasing the little spring across the room.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:13 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

RX001 wrote:
Thanks, I got it. I actually had it earlier, but I didn't trust that the lever/cam was engaging properly. I took your advice in that it only goes in one way and reassembled it - it works fine and definitely looks and feels much better than the original!

Oh, and my wife just got home and drove the little pin in with a punch and small ballpeen hammer. I hate to admit it :roll: , but the extra hands saved much frustration and chasing the little spring across the room.

Glad to hear you have it. And now you have a good idea of how the Hi Point trigger system works too. A good day all in all ;)

Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

ImageImage

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:26 pm 

I finally made it to the range yesterday. All went reasonably well, except I kept having to manually reset the trigger. This doesn't occur when dry-firing, only when firing a live round. I'm not sure if it was my trigger installation, the sear lever position, the ATI stock, or what? I never fired it prior to adding the stock and all the accessories, so I've complicated my troubleshooting with multiple variables.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:32 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Take it back out and make sure the sear levers are aligning up like they are supposed to, and not slipping past each other when you pull the trigger.

You may want to put the action back in the factory stock and see if you still have the problem.

Keep us posted.

Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

ImageImage

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:09 pm 

It appears the sear levers are properly aligned. I watched as I cycled it several times and I think the problem is the trigger rubbing on the housing (see area circled in red). Unless anyone recommends otherwise, I intend to hit it a few swipes with a fine file, then polish the area with a dremel. Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:21 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

It could be rubbing there a bit, this last batch of material I had was slightly over 1/4" but in my carbine there is plenty of wiggle room. There may be less in others. I also had the same problem with mine when I first made the trigger. It would only stick back when you actually fired, but not when dry firing. Mine eventually fixed itself after about 50 rounds.

Also pay attention to the bottom tip of the trigger, sometimes those catch on the trigger guard depending on how the action is sitting in the stock. If you have any more problems, please don't hesitate to email me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:44 pm 

Thanks Bushman, I removed a little material and the trigger resets much more positively now. The trigger didn't have much wiggle-room, but the 995 isn't a tight-tolerance machine. I suspect it will work fine when actually fired. I'll put 100 rounds though it and report the results. Sorry if this thread wasn't the appropriate place to post my problem, I should have realized this thread was specific to trigger installation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:50 pm 

Back to the range today. All went well, no problems with trigger reset after resolving the interference problem. Thanks for the help!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:09 am 

awesome how to. Mine went flawlessly in like 20 minutes. Looks sexy :)

Profile E-mail