Hipointtalk.net

Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: HP Carbine as first weapon
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:48 am 

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
Hello,

I am considering purchasing my first firearm. As a USAF member, I have limited training with the M9 (Beretta 92)/M16 (AR-15) and recently during my current deployment I have gotten much more comfortable with carrying, cleaning and firing these weapons.

When I get home I think I'd like to obtain a weapon. The primary use would be target practice/recreational shooting. Thus, the top priorities for me are good value (don't know if its a hobby I'll really enjoy, so I'm hesitant to drop a lot of cash up front), low cost to fire (i.e., cheap ammo), and safety/reliability/ease of MX.

A distant second priority is personal defense. I live in AK and we have a lot of big critters roaming about. I'm not too concerned about home defense as we live on base and I think our can of grizzly bear mace would be quite effective in close quarters against a two-legged predator, but we do have wolves, big dogs, and little black bears roaming around in the back yard. I can see it being useful to have a weapon in the trunk of the car at the fishing hole -- there aren't just people trying to catch salmon! I know a pistol caliber weapon will not be useful against a grizzly, but against one of the much smaller black bears we get or a wolf/large dog, I think it'd be pretty effective.

I've been doing a lot of research and these considerations have pushed me strongly towards the Hipoint carbine. Purchasing a Beretta 92 or AR-15 would be ideal (train like you fight) but these weapons are just too expensive for a casual hobbyist or first buy. Additionally, rifle ammo is more expensive than pistol ammo, and living in AK, I want something chambered in a pistol round so that indoor ranges are more viable. The Hipoint seems like a great combination of value, utility, and fun.

Additionally, my wife has NO experience with firearms, and I think a carbine is a perfect choice... Easier to fire than a pistol, less intimidating than a 12 gauge shotgun, and less kick than a rifle.

I was wondering what your thoughts are on the suitability of this weapon for a first time gun buyer. I am thinking of getting the .40 SW chambered variant, with the reasoning being that if I ever actually do have to use it for anything other than target plinking, you might as well have the more powerful round (I've found the Beretta 92 to be... underpowered) to make a wolf/black bear think twice. Plus, it looks like the .40 SW carbine and pistol share mags, so if I later decide to purchase a handgun, they can share ammo and magazines.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: HP Carbine as first weapon
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:30 am 
Passerby
Passerby

I agree that any pistol caliber even from a carbine is not the best choice against a grizzly but it's better than a sharp stick! Against black bears and wolves as well as 2 legged predators, a 4095 would be pretty good. I'd use heavy (180 grain) ammo and if you can find it, soft points rather than hollow points for better penetration. If you can't find soft points, try alternating hollow points and FMJ. The recoil is minimal so your wife should be able to fire it without a problem. Good luck and Enjoy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:35 am 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
As a first gun, you could do worse. :)
I wouldn't shoot a bear with one like you said, but for smaller varmints and predators it'd be fine.
I have the 995 as my "chicken house" gun and it's perfect for the job.
They are also a lot of fun.
I'm not sure how cheap the .40 SW is to shoot, the prices have been creeping up a bit, but it's a great round.
I'd recommend a Hi-Point carbine to anybody, they are a great gun.

--- Rabbi Shraga Silverstein

Come visit Barker Hill. Homesteading, survival, farming and self reliance.

Photobucket sucks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:40 am 

jeepejeep wrote:
I agree that any pistol caliber even from a carbine is not the best choice against a grizzly but it's better than a sharp stick! Against black bears and wolves as well as 2 legged predators, a 4095 would be pretty good.

Definitely... The quart of pressurized bear mace is still the first and most effective option.

How is MX on the 4095? It looks somewhat difficult to break down for cleaning. Then again, my only experience is with the M-16/M-9, both of which are pretty easy to field strip.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:50 am 
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
First, let me Welcome you and jeepjeep to the forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here and they are willing to help with no snob attitudes thrown in. Welcome guys. nittanytbone, are you stateside or on deployment ?

The 4095 is a great choice for a first civilian gun. Both you and the wife will love if it. It has a small amount of recoil but not as much as your M16, and the 180 grain round packs quite a wollop. Even the 995 is good for small critters in the 50 to 75 yard ranges and should get some consideration. Besides........they are just plain fun to shoot.

When asked what political party I belong to I reply " The Human Party "

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:56 am 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

I would highly recommend the HP 4095, particularly if your primary use is recreation, etc as you described. Much less expensive than other brands, lifetime warranty. The kicker about these carbines is that if you keep them mildly clean, they will function. I've had mine over two years and only broken it down once for thorough cleaning. Recoil is minimal. husker said you could do worse, but I say you couldn't do better with the 4095 as your first firearm purchase.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:57 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
get either, you'll love both

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:57 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi nittanytbone and welcom to the forum.

The 4095 MX procedure is pretty simple. Run patches through the bore until they come out clean, swipe out the area around the chamber/bolt/ejection port with a rag with bore cleaner on it, follow this with a clean rag to remove all of the cleaner, and then wipe to whole weapon down with something like CLP or Tetra Gun Lube. Clean the mags and lube lightly with dry graphite lube, load up and keep near the 4095 for immediate use if needed. Total cleaning time is about one hour. Others can do it quicker but I like my bore patches to come out clean. My dad always told me, "A shiny bore is a dirty bore 'til the patch comes out clean." I've always lived by that saying with my guns.

HI-Point does not recommend a complete break down of the weapon for cleaning until about 2500 to 3000 rounds have been put through it. Then they request that you send it back to them for cleaning and checking of the weapon for parts wear and replacement. So maintanence on your end is really pretty simple. Hi-Points are the AK's of the pistol carbine world and I love them.

You think you live in a safe world. However, the world is not as safe as you think. - James Haun (2004)

"You get shot at once and you loose your command; but you gain a family" - Lt. Hanley from the show "COMBAT"

Why do I carry a gun? Because I'm getting too old to win a fist or knife fight any other way.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:36 am 

HPHooked wrote:
HI-Point does not recommend a complete break down of the weapon for cleaning until about 2500 to 3000 rounds have been put through it. Then they request that you send it back to them for cleaning and checking of the weapon for parts wear and replacement. So maintanence on your end is really pretty simple. Hi-Points are the AK's of the pistol carbine world and I love them.

Wow, I saw that on the manual but figured there was no way it could be true. Good to know that its actually so rugged and reliable!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:39 am 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

after an outing all I ever do is run a bore snake through a few times. CLP on parts

oh, yeah, welcome to HPT

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:55 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9-Comp
Welcome to the group! :D
I'd say go for the 4095, as you say, it's got more power.

And they ARE the best, least expensive weapon in the type you are looking for... :D

Other guns owned: Various and sundry...lets just say I can launch any of the following ammo...8mm & 7mm Mauser, 7.62X54R or 7.62X39 or 7.62X25, 7.5X55, 9X18, 9X19, .380, .40, .45, .22, .22 mag, .22WRF, .223, 12 ga, 20ga., .30-30, .300 Savage, .303 Brit, 7.62 NATO, and .30-06...so if you want to get rid of some, let me know!!!

He who laughs last........................thinks slowest!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:30 am 
Guru
Guru

One thing about the 4095; there are not many after-market bling parts for them. :cry: :cry:

If your looking for a carbine with modification capabilities, the 995 carbine in 9mm is the better way to go. :yes2: However, if your leaving the carbine factory stock, the 4095 is the best way to go. It will eat any 40S&W ammo you care to feed it. FMJ, JHP, lead cast bullets of round nose or truncated cone configuration, the 4095 eats them all. It's a reloaders dream rifle. :sniper2:

You think you live in a safe world. However, the world is not as safe as you think. - James Haun (2004)

"You get shot at once and you loose your command; but you gain a family" - Lt. Hanley from the show "COMBAT"

Why do I carry a gun? Because I'm getting too old to win a fist or knife fight any other way.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:50 pm 

woodyubet wrote:
First, let me Welcome you and jeepjeep to the forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here and they are willing to help with no snob attitudes thrown in. Welcome guys. nittanytbone, are you stateside or on deployment ?

I'm still in the sandbox, so I've got a few months to think things over! Until then I'll keep putting taxpayer dollars to work with 5.56 ;).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:03 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Welcome, the 4095 would be my choice as a first weapon. It is dependable, and even the less mechanically inclined people usually get comfortable with taking it apart after the first couple of times. If you have trouble, that is what we are here for, and if we cant help you, Hi Point has about the best customer service in the firearms industry.

You will most likely fall in love with it as the vast majority of us have, very few people get these carbines and decide they hate them after taking them out and shooting them.

If you need help, like I said, we are here for you. Keep that in mind.

Good luck and happy shooting!

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:36 pm 

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
nittanytbone wrote:
woodyubet wrote:

I'm still in the sandbox, so I've got a few months to think things over! Until then I'll keep putting taxpayer dollars to work with 5.56 ;).

Here is a short video of a 12 yo girl puttin my 995 thru a work out. This kid can flat sling some lead. Enjoy.......and BTW....Thanks for what your doing Bro. They wouldn't let me go.....To friggin old.

http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn29 ... 5Video.flv

I've never posted a video before so if it don't work let me know and maybe someone will help.

When asked what political party I belong to I reply " The Human Party "

Profile E-mail