All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: carbine sight with reticle
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:29 am 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
:worthless:

Thought I'd posted, can't find it anywhere, so here goes again

At the end of the day, this new carbine sight is a ghost ring!!! Seems lots of guys like it and the "ring" is indispensable to my design!

I detest poorly focused pictures but this is the best i could get out of this camera this day!!

The OD is very near 3/8 just a tiny bit smaller than the bore it fits into. I can change reticles at will!! For months I've been thinking in terms of printing a high resolution image on clear plastic!! Then i thought "Duh i'm a machinist, i can make it myself!! It will have the resolution i want, be very robust and if it gets dirty, I can turn a hose on it, as it will be pass through configuration!! Here it is just as i'm about to take a batch out of the machine!!

You can see the parts if you follow the .01 diameter wire vertically where it hits the sheet metal

Here you can see how the eye piece insert reaches in and if you look at the first picture just below the crosshairs, you can see the screws that anchor it!! The design allows anyone to easily change reticles. I think the size of the dot will be a very very subjective issue, driven by style and physiology of the eyes and brain working together!!

There is a God in heaven!! He wants to be your Savior!! He designed you and me!!! He waited till the iron age had come, so they could make the spikes that went through him on the cross and the spear that pierced His side. The spikes DID NOT hold, Him, He simply submitted!! He Loves us that much!

my website is at www.mahansights.com
good links there!!!!

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies. ―Ron Paul"

Joe Arpaio, THE LAST REAL LAW MAN

ImageImageImage

Experience: that wisdom you get exactly 30 seconds AFTER you needed it!!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: carbine sight with reticle
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:26 pm 

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
I like the reticle keep US updated , good job as always
Let me know when there going to be for sale

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:56 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

OK, maybe I am missing something. Is this a front, or a rear sight?

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. [The Shootist-1976]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:17 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

mawguy this is a rear sight!! The front will be a fiber optic which will be really small, less than 1/16 of an inch!! The prototype will use a standard AR front sight!!!!

There is a God in heaven!! He wants to be your Savior!! He designed you and me!!! He waited till the iron age had come, so they could make the spikes that went through him on the cross and the spear that pierced His side. The spikes DID NOT hold, Him, He simply submitted!! He Loves us that much!

good links there!!!!

ImageImageImage

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:06 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Geeze Troll, how the hell do you make that reticle?? I know you EDM (nice picture, by the way) but that reticle!! Gives "delicate machine work" a whole new meaning!! :shock:

You must make the inside cross first. Then cut the outside. It looks like pretty thin material, then blackened? :dunno: A Laser!! That's how you make it, isn't it?? Nope, that's not it - looked at the picture again... A laser wouldn't have that nice of a finish either. You say "A batch" so you can make several at a time? That would be good!!

And making it a replaceable item with different choices of reticles... Well, I won't say "unbelievably brilliant" - I don't want you to get too big for your britches - But I'll say "extremely good idea from an exceptionally clever and talented individual". :great: Hows that?? :D

Since it's not a "scope" it would have to have a front sight, I would think. And I thinking how would the sights would line up?? Center of reticle over the 1/16th fiber optic front sight. And centered on the bullseye? or just below bullseye? I suppose any way the person would want to do it is my guess.

I might be the first person to have a sight for one of these carbines and not own a carbine yet...

Keep up the good and amazing work Troll!! Guys like you are exactly what this country needs more of.

And sorry if I'm a little too, ah, "inquisitive"... I've always been fascinated with how things are made. This sight is just too cool!! :cool:

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”
Article VI, Section 24 of the South Dakota Constitution

I sure miss you Amp - (Dean Stephens) - Wish I could have met you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:01 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

Very nice work and excellent craftsmanship. I am 63 years old and have pretty good sight with glasses. My problem is that I am far sighted. This means that when sighting a rifle, if I focus on the near object [in this case a rear sight] it is clear, but nothing in the distance is distinguishable. If I focus on the front sight and my target, then what's near is blurry. This is how I shoot now, using the rear peep as an object that once sighted, disappears with only the front sight and target visible. I am wondering if the rear reticle sight would disappear the same way......

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. [The Shootist-1976]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Re: carbine sight with reticle
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:31 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
mawguy wrote:
Very nice work and excellent craftsmanship. I am 63 years old and have pretty good sight with glasses. My problem is that I am far sighted. This means that when sighting a rifle, if I focus on the near object [in this case a rear sight] it is clear, but nothing in the distance is distinguishable. If I focus on the front sight and my target, then what's near is blurry. This is how I shoot now, using the rear peep as an object that once sighted, disappears with only the front sight and target visible. I am wondering if the rear reticle sight would disappear the same way......

This is why I use a scope or shoot pistol. Have to ditch the bifocals at the range too.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:17 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9-Comp
You know...if you had gone bigger, you could have used the front sight inserts for target irons.

Like these.http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/sight-parts/sight-inserts/post-aperture-card-large-lyman-anschutz-sku781100011-12372-29088.aspx?cm_mmc=cse-_-Itwine-_-shopping-_-Globe%20Sight%20Inserts&gdftrk=gdfV21820_a_7c187_a_7c1021_a_7c781100011_d_781100017_d_21260

Other guns owned: Various and sundry...lets just say I can launch any of the following ammo...8mm & 7mm Mauser, 7.62X54R or 7.62X39 or 7.62X25, 7.5X55, 9X18, 9X19, .380, .40, .45, .22, .22 mag, .22WRF, .223, 12 ga, 20ga., .30-30, .300 Savage, .303 Brit, 7.62 NATO, and .30-06...so if you want to get rid of some, let me know!!!

He who laughs last........................thinks slowest!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:43 am 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

There will be a front sight. It will have a fiber optic spot! It will be somewhat as mawguy described! When "green glow disappears" of the fiber optic component it's tome to shoot! The theory is that your focus will be in the target. When you see the target and not the fiber optic, pull the trigger! Right now I've got to move everything forward 6-8 inches! Will keep you posted!

good links there!!!!

ImageImageImage

Profile E-mail