Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: INFO for old timers
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:44 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
Jason sent me my first red dot scope, I've never used one before. So between him and Walt I have learned about them.
The scope that Jason sent me is a good one, it keeps it's zero. One thing I have noticed is that when I'm in the sun, I can sight it in fast, but if I'm in any kind of shade, I can't find the top of the front sight my 995. That was a real bummer. So after thinking about it a while, I decided to fix it. My 995 needed to be able to grab the light all the time, that way I would have no problem putting the red dot on top of the front sight. Was an easy fix and it works with my old eyes.

** Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet. **

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: INFO for old timers
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:07 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
You don't have to co-witness the red dot with the front sight. The purpose of a red dot scope is fast target acquisition using the eye's natural desire to center the red dot in the field of vision. It isn't meant to be a long range accuracy sight at all, in general only meant to be able to put one center mass inside 100 yards quickly.

http://elby.yolasite.com/ Mosin sight tools

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/blrobinso ... geOffset=2
My fantasy novels and C&R Bound Book

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:17 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

"It isn't meant to be a long range accuracy sight at all"
I understand what you are saying, but neither is a 9mm pistol cartridge. My intention in firing any weapon is to be able to hit the third button down. "Aim small, miss small.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:43 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
mogunner wrote:
You don't have to co-witness the red dot with the front sight. The purpose of a red dot scope is fast target acquisition using the eye's natural desire to center the red dot in the field of vision. It isn't meant to be a long range accuracy sight at all, in general only meant to be able to put one center mass inside 100 yards quickly.

Mo - I think hobbles knows that...

I've seen guys put those dot-sights on their AR's way out towards the end of the barrel.
Is that a better way to use a dot-sight like hobbles has??
I have Zero experience with a dot-sight...

And - It is fun to shoot those calibers that aren't meant for long range at long ranges...

I occasionally shoot my JHP pistol at targets (like a plastic pop bottle) at a 100 yards and sometimes even 200 yards.

It gives "Hold-Over" a whole new meaning!!

It's kinda wild to hear the "Bang" and like 2 seconds later see the bullet impact that far away!!

I would think a carbine would be more accurate and just as much fun. :D

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”
Article VI, Section 24 of the South Dakota Constitution

I sure miss you Amp - (Dean Stephens) - Wish I could have met you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:08 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

Mounting the red dot way forward like that would give you an advantage, like having a front and rear sight that are a long ways from each other, the longer sight radius is more accurate. Sorta like comparing sights on a pistol to those on a rifle. A tiny bit off on a pistol means a LONG ways off at any distance. I know I'm not explaining it very well, lol.

The problem with mounting a red dot that far forward is that generally they are only a 20-30mm objective, which it could prove difficult to even find the dot. I mount mine in the middle of the receiver for the most part.

My writing website

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:57 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

I never really messed with a dot sight but I may have to get one for one of my ARs. I have a 2.5x scope on one of them that I've been thinking might be good on my 30/30.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:48 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

srtolly wrote:
I never really messed with a dot sight but I may have to get one for one of my ARs. I have a 2.5x scope on one of them that I've been thinking might be good on my 30/30.

I'd like to try a dot sight out too - I have to get going on my other AR first!!

mogunner wrote:
Mounting the red dot way forward like that would give you an advantage, like having a front and rear sight that are a long ways from each other, the longer sight radius is more accurate. Sorta like comparing sights on a pistol to those on a rifle. A tiny bit off on a pistol means a LONG ways off at any distance. I know I'm not explaining it very well, lol.

The problem with mounting a red dot that far forward is that generally they are only a 20-30mm objective, which it could prove difficult to even find the dot. I mount mine in the middle of the receiver for the most part.

That's what I was thinking - further ahead would be better with a sight like that - up to a point!!

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:32 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

If you're just wanting to try one out, don't go too cheap. The best "inexpensive'' one that I've found is the Bushnell TRS25. Right now you can get it on Jet.com for like $65 if you use the coupon code shown. I put one on the wife's AR with a riser and it's great.

https://www.slickguns.com/product/bushn ... code-shopr

My writing website

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:13 pm 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
the main advantage of having the RD site out as far as possible is keeping a larger field of view, situational awareness, if you will.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:08 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

But it's also slower to acquire your sight picture with it very far out. Farthest I'll go with one is about 18" in front of my eye when in firing position. I had one that came mounted on the rail on a Tapco handguard on an AK, that was too far out for me.

My writing website

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:27 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

condition1 wrote:
the main advantage of having the RD site out as far as possible is keeping a larger field of view, situational awareness, if you will.

Well hello stranger!!! :party:

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:27 pm 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

I lurk sometimes without signing in, but yeah, I haven't posted in a long time. My job has become almost all-consuming. Thanks for not firing me from my moderator job! Looks as if things are going smoothly enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:07 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

I kinda wondered... I'm thinking "It's a new guy!!"

And then see he has 4700+ posts!!! :shock: :D

Your name being a different color might also be a pretty good hint... :hmmm:

You know - it seems like everybody name has a different color than mine!!

And - my letters are BLACK!!!!!
I'm starting to think I might be getting discriminated against here! :thinkin:

Black Letters Matter!! :groan:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:18 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Black Letters Matter!!
:roflol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:33 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
hobbles wrote:
Jason sent me my first red dot scope, I've never used one before. So between him and Walt I have learned about them.
The scope that Jason sent me is a good one, it keeps it's zero. One thing I have noticed is that when I'm in the sun, I can sight it in fast, but if I'm in any kind of shade, I can't find the top of the front sight my 995. That was a real bummer. So after thinking about it a while, I decided to fix it. My 995 needed to be able to grab the light all the time, that way I would have no problem putting the red dot on top of the front sight. Was an easy fix and it works with my old eyes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey HPT Vet,
You and I share the same challenge when it comes to seeing the front sight of the 995ts iron sights. I have discovered a way to make that front sight jump right out for the many seniors or visually impaired. I have also mounted a red dot scope on the top rail, with a see through riser that allows me to keep iron sights. I do not cowitness my red dot sight with the iron sights. The red dot is zeroed in separately from the iron sights.
I have tried all the glow paints, fluorescent paints, different colors, etc and they did not work for me. The glow paints were great when they were glowing. The flourescent glow paints claim that you can shine a strong LED light on the paint & they will glow for hours. ( I have tried many of these glow paints & the glow only lasts for minutes -- not hours)
My discovery is that there is an easy way to make the glow paint glow 24/7. The answer is that anytime light is shining on the glow paint - it glows. A small, low power/low profile led light can be mounted on the top front part of the 995 (with a bit of enginuity) and nicely illuminates the front sight. The top mounted light, must be low profile enough that it does not block the line of vision from back sight to front sight.
Or one could purchase the $20 Hi Point side rails & mount an LED light on the side rail - the peripheral light from the side mounted light makes the front sight glow paint illuminate nicely allowing weaker eyes to visualize the glowing front sight

There are some draw backs:
The light must run consistently to illuminate the glow paint day or night while the carbine is in use.
From a self defense standpoint, lights on weapons always identify your location during an altercation.

Certainly a low budget answer to illuminate the front sight, but this has allowed me to pick up the front quickly and clearly when using the iron sights. This will do fine until I can afford the high dollar night sights.

Blindfinger

Profile E-mail