Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 20 rd Mag
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:46 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
Just got the Red Ball 20 rd mag from Mom in the mail today.
I haven't shot it yet, of course, but I have cycled it through the rifle a few times with zero fails.
Might be a while before I get to the range with it. I'll keep you posted.

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" "Who watches the watchmen?"
-- Juvenal, Satires, VI, 347 M E

"We can have a democratic society or we can have the concentration of great wealth in the hands of the few. We cannot have both."
-- Louis Brandeis, Supreme Court Justice from 1916-1939

Post subject: Re: 20 rd Mag
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:10 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
I know we've talked about them before...

But I don't know jack about them!!

What's with the "seam" in the middle??

I suppose 9mm is the only caliber available??

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”
Article VI, Section 24 of the South Dakota Constitution

I sure miss you Amp - (Dean Stephens) - Wish I could have met you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:53 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

jasonsch wrote:
I know we've talked about them before...

But I don't know jack about them!!

What's with the "seam" in the middle??

I suppose 9mm is the only caliber available??

That "seam" (joint?) is a polymer collar and fits the mag well. When the mag is in the rifle it is a solid connection with no wiggle or looseness.
9mm only at this time.

"We can have a democratic society or we can have the concentration of great wealth in the hands of the few. We cannot have both."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:52 pm 

I'm new to the forum and to Hi Point carbines--just got a 995TS this month. So far I've put about 300 rounds through it. Put a cheap red dot sight on it and it shoots great. HOWEVER, I went ahead and bought a Red Ball 20 round magazine, but haven't had a good experience with it. First 40 rounds shot flawlessly, but ever since then it's had 3 or 4 jams every 20-round load. I tried cleaning and lubing it to no avail. I even tried pumping the bullets through the gun manually and it still jammed every magazine-load with the Red ball.
I was first shooting a mix of different rounds--a box where I threw my leftover 9mm. It had some hollow points, flat nose semi-wadcutters and a lot of FMJs. Since then I've put over 100 rounds of Winchester White Box 115 grain bullets through it. They all shot flawlessly out of the 10 round magazine. The 10 rounder still shoots without any problems. The Red Ball doesn't. Any thoughts there? Other then to just use the 10 round magazine and get more of them? I'd like to get the 20 rounder to work. Anyway, I like the carbine, don't like the Red Ball magazine.
kjhansen

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:28 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
Try loading it up and letting it sit for a week full.... we always suggest start off easy before you go changing feed lip angles and other measures.

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:42 am 

Well, I tried a different ammo. I was running Winchester White Box through it when it was jamming--and that's one of the recommended brands. So I got some TulAmmo steel case and tried it. Worked great! I had also cleaned the magazine and lightly oiled it (with gun oil). But when I ran some more WWB through it, it jammed at least once per load. Mine doesn't seem to like WWB--the brass seems to be hanging up on something--when I get it ejected, it's all scratched up. On the other hand, TulAmmo is about the cheapest 9mm I can get, so I can't complain. Just need to see if I can run some JHP through it. I also got the two-magazine holder for the stock directly from Hi Point--so with 20 rounds in those two mags and 20 rounds in the RedBall, I can burn through 9mm pretty fast...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:20 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

I shoot Federal round nose aluminum case exclusively in my 9mm weapons at the range. The 995 has yet to hiccup on those, whether in the HP mags or the Red Ball mag.
I sometimes carry a SCCY CPX-2 and when I do, I use Federal JHP brass. So far, the SCCY eats anything loaded in the mag. Just don't limp wrist a SCCY.
I haven't tried any hollow points in the 995, so I can't speak to that. Maybe some of the other guys can advise on that.
KJHansen, did you polish the feed ramp in your 995. The previous owner of mine did and did it right. It's nearly a mirror finish.
Also, after watching a Hickok45 video on cleaning guns, he uses Ballistol. I've noticed that a little dab of Ballistol on the feed ramp makes it slicker than snot on a gabardine coat sleeve!