Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Front Sight Visibility - Glow Paint? - Make it glow 24/7
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:11 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
One thing I don't like about working with images online is that they are data killers. Photobucket goes out of it's way to eat as much data as possible in as short a time as possible, working with the pictures on their site is easy although not entirely intuitive. There is a lot of 'hovering the pointer' involved to get the dropdown menus to expose themselves.

Assuming your browser renders the information the same as my Firefox that is. Therefore, on the photo album of your choice in PB there will be thumbnails shown of all your pictures. When the pointer is hovered over the picture on the bottom left side (in the grey area beside the photo) there will be a series of short horizontal lines, move the pointer over those lines to expose THAT drop down menu which is where you find the actions that can be taken. On mine I get [Share, Edit, Move, Delete], choose what you want to do (in this case-edit) wait for what seems like forever while PB eats your date loading advertisements and eventually that picture will reveal itself inside a box with every action that can be performed along the top edge as a horizontal scrolling banner (keep watching your data disappear in your task bar as the site continues working behind the scenes (loading more and more Flash video advertisements) :groan: Does it sound like I love PB? :sick: So, for a small yearly payment of $14.xx you can stop all that data stealing. yeah, right! :evil:

Anyway, that's how it works on my Firefox on WIN10 without edge. YMMV

On my smartphone I wouldn't even try working with pictures but that's just me. My finger blunts are just too large for fine tuning on a touch screen. :neutral:

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:02 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

I've started going more to imgur.com for that reason. Their site works much faster and I'm not getting bombarded by "sign up now and pay us money" ads.

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:14 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

I checked it out, looks like a pinterest page. Couldn't find my way behind behind the curtain to see the wizard. :groan:

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:55 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

OK ...So it's not relevant to the topic, but I think I figured out the problem. My phone won't allow me to reduce the size of the picture unless I send it as a text message. So I texted it to my wife who in turn sent it back to me. Then I sent the reduced picture to photobucket, then copied the IMG file location and.....Piece of cake.

What your looking at is the remains of the confetti filled balloon announcing " it's gonna be a boy".

Also, my sincerest apologies to Blind finger for hijacking his thread. Further contemplation of the tiny lights ? They would never handle the impact of the slide cycling...In my opinion. Their intended use was HO scale cars and trains.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:52 am 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Don't know... LEDs are pretty tough!

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:05 am 

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
George, no worries regarding your discussion about how to post images on the forum. In fact, you have inspired me to attempt to post some pics of my illuminated glow paint front sight on my 995ts.

The need for low budget ways to improve front sight visibility is growing exponentially as the baby boomer generation comes of age. The average age that folks begin having eye focus problems begins around 40 years old and gets progressively worse with age. Most senior citizens are not rollin in the dough these days. There is also the challenge of finding tritium/fiber optic sights that are compatible with the Hi Point carbine.

Companies that sell glow paint claiming hours of glow after being charged with a UV or LED light are crooks. They have been robbing senior citizens for years with this false advertising. I am one of the suckers that taken by several of these companies.

In my opinion:
Glow paint on a gun sight (night or day) can only be a viable option when the paint is illuminated with constant LED or UV light.

I will try to post a pic of my current setup ASAP.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:24 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

Blind Finger, I'm not sure phosphorescent paint would be as good as a side mounted light slightly pointed over the barrel. Contrasting colors on the iron sights are easy to pick up with blurred vision. I use my wife's old nail polish. For whatever reason, women require fresh nail polish, even though the bottles are relatively full. I use the stuff for everything because I'm cheap. It makes great "lock tite". I use it to paint the electrical screws on trailer lights to make the corrosion resistant. Those little bottles of colored lacquer have a million and one uses. Paint the barrel sight red or orange and the two on the reciever white or silver. If you don't like your color choices, acetone removes it in a few seconds. I mentioned in another thread that I'm going to paint a silver stripe on my 380 magazines to prevent accidentally loading the wrong gun when we have both C9s and CF380s sitting on the table. I'm going to use old nail polish. The little mirror in the makeup compact is also handy as hell for working on cars. I get made fun of for having it in my shop until someone needs to use it. Then I'm a genius.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:11 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Ex_ISP wrote:
Don't know... LEDs are pretty tough!

Yup, the LED itself is nearly indestructible, it's the circuitry that makes it do it's thing that is weak.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:16 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

George Taylor wrote:
Blind Finger, I'm not sure phosphorescent paint would be as good as a side mounted light slightly pointed over the barrel. Contrasting colors on the iron sights are easy to pick up with blurred vision. I use my wife's old nail polish. For whatever reason, women require fresh nail polish, even though the bottles are relatively full. I use the stuff for everything because I'm cheap. It makes great "lock tite". I use it to paint the electrical screws on trailer lights to make the corrosion resistant. Those little bottles of colored lacquer have a million and one uses. Paint the barrel sight red or orange and the two on the reciever white or silver. If you don't like your color choices, acetone removes it in a few seconds. I mentioned in another thread that I'm going to paint a silver stripe on my 380 magazines to prevent accidentally loading the wrong gun when we have both C9s and CF380s sitting on the table. I'm going to use old nail polish. The little mirror in the makeup compact is also handy as hell for working on cars. I get made fun of for having it in my shop until someone needs to use it. Then I'm a genius.

All excellent tips right here! :thumb: Me likey! Unfortunately my wife does not use makeup or do her nails. I like it that way, not a big fan of fake wimenz. Nice to admire from a distance, not up close and personal. Anyway, I never knew the stuff could be used in so many ways...good to know!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:31 pm 

George,
I say to get the best visual of the front sight one should take advantage of both your suggestions together.

Use phosphorescent paint on the front sight and use a side light mount that hits the front sight with peripheral light.

That creates excellent night sights also (as long as the side mount light is on.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:07 pm 

[quote="jasonsch"]Here's an idea - could you get a laser to point right at the bright paint on the front sight??
Probably would take some time to get it mounted just right... Just a thought!!

---------------------------------------------------
Jason, Yep, there ya go. Using a laser to illuminate the front sight is definitely thinking outside the box. Some great ideas popping up about how to help improve front sight visibility.

Profile E-mail