Hipointtalk.net

Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Front Sight Visibility - Glow Paint? - Make it glow 24/7
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:57 pm 

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
Several years ago, my eyesight began to deteriorate as I became a senior citizen. I am always seeking a way to improve the visibility of my front iron sights on a budget. My past experiences with glow paint etc. never panned out.

I have discovered a way to make that front sight jump right out for the many seniors or visually impaired. I have also mounted a red dot scope on the top rail, with a see through riser that allows me to keep iron sights. I do not cowitness my red dot sight with the iron sights. The red dot is zeroed in separately from the iron sights.

I have tried all the glow paints, fluorescent paints, different colors, etc and they did not work for me. The glow paints were great when they were glowing. The flourescent glow paints claim that you can shine a strong LED light on the paint & they will glow for hours. ( I have tried many of these glow paints & the glow only lasts for minutes -- not hours)

My discovery is that there is an easy way to make the glow paint glow 24/7. The answer is that anytime light is shining on the glow paint - it glows. A small, low power/low profile led light can be mounted on the top front part of the 995 (with a bit of enginuity) and nicely illuminates the front sight. The top mounted light, must be low profile enough that it does not block the line of vision from back sight to front sight.

Or one could purchase the $20 Hi Point side rails & mount an LED light on the side rail - the peripheral light from the side mounted light makes the front sight glow paint illuminate nicely allowing weaker eyes to visualize the glowing front sight

There are some draw backs:
The light must run consistently to illuminate the glow paint day or night while the carbine is in use.
From a self defense standpoint, lights on weapons always identify your location during an altercation.

Certainly a low budget answer to illuminate the front sight, but this has allowed me to pick up the front quickly and clearly when using the iron sights on my 995TS. This will do fine until I can afford the high dollar night sights.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Front Sight Visibility - Glow Paint? - Make it glow 24/7
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:58 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
My pea brain was thinking maybe a LED diode inside a small can of some sort with a peep hole aimed right at the top of the post to let the light fall on it. An easy to source pressure switch and flat battery case for the power supply.

Further thinking...(scary ain't it?) makes me wonder if the tiny LEDS in those solar yard lights would work? The can the LED could be mounted in doen't have to be more than 1/4" high methinks. The wires are so fine normally that hiding/attaching them would be no problem. :dunno: Just a thought...

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:08 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Or- >

http://glow-on.com/purchase.html

But the site says the glow does dim considerably after a short while, but is still seeable after 12 hours. Not a perfect fix I guess.

Can buy gas tritium in vials. Don't know anything about it, half life is 15 years. Cost is high, and can't find any infor so far on whether the gas is actually a 'gas', meaning if the vial is opened it escapes and causes a massive highly painful death in seconds...Well, that could be imaginative thinking... :dunno:

This has been discussed here->

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showth ... p?t=412462

and it has me thinking again.... :thinkin: That is always scary because i come up with good ideas that are never feasible although they are doable...

Such as rifle drilling a front site post, inserting an LED at the top, having it connect with a small LED light source in a different location with a pressure switch. I believe the LED's themselves are getting small enough, what I am not certain of is how much electronics are required to lite an LED? A simple voltage like a resistor type light? :dunno:

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:36 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Woke up this morning and made coffee while watching the snowstorm outside. A while later go back to make my normal nuked scrambled eggs and :huh: the nuker ran for ten seconds and shut off! Try again, same thing... wife in all her technical knowledge says unplug it and try that... :groan: so I did...same thing...see, she ain't so smart after all! :x But I ain't either...I unplugged it and replugged it at least four times to see if I could 'trick' it into at least cooking my eggs! I'm starving!!! Wasn't to be so I had to break out a 8" iron skillet and saute them to scrambled perfection! :whistle:

Microwave is exactly 10 years and 10 days old... :x THAT is annoying! Such a short life! Crap products anymore.

Looking on-line it seems that most folks are happy to get just six years out of a microwave! They stupid or what! My guess is OR WHAT! :funny: We got over 25 years on the one that was given to us on our wedding...but major technical improvements has reduced this acceptable longevity to just less than a decade!???

OK, off through the storm to buy a new nuker, looking forward to major argumentations with wify about which one to get. They all suck, the question is which one sucks for the longest time frame? :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:36 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
Blind finger wrote:
Several years ago, my eyesight began to deteriorate as I became a senior citizen. I am always seeking a way to improve the visibility of my front iron sights on a budget. My past experiences with glow paint etc. never panned out.

I have discovered a way to make that front sight jump right out for the many seniors or visually impaired. I have also mounted a red dot scope on the top rail, with a see through riser that allows me to keep iron sights. I do not cowitness my red dot sight with the iron sights. The red dot is zeroed in separately from the iron sights. I have tried all the glow paints, fluorescent paints, different colors, etc and they did not work for me. The glow paints were great when they were glowing. The flourescent glow paints claim that you can shine a strong LED light on the paint & they will glow for hours. ( I have tried many of these glow paints & the glow only lasts for minutes -- not hours)

My discovery is that there is an easy way to make the glow paint glow 24/7. The answer is that anytime light is shining on the glow paint - it glows. A small, low power/low profile led light can be mounted on the top front part of the 995 (with a bit of enginuity) and nicely illuminates the front sight. The top mounted light, must be low profile enough that it does not block the line of vision from back sight to front sight.

Or one could purchase the $20 Hi Point side rails & mount an LED light on the side rail - the peripheral light from the side mounted light makes the front sight glow paint illuminate nicely allowing weaker eyes to visualize the glowing front sight

The light must run consistently to illuminate the glow paint day or night while the carbine is in use.
From a self defense standpoint, lights on weapons always identify your location during an altercation.

Certainly a low budget answer to illuminate the front sight, but this has allowed me to pick up the front quickly and clearly when using the iron sights on my 995TS. This will do fine until I can afford the high dollar night sights.

What type of riser did you use on your R.D.? I have tried several but they don't work for me to see through them with my stock sights.
I even tried lowering my front and rear sights but could not see them through the couple of see through risers I have on hand.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:56 am 

kengrant wrote:
Blind finger wrote:

I have discovered a way to make that front sight jump right out for the many seniors or visually impaired. I have also mounted a red dot scope on the top rail, with a see through riser that allows me to keep iron sights. I do not cowitness my red dot sight with the iron sights. The red dot is zeroed in separately from the iron sights. I have tried all the glow paints, fluorescent paints, different colors, etc and they did not work for me. The glow paints were great when they were glowing. The flourescent glow paints claim that you can shine a strong LED light on the paint & they will glow for hours. ( I have tried many of these glow paints & the glow only lasts for minutes -- not hours)

What type of riser did you use on your R.D.? I have tried several but they don't work for me to see through them with my stock sights.
I even tried lowering my front and rear sights but could not see them through the couple of see through risers I have on hand.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------'----
Hey Kengrant
I found a. 1.1 inch see through riser on Amazon. It is made by Fieldsport. https://www.amazon.com/FieldSport-Inch-Extra-Riser-Mount/dp/B015MJ11ZG

I tried a 1 inch riser but not enough clearance. The 1.1 inch with 5 slots on top did the trick.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:05 am 

Randy wrote:
Or- >

http://glow-on.com/purchase.html

But the site says the glow does dim considerably after a short while, but is still seeable after 12 hours. Not a perfect fix I guess.

Can buy gas tritium in vials. Don't know anything about it, half life is 15 years. Cost is high, and can't find any infor so far on whether the gas is actually a 'gas', meaning if the vial is opened it escapes and causes a massive highly painful death in seconds...Well, that could be imaginative thinking... :dunno:

This has been discussed here->

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showth ... p?t=412462

and it has me thinking again.... :thinkin: That is always scary because i come up with good ideas that are never feasible although they are doable...

Such as rifle drilling a front site post, inserting an LED at the top, having it connect with a small LED light source in a different location with a pressure switch. I believe the LED's themselves are getting small enough, what I am not certain of is how much electronics are required to lite an LED? A simple voltage like a resistor type light? :dunno:

- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Randy,
Please trust me, none of these glow paints will glow not longer than 30 minutes after the LED light stops shining on them. Their claim of 4, 8 or 12bhours is straight up false advertising.

I have personal knowledge as I have purchased and tried the Glow On, the Site Glow, Walmart glow fingernail Polish, flourescent paint and a couple of others.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:24 am 

My first try at this was to mount a pen size Maglite Solitaire Flashlight immediately behind the front sight..about 4 inches back. My flashlight mount consisted of velcro and 4 zip ties. Dropped a dab of glow paint on the front sight, turn the light on and Wallah!!!....it lit up the front sight like a Christmas tree. Naturally, my concern was if the Maglite Solitaire light would hold up to the recoil or shock. Went to the range and the Maglite went dead after 5 shots. The mount held up fine.

I now have the same set up but with a very small bushnell Flashlight mounted in the same place. Have not tested it at the range yet.
If that doesn't hold up, I will simply move my 200 lumen flashlight (moved back far enough so that the light will get peripheral shine on the front sight) to the side weaver mount.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:27 am 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
"Hey Kengrant
I found a. 1.1 inch see through riser on Amazon. It is made by Fieldsport. https://www.amazon.com/FieldSport-Inch- ... B015MJ11ZG

I tried a 1 inch riser but not enough clearance. The 1.1 inch with 5 slots on top did the trick."

I just ordered one . Did you have to lower your stock sights any?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:13 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

I also experimented with "Glow-on" paint. I'd set it outside in Arizona sun for an hour then put it in the closet. Come in and check it in one hour and it was virtually dark. 15 more minutes and it lost 100% of it 's glow. Don't waste your time and money.

I ended up buying a "Meprolight" for the G22 and a "Trijicon" for one of my GP-100s. No worries for another 12 years. And, Mepro will retube an existing sight for you for about $20!!!

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:20 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Just looked... TruGlo has tritium front AND rear for $92. Tijicon will run you about $150 for front and rear... Of course, this will vary with the weapon.

Alexander Hamilton

them."

Thomas Jefferson

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:01 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Here's what I did to my other GP-100 to make the front sight POP for quick acquisition...

Too big. Just click on it
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n532/exisp/GP-FrontSight.jpg

Alexander Hamilton

them."

Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:31 am 

Ex_ISP wrote:
Here's what I did to my other GP-100 to make the front sight POP for quick acquisition...

Too big. Just click on it
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n532/exisp/GP-FrontSight.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------'-----------'
Yep, I thought that would work for me also, but my eyesight is probably worse than yours. I have tried just applying the flourescent colors, including orange like yours. Still can't pickup up the front sight with my eyes unless it is glow paint and is illuminated.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:42 am 

kengrant wrote:
"Hey Kengrant
I found a. 1.1 inch see through riser on Amazon. It is made by Fieldsport. https://www.amazon.com/FieldSport-Inch- ... B015MJ11ZG

I tried a 1 inch riser but not enough clearance. The 1.1 inch with 5 slots on top did the trick."

I just ordered one . Did you have to lower your stock sights any?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
NO, did not have to adjust a thing. The front sight stayed zeroed without any adjustment. The front sight does not need to be lowered as it did not interfere with my view through the red dot. In other words the front sight will not be in the picture of the Red Dot. Then zero the Red Dot independently.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:47 am 
Fanatic
Fanatic

Adding tiny lights to iron sights is a novel idea. When I was a kid , we drilled out the plastic bodies on a couple of slot cars and added "rice lights" as headlights for racing in the dark. Today's LEDs use way less power and solar panels come small enough to fit on a portion of rail. I have a small solar powered thermometer thats ten years old and I've never changed the battery. My wheels are turning...I just need a little more coffee.

Profile E-mail