Hipointtalk.net

Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: PLEASE HELP - Hi Point 995 Ts - Failure To Feed - SOLVED!!
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:14 am 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
I purchased my new 995TS from my Local Gun Store about 3 months back. I have 4 factory Hi Point 10 round magazines and I am experiencing consistent failure to feeds - nosedown- with 3 of these magazines. The other magazine doesn't consistently misfeed, but it does misfeed - nosedown- on occasion. I have about 150 rounds through the 995TS,

My research has indicated there are several tweaks that can be used to get this problem handled before I would have to send the mags and firearm back to Hi Point. After 150 rounds, I would expect some improvement but nothing has improved.;

1. I know that polishing the feed ramp is pretty high on the list of resolving the problem and I plan to have this done before my next range visit.
2. Tweaking the magazine lips seems to be at the top of the list. If 1 of my magazines fed reliably enough, I would get the measurements from it and tweak the other magazines to it's specifications.
3. I have sanded the follower and the inside of the magazines to make them smooth as a baby's butt.
4. There are a few mentions of spring tension problems and I have had all my mags loaded full for 1 and 1/2 weeks.

I am hoping someone can provide me with the specs that should be applied to these magazine lips to get them running smoothly.
I see where some have simply stated that if the ftf is nosedown then just widen the front iip. If the ftf over the top tighten the front lips of the magazines. I have measured the lip spreads with my calibration tool and they are all over the place.

Example - 1 magazine measurement
TOP REAR LIP - 342 hundredths of inch
TOP FRONT LIP - .346
FRONT LOWER LIP - .368

Can anyone help me with the magazine lip specs that would improve the reliability of these magazines before I send them back to MOM.

Last edited by Blind finger on Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: PLEASE HELP - Hi Point 995 Ts - Failure To Feed - Nose down
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:45 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
Blind finger - this might see like a small thing, but I know it makes a difference with my 45 JHP.

After I load a mag I whack it against my hand several times.

It must help the rounds get oriented and sitting in the mag right - which helps them feed better.

It's simple enough to try at home!!
Load a mag like you have been and look closely to see if there are any "loose" rounds in there.
Or if you can see any that aren't aligned right.

And even if it looks good - whack it against your hand and listen.
Sometimes you can hear or even feel the rounds snap into place.

May or may not help you out - worth a look anyway!! (-:

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”
Article VI, Section 24 of the South Dakota Constitution

I sure miss you Amp - (Dean Stephens) - Wish I could have met you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:33 am 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

What Jason said ^^
Tap the back of the mag pretty solidly against your hand. That helps seat the rounds and get them all pointed the right direction.
As for specing the mags, I'm not home, so I can't help you there. :dunno:
But try laying the smackdown on them and see what happens.

--- Rabbi Shraga Silverstein

Come visit Barker Hill. Homesteading, survival, farming and self reliance.

Photobucket sucks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:43 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=536

There is lots of info in the above too. (-:

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”
Article VI, Section 24 of the South Dakota Constitution

I sure miss you Amp - (Dean Stephens) - Wish I could have met you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:05 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
And here is a link here listing the factory recommended specs for the mags

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=18093

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:56 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
Nose down will be the mags...

http://elby.yolasite.com/ Mosin sight tools

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/blrobinso ... geOffset=2
My fantasy novels and C&R Bound Book

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:26 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

3 magazines not measuring to spec? What are the odds. I don't have the answer, but the possibility that 3 mags need the feed lips altered seems unlikely. I have a total of about 8 Hi Point magazines and have had little if any trouble with them. It could be rim lock...or how about just trying different ammo. Also, shouldering the gun loosely may affect how the gun cycles. Get some different ammo, rap the mags after they're loaded, make sure the action is lubricated, press the butstock firmly so the blowback action can do it's work, and have at it. The only time I ever saw one not work right, it was remedied with lube.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:34 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

WOW! you guys are awesome. Thanks for the info. I don't know why or when I developed the habit of tapping the back of the mag but I do that when loading all of my mags.
The specs for the mag lips made my day. I thought I was a pretty thorough researcher but I sure did overlook that sticky (right under my nose)in the Gunsmithing Topic.

I do have one more question. The post that shows the specs for the mag lips have me a bit confused in rhe way rhey are listed.
I was thinking the measurements would show 3 places that show the spread distance. I guess the post shows 2 measurements
1. the lips on top as one measurement
2. the lower out front lips.

Any thoughts?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:58 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
I think the rear measurement is the whole rear edge that holds the round while the front measurement is the guide lips on the front of the mag. If you are getting a lot of nose down feeds and you cannot find any other reason for it, you might try to open the front lips up just a little and let the front of the round sit up a little bit. I would advise measuring the mags and writing down the current specs so if it doesn't work you can go back to what they were.

Let us know how it goes for you... if this doesn't work we will look at other options. Its got to be something simple.

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:57 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Most of the time it seems to be the mag lips.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:16 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

(Edited a dozen times to add pictures and change commentary since I'm trying to remember this from five years ago)

One point that no one mentions is the tendency of the mag to be off to the side of the mag well so the bullet doesn't line up very good with the chamber.
When the mag is adjusted it can be adjusted to bring the bullet back in line with the chamber as it enters. This may not be any type of issue but the least amount of compound angles the bullet has to maneuver through the fewer chances of a FTF. Image

The nose of the bullet has to rise as the slide retracts upon firing.
This sort of aims the bullet right at the chamber. The nose of the bullet has to contact the ramp just behind the extreme front of the bullet so it deflects the bullet into the chamber where the bullet nose will then contact the roof of the chamber deflecting it into the chamber.

On the other hand, if the nose is too high or the rim end is too low the bullet will stovepipe because it will pivot too soon.
If the nose is too low and the rim is to high the bullet will fail to feed ass end up or wedge the slide open. The mag lips only really come into play for that micro-instant that the slide is completely rearward. The rest of the time the bullets are contained by the bottom of the slide. So, in essence, the mag lips are merely guides, except for when the slide is locked back on a full or partially full mag. However, they still need to hold the bullets from falling out too.

One other point is that the bullets need to be held as high as possible around their circumference (longitudinal center line) while, again, keeping them from falling out of the mag.

Personally I tried all the caliper tricks and measurements and ultimately just took the slide off my gun and inserted a full mag and tweeked it until everything worked right. Mine will now shoot aluminum, steel, and brass cases with no hiccups. I reload my own and so I keep the OAL as long as SAMI specs say is acceptable for the powders I use. :dunno:

As for the polishing of the feed ramp...no real need to. Too much opportunity to fork the frick out of the gun if done wrong. Mine has a nice bullet smoothed finish on it and works very good. But that choice is yours. With that said, if there appears to be a heavy chipped off area that leaves a sorta ledge in the paint then yeah, time to chip the rest of the paint off with something, again polishing is not needed but a smooth ramp is-painted or not.

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:43 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

George Taylor wrote:
3 magazines not measuring to spec? What are the odds. I don't have the answer, but the possibility that 3 mags need the feed lips altered seems unlikely. I have a total of about 8 Hi Point magazines and have had little if any trouble with them. It could be rim lock...or how about just trying different ammo. Also, shouldering the gun loosely may affect how the gun cycles. Get some different ammo, rap the mags after they're loaded, make sure the action is lubricated, press the butstock firmly so the blowback action can do it's work, and have at it. The only time I ever saw one not work right, it was remedied with lube.

I bought five mags from Mom for the .40 that I had. One fed, all the rest had to be adjusted.

http://elby.yolasite.com/ Mosin sight tools

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/blrobinso ... geOffset=2
My fantasy novels and C&R Bound Book

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:59 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Another thing I notice on my mags is that (after tapping the rounds back) sometimes the spring just doesn't seem to push the bullet nose up adequately. I'll take my thumb and push the bullet base down into the mag and that brings the nose up to the right angle. 100% success if I do that.

Alexander Hamilton

them."

Thomas Jefferson

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:21 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
Ex if a mag does that to me, I take the spring out, stretch it slightly and put it back together... been doing that trick for years and years now.

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:23 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

I think I need to bend the front part of the spring up a bit too.

Alexander Hamilton

them."

Thomas Jefferson