Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: PLEASE HELP - Hi Point 995 Ts - Failure To Feed - Nose down
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:19 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
I shot a Bersa Thunder last year when a friend brought his and I was very impressed with it. Pretty decent trigger and a spot on shooter! I'd heard good things about them and my experience was no disappointment!

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:41 am 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
UPDATE

Again, thanks for all the responses and different methods of improving the failure to feed problems with my new 995TS.
Looks like some of the 995TS magazines are finicky and need some attention to run smoothly.

As stated previously, I have 4 factory 10 round mags and 3 of them are causing consistent failure to feeds nosedown. Armed with all of the great feedback from the forum, I just jumped right in and disassembled all 3 mags.

* I sanded the followers smooth (600 grit) at any point they made contact with the magazine.

* I sanded the feed lips of the magazine smooth in the direction that the round travels for feed and at any point they made contact
with the ammo.

* I sanded the entire internal part of the magazines with emphasis on the interior zig zag side where the mag is pressed together.

* I then cleaned the inside of the magazine, the follower and the spring thoroughly with CLP.

After all magazines were put back together, I began loading ammo into the magazines. I then noticed on the 5th round there began to be a separation in the front part of the mag between rounds which continued all the way until round 10. I found that the tap on the back of the magazine and to push the back of the round down several times as I loaded the rounds took away some of the separation. The other 2 mags seemed to do fairly well with the correct slant up angle of the rounds.
Then I decided to load each mag up with 10 snap caps and see how the magazines would function by hand cycling. 2 of the magazines cycled several times without an issue. One of the mags did not feed very well. :sick:

* I disassembled the mag that would not hand cycle and stretched the spring a bit. I also turned the top part of the spring up with my needle nose pliers to give the follower a stronger foundation for holding the nose up. The magazine then functioned OK while hand cycling. :minigun:

Not going to mess with the feed ramp at this point. It still has the paint that Hi Point uses. If my next trip to the range does not show great improvement, I will be surprised.
Wish me luck!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:30 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
I polished the feed ramp on a C9 once, and it seemed that it started showing more damage afterwards. Little "dings" appeared, nothing that you could catch a fingernail on but it was enough that I never did it again.

So you're saying that the magazine started spreading apart under pressure? I'd certainly send that one back in to Mom...

http://elby.yolasite.com/ Mosin sight tools

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/blrobinso ... geOffset=2
My fantasy novels and C&R Bound Book

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:12 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Mo, I think he means that the cartridges had a space between the fronts of each of them inside the mag. :thinkin: The cartridges where not flush with each other projectile to rim end.

My thinking is this should not matter as long as the round sits in the lips correctly. What the second to ten cartridge does to influence the top one when the top one is pressed tight to the bottom of the slide I can't say. It's that fraction of an instant when the slide moves off that top round, the round moves up into position to be stripped and then starts moving forwards that is the most important methinks. It's this quarter of a second that the position of the nose of the bullet is the deciding factor on whether there is a successful feed. If the nose doesn't rise high enough, or rises too high, then a failure might follow.

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:28 am 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Randy, you are correct about the separation between rounds inside the magazine. Round 1 (bottom) through round 5 stayed slightly angled upward and also stayed flush with each other. From round 6 through 10 the front part of the ammo began to separate slightly at the front part and progressively separated a bit more as I loaded each round. After the 10th round was loaded, I could push the nose of the the top round down easily as there was a space between the front part of the rounds. The ammo was flush in the rear of the magazine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:08 am 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
Ive had different mags for different weapons do that blind finger... the important thing is whether they line up and feed correctly at the top. as long as they don't bind up and hang up down in the mag.

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:30 am 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Waltham41, thamks for sharing your experience with me. Your post gives me hope that I can have 4 reliable magazines on my next range visit. I just recently purchased 1 of the Red Ball 20 round mags. I have read mixed reviews on the Red Ball 20 rounder. Hoping it will function properly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:06 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

You can make them reliable, may take a time or two of tweaking them a bit but we will help you figure it out.

Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:49 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Blind finger wrote:
[b][color=#FF0040]UPDATE # 2[/b][/color]

Again, thanks for all the responses and different methods of improving the failure to feed problems with my new 995TS.
Looks like some of the 995TS magazines are finicky and need some attention to run smoothly.

As stated previously, I have 4 factory 10 round mags and 3 of them are causing consistent failure to feeds nosedown. Armed with all of the great feedback from the forum, I just jumped right in and disassembled all 3 mags.

* I sanded the followers smooth (600 grit) at any point they made contact with the magazine.

* I sanded the feed lips of the magazine smooth in the direction that the round travels for feed and at any point they made contact
with the ammo.

* I sanded the entire internal part of the magazines with emphasis on the interior zig zag side where the mag is pressed together.

* I then cleaned the inside of the magazine, the follower and the spring thoroughly with CLP.

After all magazines were put back together, I began loading ammo into the magazines. I then noticed on the 5th round there began to be a separation in the front part of the mag between rounds which continued all the way until round 10. I found that the tap on the back of the magazine and to push the back of the round down several times as I loaded the rounds took away some of the separation. The other 2 mags seemed to do fairly well with the correct slant up angle of the rounds.
Then I decided to load each mag up with 10 snap caps and see how the magazines would function by hand cycling. 2 of the magazines cycled several times without an issue. One of the mags did not feed very well. :sick:

* I disassembled the mag that would not hand cycle and stretched the spring a bit. I also turned the top part of the spring up with my needle nose pliers to give the follower a stronger foundation for holding the nose up. The magazine then functioned OK while hand cycling. :minigun:

Not going to mess with the feed ramp at this point. It still has the paint that Hi Point uses. If my next trip to the range does not show great improvement, I will be surprised.
Wish me luck!

UPDATE # 2
THANKS TO ALL!
I now have a Hi Point carbine 995TS that is a joy to shoot.

I just finished putting 160 rounds through my 995ts at the range. Using the suggestions of folks on this thread, the tweaks to the magazines made my range visit today very enjoyable. I had 1 failure to feed (noseup) from 1 of the 4 factory 10 round magazines. I reloaded that same magazine 2 more times and it fed perfectly without any issues. The other 3 10 round factory magazines were flawless.
To make things even better, the Red Ball 20 rounder fed 60 rounds without 1 hiccup - perfect.
I used all FMJ ammo 115 grain. Federal, Winchester White Box, Blazer Brass & Perfecta.

I did decide to polish the feed ramp previous to today's range visit. The other tweaks were stated previously in the thread.
Fun Day! :minigun:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:11 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Blind finger wrote:
Blind finger wrote:
[b][color=#FF0040]UPDATE # 2[/b][/color]

with the ammo.

Wish me luck!

UPDATE # 2
THANKS TO ALL!
I now have a Hi Point carbine 995TS that is a joy to shoot.

I just finished putting 160 rounds through my 995ts at the range. Using the suggestions of folks on this thread, the tweaks to the magazines made my range visit today very enjoyable. I had 1 failure to feed (noseup) from 1 of the 4 factory 10 round magazines. I reloaded that same magazine 2 more times and it fed perfectly without any issues. The other 3 10 round factory magazines were flawless.
To make things even better, the Red Ball 20 rounder fed 60 rounds without 1 hiccup - perfect.
I used all FMJ ammo 115 grain. Federal, Winchester White Box, Blazer Brass & Perfecta.

I did decide to polish the feed ramp previous to today's range visit. The other tweaks were stated previously in the thread.
Fun Day! :minigun:

Good to hear! As for the feed ramp polish...that's irrelevant; do it, don't do it, all the same. If done carefully it doesn't do any harm. It's working now, that's the important thing. :thumb:

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: PLEASE HELP - Hi Point 995 Ts - Failure To Feed - SOLVED!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:50 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

I'm glad to hear your carbine is working good for you now, makes the range trip so much more enjoyable ;)

Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

ImageImage

Profile E-mail