Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Creating a BP stock
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:18 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
OK, we all know I'm in the process of building a Kentucky style kit gun. This project is much more difficult than the shotgun stock was. I have the stock smooth now (to the dry touch anyway) but I'm getting aggravated trying to retain the sharp edges around the raised areas where the lock and side plates reside (around the outside edges, not the inletted right-angle edges). I've been using sanding blocks shaped as closely to the contours as I can make them but the top of the slope is getting blurred instead of staying crisp. :dunno: The original top is very close to finished grade so sanding it further to make the edges crisp might result in having to deepen the inletting. That would be entirely too much work...and outside my level of experience.

Any suggestions?

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Creating a BP stock
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:14 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
tape the edges?

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:04 am 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
I'm having trouble visualizing that, but can you use a scraper?
My brother works wood, and a lot of times, he uses a scraper to smooth instead of sanding too much

--- Rabbi Shraga Silverstein

Come visit Barker Hill. Homesteading, survival, farming and self reliance.

Photobucket sucks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:42 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Or a file with controlled pressure on the strokes. Make it easy to keep a straight plane...

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:44 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

I've thought about using tape but like a lot of my thoughts I don't act on them.. :twisted: :roflol: :roflol:

Scraping. I have started scraping now, just don't have a scraper with the right concave. All my scrapers are flat. :groan: I say 'all' ...hahaha, I mean my one. And it's not flat either. I use what I have just like always. So I use one of my sharpest knife blades to scrape. I used to have a box of broken glass but I finally threw it out some years ago. :neutral: I guess I could always break a bottle...

I tried a half round file but the profile just wasn't right. The biggest problem is the point at the ends of the raised areas. It is actually supposed to come to a point and blend in with the ridge that runs down the side of the grip. This creates a multi angled area with no straight lines. Right now I have blurred it badly and it sorta just rounds over. It's not past the point of no return I don't think.

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:41 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
A die grinder with a carbide cutter??
Or maybe a Dremel tool??

Or screw the die grinder and Dremel too - Maybe a drill with a a carbide cutter in it?

I could be missing the point entirely - - I haint never dund what your doing there...

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”
Article VI, Section 24 of the South Dakota Constitution

I sure miss you Amp - (Dean Stephens) - Wish I could have met you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:16 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Good ideas. My concern is getting the sharp break at the edge and a good blend with no furrow at the toe. Basically...can my hand and eyesight use a powered tool to good advantage or will it wreck havoc with the project? Only trying will tell the tale I guess.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:56 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
No power tools! Dowels and sandpaper. Slow and steady wins the race.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:12 am 
Fanatic
Fanatic

Like Tolly said. You need a block under the sandpaper like when your sanding to a bondo body line on a car. Your hand can't do it. Looks pretty damn good so far. We are way too judgemental of our own work. Your doing a great job. Are you going to put a protective finish on it, or just stain and oil it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:32 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Thanks for reinforcing my desire to not use power tools. They can catch and ruin a LOT of work really quickly!

Never thought of dowels, I've been trying to roll sandpaper tightly into a dowel shape and use one end in the reverse curve. But I'm still going over the top edge... :cry: The problem is this is the first one I've done that was so poorly shaped from the factory. Honestly it's only the second one I've ever tried doing anyway. What I did was do it backwards. I sand the top of the in-letted areas first... I know better now. Now I have to back pedal to get those edges back. I can still take a small amount of material from the top during the final sanding but I want to keep it to a minimum. The last thing I want to do is leave the metal higher than the wood and trying to lower the metal creates other problems anyway.

I'm not much on fancy finishes, the shotgun stock I did I cut too many corners on. I never filled the pores, I wasn't careful with the leather stain, I got the wrong color leather stain... blah, blah, blah. Otherwise, I spent a lot of time on it. Mostly rubbing the poorly applied stain back off it. I have a bottle of tung oil. I applied about ten hand rubbed coats of that over the stain, I burned my hand doing it. Then I covered that with hand rubbed furniture paste wax. It didn't come out the way I wanted but it does look good. I was hoping to do better with this one.

I did refurbish my SKS stock when I got it. I wasn't happy with the way it turned out either. It's discouraging. I've never been much of a finish wood worker, I built onsite concrete form work, not much to that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:15 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

While I definitely like Tung Oil, it's not what I'd use for a stock. Poor UV resistance (it flakes off from sunlight), poor water resistance (it spots, though easy to fix with Tung) and isn't quite as durable as I'd like.
I have been using a LOT of Birchwood Caseys gunstock finish on my knife handles and really like it! Very clear, very good shine and much tougher. JMHO

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:44 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Ex_ISP wrote:
While I definitely like Tung Oil, it's not what I'd use for a stock. Poor UV resistance (it flakes off from sunlight), poor water resistance (it spots, though easy to fix with Tung) and isn't quite as durable as I'd like.
I have been using a LOT of Birchwood Caseys gunstock finish on my knife handles and really like it! Very clear, very good shine and much tougher. JMHO

But it's period correct. Tung oil has been around for centuries. It has been used on fine and expensive furniture. Tung oil is supposed to be rubbed in, not on. There shouldn't be anything left on the surface to flake off but I'm no expert on it. You might be confusing it with tung oil varnish. Two different beasts. Tru-oil is also a possibility. :dunno:

Here is an excerpt from an article on a Canadian woodworking website devoted to debunking myths about tung oil. >>

"However, if you want to use oil, and you have some time to devote to the finish, pure tung oil is in a class by itself. There is no other drying oil that has the same resistance to water, mold, bacteria, yellowing, darkening, but offers strength and flexibility". -https://www.canadianwoodworking.com/get-more/tung-oil-debunking-myths

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:40 am 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
I used tung oil on my Mini-14.
Several coats rubbed in followed by a couple coats of furniture wax.
It doesn't see a lot of use, but it still looks good
Before
After

--- Rabbi Shraga Silverstein

Come visit Barker Hill. Homesteading, survival, farming and self reliance.

Photobucket sucks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:41 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
I don't use power tools on wood... you cant put wood back if you goof and take too much off... metal is ok because you can weld it back up and try again, but not wood.

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:37 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
I'd go with tung oil. I did the stock on my grandpa's 410 and the dark walnut stock is beautiful.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Profile E-mail