Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Creating a BP stock
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:21 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
Haven't done a thing to the stock all week. Need stuff I don't have and can't afford right now. :groan:

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:00 am 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
What do you need?

--- Rabbi Shraga Silverstein

Come visit Barker Hill. Homesteading, survival, farming and self reliance.

Photobucket sucks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:47 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Nothing much but nothing I WANT to spend money on right now. Another sheet or two of sandpaper is all.

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:49 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

OK, what I came up with was what I already had at hand... I used an old knife with flat sides as a sanding block and the blade inside it was the serrated on one side type with clip point (I think that's what it's called) so I used it to scrape the concave back into shape with that...a LOT of scraping mind you. I sanded the flats with the sides of the aluminum knife used as a solid sanding block. One end of the knife had a re-curved end so that radius also was used to help finish the concave area. So far so good!

I started fitting the trigger guard... it's bent too short so I have to try to bend it so it's longer without breaking it. I'm not too familiar with the properties of brass/bronze (no idea right now which it is) so I don't how to bend it. I was trying to brute force it open with my arms and hands last night but these days two flies walking in opposite directions would have more force. :groan: I only need to gain about a 1/16" to 3/32". Too picky? Not if it's easy and easy is subjective to the observer.

Any advice on how to bend hard yellow metal?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:57 am 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
Randy wrote:
Any advice on how to bend hard yellow metal?

Gently?
I think I'd just put it in a vice and bend it just a little at a time
Gently

--- Rabbi Shraga Silverstein

Come visit Barker Hill. Homesteading, survival, farming and self reliance.

Photobucket sucks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:17 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

That was my first impulse too. I believe that if it's brass it will bend OK, if it's bronze it will not bend much at all, at least not easily. :groan:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:14 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
A little heat can't hurt

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:21 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

"little" leaves a lot of leeway! I can go with as little as a candle flame, or as big as a rosebud. I looked up some info on heating brass/bronze and most info is about marine fittings of various types such as cleats, props, etc. What I found out was that most cast yellow metal is bronze and forged yellow metal is brass. Brass is more inclined to bend easy, bronze not so much. That doesn't appear to mean bronze cannot be bent however.

The other thing I found was that the metallurgical analysis of the metal plays an important part in what it is; brass/bronze. Heat has little to no effect on it's hardness after cooling despite the manner (speed) of cooling (since there is no ferric material in it).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:58 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Ferric. That's exactly the word in this context. But that ferric just means iron, which won't harden without carbon. It's a catch 22.

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:08 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

That's true, but ferric alone is generally not put in softer metal compounds, is it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:24 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

As a rule, no. The differences in properties make it (a) hard to combine, and (b) of little use in the addition of it.

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:59 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Well, I don't recall any updates on this projects recently. If I put them in another thread I don't remember, :groan:

Bummer! The yellow metal did not bend, it broke. :neutral: So now I have to buy a new trigger guard. About $14.50 not including the raping due to shipping ($5.95).

But I also need a new nose cap (maybe)>>

For some reason the previous clicky won't play for me, the one below does. :dunno:
http://vid1216.photobucket.com/albums/d ... istol1.mp4

Anyway, I might just go with what I have; I have some horns I use to make spoons and powder horns from that I can make a spacer from that will fill that gap. Not sure if I will like the look however. Not sure how I will keep it in place either. Glue is out of the question. Maybe two small brads close to the center? The nose cap is hollow enough to accommodate them I think, even a couple small screws might work. :dunno:

Overall this kit sucks. The ramrod channel is cut off center, the inletting was slightly too big in spots, and the brass wasn't right. Now, a professional woodworker could glue on a sliver of wood along the side of the channel that would close it up and move it over some without it being too obvious...I am not that person. So my best bet is to make it wrong equally on both sides so it looks uniform. :groan: And closing the gap is just an obstacle, but the trigger guard is frustrating. It's just a good thing they sell these parts or the gun might never get finished. I spose I could try my hand at fabricating a steel guard. :dunno: But with my limited arsenal of tools, I doubt that would work very good. But then I wonder what tools they had when these guns were made originally? Folks with talent just up and designed and built these guns back in the 1700's in their work shops... :dunno: And I think...if they could do without electricity, then why can't I?

Here's another vid I made to send to the giver of the gun.

http://vid1216.photobucket.com/albums/d ... ckPics.mp4

Yup, I eat and work on guns at the same table...I just finished a plate of bacon and pancakes :whistle: when I took these vids late last night.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:38 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I wish I had see this thread earlier, I have built several dozen ML rifles and pistols from scratch over the years.

That "yellow metal" is cast brass and because it was cast and air cooled it is brittle and snapped on you.

With brass you have to heat it with a torch or propane burner and dip it in water to make it soft and bendable.

Brass works just the opposite to steel, which hardens when quenched in water.

A new nose cap is not going to help you with that gap. The new one will be just like the old one. Those screws go through the cap, through the wood and into the bottom of the barrel. You also have pins holding the front section of the stock to the barrel, so there is no give if you have already drilled the pins.

Best to go to the hardware store and find a sheet of brass to make a shim to fill that gap. That or use wood filler and then stain the whole thing to hide the repair.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:39 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Tincup wrote:
I wish I had see this thread earlier, I have built several dozen ML rifles and pistols from scratch over the years.

That "yellow metal" is cast brass and because it was cast and air cooled it is brittle and snapped on you.

With brass you have to heat it with a torch or propane burner and dip it in water to make it soft and bendable.

Brass works just the opposite to steel, which hardens when quenched in water.

A new nose cap is not going to help you with that gap. The new one will be just like the old one. Those screws go through the cap, through the wood and into the bottom of the barrel. You also have pins holding the front section of the stock to the barrel, so there is no give if you have already drilled the pins.

Best to go to the hardware store and find a sheet of brass to make a shim to fill that gap. That or use wood filler and then stain the whole thing to hide the repair.

Thanks for the tip on the tempering of yellow metal I'll use it with the new piece IF it is not bent correctly.

No pins holding the Kentucky stock, just the nose cap screws. Only the rearmost screw goes through wood however. If the front screw was supposed to then, again, the stock was cut wrong from the factory.

I did consider using a piece of brass to fill the gap but was concerned with how it would look...thinkin it would LOOK like a piece of brass shim stock added as an afterthought. That's why I was considering something with a bit more obvious contrast so it was plain that it was meant to be there. The actual horn I have is domestic dairy cattle not bison, this means it has a greenish tint to it. I know a few folks around here that raise bison however. Not sure how much they would get for a horn though, anything buffalo is pricey.

When I go down to the basement I'll drag a horn back up with me and take pictures of it. I seldom go down to the basement anymore so the spiders have taken over. :wow: :scared:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:54 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you want a horn spacer try one of the knife making supply companies. It is common spacer material for knife work.

Profile E-mail