Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Good / bad range day
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:19 am 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
I was at the range again today, kind of living there lately, not that I'm complaining. But anyway, I was doing some work with my DIL's Tika, which by the way shot amazingly. While her rig was cooling, I was getting my range finder TBR dialed in to my glass, to correlate with the load I'm using.

So I decided to shoot a couple 3 round groups to confirm it's still sighted in to zero, which is 230 yds with this load. So I printed my first group and it was stellar, seriously nice group. Second one was s carbon copy. So now I'm in a groove and don't really want to put my Ruger down. So I decide to shoot another group, but this time the first bullet hit over 6" low, still center, but low. I immediately knew something was up, cause no way it was me, at least not today. So I put another one down range. and this one is almost 6" high. So I decided to use a piece of tape as an indexing point on the scope tube, so I could tell if it moved. So I took another shot, this time it was touching the hole of the last round fired, at this point I'm not even worrying about where it's grouping, but if it's grouping at all. So I picked a fresh target, that way I could more easily determine how it's grouping. I put 3 together touching each other, then the 4th round was like 6" high again. I glanced at the index mark, and bingo, the scope was moving, sliding back actually.

In part, it's these darn lead sleds, they're really hard on mounting hardware and the glass also. I've had problems more than once due to the inertia created by shooting off a sled. I usually put an extra 4 or 5 inch pounds on my scope's, simply because I shoot off sleds a lot. But this scope got mounted at the LGS, I was there, they offered, I accepted, and then forgot to have him add a few additional inch pounds.

But the upside is, I got to print some very satisfying groups before I shook things loose. That's another thing, I always bring my tools and any necessary gear, but of all days, not today.

GS

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:56 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
Glad ya got that figured out. Thanks for taking that lesson for us and passing along the info.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Good / bad range day
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:32 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Also glad you got it figured and that it's a simple fix. And good that it's grouping so well! ;)

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:22 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
I stick with the lighter rifle rests that move with the recoil. I might have to reset the whole darn thing every shot but I've read where other people have had the same problems with the lead sled and the recoil playing havoc with their scopes or the rifle in general.

http://elby.yolasite.com/ Mosin sight tools

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/blrobinso ... geOffset=2
My fantasy novels and C&R Bound Book

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:43 am 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

mogunner wrote:
I stick with the lighter rifle rests that move with the recoil. I might have to reset the whole darn thing every shot but I've read where other people have had the same problems with the lead sled and the recoil playing havoc with their scopes or the rifle in general.

Ya, you are so right, been lots of folks that have experienced problems associate. I either shoot it empty, or I'll only put 6 or 7 pounds in it. Vortex has been pretty busy with me over the last couple years, due in large part to the effects of sleds. But not all of those were user induced sled damage.

Last year a really good friend of mine shook a Zeiss loose while shooting his 300 WM off a sled.

GS

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:31 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
I used to have a Ruger in 300 Win Mag.
I used to shoot the heck out of that thing!!
Prairie dog hunting even... How smart is that!

My scope moved on it a couple of times - but forward if I remember right...

That 300 mag is when I learned there are 7,000 grains in a pound.
The 1st time I reloaded a 100 rounds for it...

75 grains x 100 rounds = about 93 rounds and your pound of powder is gone!!

But that's for sure the 1st thing to check when a rifle starts shooting way off target -The rings and mounts.

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”
Article VI, Section 24 of the South Dakota Constitution

I sure miss you Amp - (Dean Stephens) - Wish I could have met you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:00 am 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No kidding Jason, powder doesn't stretch very darn far in those large magnum cartridges such as 300 WM. I load for a couple of those big dogs, and the powders and charges I run consume large quantities of powder. I think the last data I worked up to for an elk hunt last year was burning 82 grs., like wow, I had to have at least 2 lbs. just to warm the barrel up, ya know. that's like only 85 rounds or so, bummer.

But ya, back to the trusty Ruger, I've had my share of problems using these lead sleds over the years. one thing I learned early on is, don't shoot high powdered rifles with aluminum rings or bases, they just can't handle the extreme inertia. I broke a set of aluminum rings years ago while trying to get them tight enough to stop the scope from sliding, obviously that didn't go well. Wasn't my rig, and definitely not my mounting hardware, I've never use anything aluminum on a moderately recoiling rifle / cartridge.

I've also rattled a scope or two loose using sleds, erector lens on one of them got dislodged I think. But unless I find it physically necessary, as in the recoil is beyond what my extremely old and damaged shoulder can tolerate, I usually shoot them empty, or with very little weight in them. And aside from how hard they are on the glass, they can also cause some weird stuff to happen on paper. I strap my rifles down keeping the retention directly over the front action screw.

GS

Profile E-mail