It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Another oldie is working on following me home
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 4:20 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
waltham41 wrote:
Actually Jason I just got a NIB Taurus M44 stainless 6 shot 44 magnum with a 4 inch ported barrel, and I have a NIB Rossi R92 blued .454 Casull blued 20 inch barrel is on its way... That takes care of the new gun urge for the month LOL

I don't bother showing off the new stuff like that, I only bring up the ones that I think are really interesting.

I watched the old Steve Martin movies "The Jerk" the other day.

"No more of this OLD wine!!" he said. "Bring us some FRESH wine - some that was made this year!!" :D

Geez... With all those new guns - It looks like you belong in the "Millionaires Club" with Ex and Husker!!

I got that little Beretta Pico - It was the 1st time I bought a gun that wasn't "The Cheapest One They Make"...

And I don't know about you guys and those "Hand-Cannons"!!!
The 44 Mag. has around 1200ft.lbs (non +P++PP+++++P+ ammo)
The .480 Ruger has around 1400 ft. lbs. of energy
The 45/70 1500 ft. lbs (pistol 10" barrel)
The 454 Casull around 1800 ft.lbs.
The .500 S&W around 2500 ft. lbs.
The .460 S&W around 2800 ft. pounds

I can't really imagine we have much "practicality" there...
The .460 S&W weighs just a pound or two more than a 44 Mag.
That just can't be a whole hell of a lot of fun to shoot.

If I was fishing off the river shore in Alaska, I'd probably carry this .460 S&W though:

Even with the shorter barrel - I think it'd have enough power to dispatch "your average bear" or an elephant or small dinosaur...

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”
Article VI, Section 24 of the South Dakota Constitution

I sure miss you Amp - (Dean Stephens) - Wish I could have met you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:47 am 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
A buddy brought out a couple guns he bought a while back.
One was a 454 Casull and the other was a 460
I didn't put many rounds through them, and enjoyed the big boom, but the next day I woke up and thought someone had broke my arm in the night.
My right arm hurt so bad I couldn't lift an empty coffee cup
I had to cook that day too.
After 3 or 4 hours it got some use back in it, and the pain slowly faded, but dog-gone that hurt. :cry:
My neighbor shot a lot more than I did, and he's still having trouble with his wrist.
My buddy that owned the guns has since traded them off.
Maybe we're just wusses :hmmm:

--- Rabbi Shraga Silverstein

Come visit Barker Hill. Homesteading, survival, farming and self reliance.

Photobucket sucks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 9:23 am 
Fanatic
Fanatic

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
The thing that's most impressive about old guns is the lack of tooling and technology gunsmiths had when they produced them. And the guts/stupidity it took. You can bench test it from behind a wall all you want, you still don't know how many rounds it'll fire until it fails. And to shoot it over 100 years later? A friend recently found a Fagnus pistol with a folding trigger in his grandmother's attic. He asked me if he thought it would fire. I replied, "not at my place". Lol Who doesn't love old guns! It's why most of us own a Mosin Nagant.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 3:54 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

+500 on the "it's good in the Alaskan bush" scenario! As soon as I fired the first round out of that Ruger .480, I knew that was it's only practical use!

AND, I don't know where you keep getting this gazillionaire thing about me. I'm like Jed Clampet. "A poor mountaineer barely kep his family fed"!

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 12:17 am 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
Jason I don't know where my next meal is coming from because I spend all of my money on guns! Seriously! I'm addicted to the damn things. I get a rush like a drug gives you when I get a new gun, I play with it a week or two and then it joins the herd, to be replaced with the latest toy. They don't have to be expensive, just interesting.

Husk I don't shoot the big caliber handguns too much, they can be painful but I like to think if I ever have to use one in self defense it will hurt whatever is on the receiving end a whole lot more ;)

George I'm one of them stupid people that shrug my shoulders and go "it will shoot or it will blow up". I'm not gonna live forever and I think I would rather go out with a bang than passing away from cancer or some nasty crap like that..... That's my outlook on life :)

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:17 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

waltham41 wrote:
Jason I don't know where my next meal is coming from because I spend all of my money on guns!

LOL!!
I'm just having some fun with you guys...

Even though I can "somewhat" afford it now - I have a hell of a time spending money on myself!!

Car's and Harley's I justify because it's something that helps the wife be a little more comfortable.
And I AM getting too "stoved up" or crippled to keep the old junk going like I used to.

Even with the Harley we recently bought, I'm having "Buyers Remorse" to the max...
I mentioned to the old lady we could sell it on Cycletrader and probably make money on it.

Her reply: "WTF is wrong with you??"

I was looking at a Kawasaki that was about 1/2 the money and would get us around just as well (if not better!!) than this Harley...

"Aren't you the a-hole that's always saying a Harley holds it's value better??" she said.

I guess she does listen once in a while!! And that is true.
In 5 years the Kawasaki would be worth a couple thousand dollars or less if it has a lot of miles.
Jap bikes aren't usually rebuilt - they're scrapped - by design.
Because they want you to buy another new one.

The Harley will lose value too - just at a much slower rate.
If it has a gazillion miles on it, the factory had a "rebuild your motor" program that returns value to an old Harley.
Providing a guy doesn't neglect and beat the hell out of the rest of it.

And the exact same thing can be said for guns - only more so.
Buy about any gun - especially a used one - and keep it a while and it will appreciate in value.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:02 am 
Fanatic
Fanatic

Walt, I get what you mean by " they don't have to be expensive, just interesting ". I bought a Jukar Trapper pistol a couple years ago. It took a little work to get it running but it was the best $20 I ever spent. It takes a little time to load and it's not accurate.... Not even a little. But, everybody loves to shoot it. As far as the stupid comment? I use to tell my boys " the only difference between brave and stupid is the outcome." All I see here is brave. If your screen name changes to Lefty, I'll likely change my opinion. Could be where the term "offhand" came from.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:33 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

George Taylor wrote:
If your screen name changes to Lefty, I'll likely change my opinion. Could be where the term "offhand" came from.

:hmmm: :thinkin: :shock:
:funny: :roflol: :laugh: :intello: :funny: :mrgreen: :roflol: :hehlol: :laugh:
:good one:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:56 am 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

George Taylor wrote:
If your screen name changes to Lefty, I'll likely change my opinion. Could be where the term "offhand" came from.
:good one: :stupid:

Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:35 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Got the rifle today, holy crap it needed cleaning! But it is in excellent condition for a 150+ year old gun... the bore even shines!!!!

It has one small screw that is broken but it is non essential, and the spoon spring that helps hold the ramrod in is missing and they are both available on the net. This gun is actually in better shape than the springfield trapdoor.... the ammo should be here thurs or Friday he said so hopefully I will be shooting it this weekend....

Want an opinion from you guys that reload... this is an older model of this rifle that is made of iron not steel. would you guys stick with black powder or would you try to come up with a low pressure smokeless powder charge using shotgun powder or something else slow burning?

Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

ImageImage

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:33 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
I think I'd stick with black powder.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:06 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

I'm with what he said^^^^ iron has a low stress point, it's not the speed of burn as EX would say its the speed at which pressure builds. Much more pressure spike in smokeless than blackpowder. Consider the size of charge too, it takes much more blackpowder per caliber size than it does smokeless. My .50's use 90 grains (by volume not weight)...how much smokeless, even shot loads would would that equal (I have never loaded shot shells). The gun was designed as a black powder, prolly best to keep it that way.

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:15 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

FWIW- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snider%E2%80%93Enfield its from wikipedia, take it with a grain or a pound of salt...

The British .577 Snider–Enfield was a breech-loading rifle. The American Jacob Snider invented the firearm action, and the Snider–Enfield was one of the most widely used of the Snider varieties. The British Army adopted it in 1866 as a conversion system for its ubiquitous Pattern 1853 Enfield muzzle-loading rifles, and used it until 1874 when the Martini–Henry rifle began to supersede it. The British Indian Army used the Snider–Enfield until the end of the nineteenth century.

Contents

1 Design and manufacture
2 Service
3 Variants
4 Use today
5 See also
6 References
7 External links

Design and manufacture
(From Left to Right): A .577 Snider cartridge, a Zulu War–era rolled brass foil .577/450 Martini–Henry Cartridge, a later drawn brass .577/450 Martini–Henry cartridge, and a .303 British Mk VII SAA Ball cartridge.

In trials, the Snider Pattern 1853 conversions proved both more accurate than original Pattern 1853s and much faster firing; a trained soldier could fire ten aimed rounds per minute with the breech-loader, compared with only three rounds per minute with the muzzle-loading weapon. From 1866 onwards, the Enfield rifles were converted in large numbers at the Royal Small Arms Factory (RSAF) Enfield beginning with the initial pattern, the Mark I. The converted rifles received a new breechblock/receiver assembly, but retained the original iron barrel, furniture, lock, and hammer.

The Mark III rifles were newly made. They featured steel barrels which were so marked, flat nosed hammers, and a latch-locking breech block instead of the simple integral block lifting tang.

The Snider–Enfield used a new type of metal-cased cartridge called a Boxer cartridge after its designer. The breech block housed a diagonally downward sloping firing pin struck with a front-action lock mounted hammer. To operate the weapon, the rifleman cocked the hammer, flipped the block out of the receiver to the right by grasping the left mounted breech block lever, and then pulled the block back to extract the spent case. There was no ejector, so the firer lifted the case out or, more usually, turned the rifle upside-down to allow the case to drop out. (Perhaps even more usually, the firer then shook the weapon vigorously to dislodge hot cartridges or those fouled by dust or grime.)
Service
Snider breech-loading mechanism.

The Snider first saw action with the British/Indian Army at the battle of Magdala (Aroghee) in Ethiopia on 10 April 1868, against the forces of Tewodros II of Ethiopia; during the battle the 4th (King's Own) Regiment of Foot alone fired 10,200 rounds.[3] The Snider–Enfield served throughout the British Empire, including Cape Colony, India, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada, until its gradual phaseout by the Martini–Henry, beginning in 1874. Volunteer and militia forces continued to use it until the late 1880s. It stayed in service with the Indian Army until the mid-1890s, because between the Indian Rebellion of 1857 and 1905 the British kept the Indian Army one weapon generation behind British units. The Indian units received the Martini–Henry when the British adopted the Lee–Metford. The Ijeshas used large numbers of Snider–Enfields against Ibadan during the 16-year-long Yoruba Civil War (1877 to 1893).

Frank Richards, who served on the Northwest Frontier between 1902 and 1908, records in Old Soldier Sahib that the British army still used Sniders during that period. Sentries on night duty in camps and cantonments would carry a Snider and buckshot cartridges. Should tribesmen try to get into the camp to steal rifles, the buckshot would give the sentries a better chance of hitting the thief, and unlike a .303 round, would be less likely to wound or kill a comrade should the sentry miss.

The Snider was notably powerful. Rudyard Kipling recorded in his poem, "The Grave of the Hundred Head":

A Snider squibbed in the jungle—
Somebody laughed and fled,
And the men of the First Shikaris
Picked up their Subaltern dead,
With a big blue mark in his forehead
And the back blown out of his head.

Variants
A Snider rifle used in Japan during the Boshin war (1868–69).
Snider Mk II*

The Snider–Enfield was produced in several variants. The most commonly encountered variants were the Rifled Musket or Long Rifle, the Short Rifle, and the Cavalry and Artillery Carbines. The Long Rifle has a 36.5 inches (93 cm) barrel and three barrel bands. Its total length (without bayonet) is 54.25 inches (137.8 cm) in length, longer than most rifles of the time. It was issued to line infantry and has three-groove rifling with one turn in 78 inches (200 cm). The Short Rifle has a 30.5 inches (77 cm) barrel and two barrel bands with iron furniture. This variant was issued to sergeants of line infantry and rifle units. It has five-groove rifling with one turn in 48 inches (120 cm). The Cavalry Carbine is half stocked and has only one barrel band. It has a 19.5 inches (50 cm) barrel, with the same rifling as the Short Rifle. The Artillery Carbine has a 21.25 inches (54.0 cm) barrel with a full stock and two barrel bands, and the same rifling as the Short Rifle and Cavalry Carbine.

The Snider was the subject of substantial imitation, in both approved and questionable forms, including the Nepalese Snider, which was a nearly exact copy, the Dutch Snider, Danish Naval Snider, and the "unauthorised" adaptations of the French Tabatière and Russian Krnka.

There were also "Trade Pattern" Snider–Enfields, being Snider–Enfields made for private purchase by various English gun-makers. These were often intended for sale to members of volunteer military units, or simply to anyone who might wish to purchase a rifle.
Use today

Enthusiasts still use these rifles today, with the number in circulation boosted by the acquisition by Atlanta Cutlery and International Military Antiques of a vast quantity of antique weapons held in the Royal Nepalese Armory in the Lagan Silekhana Palace for over a century. Ammunition is reloaded into either modern production .577 Snider cases, or reformed 24 gauge brass shotgun shells. Black powder or modern black powder substitutes are used.[

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:38 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

I guess I'm gonna stick with black powder... the previous owner told me that he shot it a few times with 80g of FF and it rattled his brain.. he said his usual load was 60g of FF behind a .595 lead ball. He sent me 30 loaded rounds and enough of everything except powder to make another 30rds.

He was using cut down plastic hull 24 gauge shotgun shells and I will probably stay that route. I can make snider brass out of 24 gauge brass shotgun shells too, but would have to buy the 90 buck lee dies for .577 snider.

I have a mold for a .580 minne ball and I am going to see if I can make a load up and shoot the minne balls out of it. They should fit fine in the shotgun shell cases.

Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

ImageImage

Profile E-mail