Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Before I build it . . .
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:04 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
. . . I'd like to hear what, if any experience you folks have had with a Mosin-Nagant and the Archangel stock. I've read a lot of good things, and then I've read a lot of bad things (like the magazine tends to fall out). Figured rather than go through a bunch of stuff on the net that may or may not be true any longer, I'd get the story from you guys.

Last edited by rmuniz9336 on Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Before I build it . . .
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:49 am 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
The nice thing is you can put the gun in the stock and if you don't like it you can put the gun back in the factory stock.. no alterations to the rifle.

As far as the mag falling out, I'm sure if that is true there is something a person can do to fix it, there is a workaround for most any problem its just a matter of figuring it out.

The fact that it gives the rifle a cool looking pistol grip style stock and removable mags is worth the cost to me.

I have one in an archangel stock but to be honest I have never fired it... I have so many guns that I have never fired its a shame really LOL

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:40 am 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
I am still living in the past. I will probably never own an Archangel stock unless someone leaves one lying by the side of the road in my front yard.

The Archangel stock costs more than I paid for all the MN rifles I own.

And having one ten round magazine for a rifle is not a big deal to me. I can reload from the top faster than I can change mags.

As for cool looks??? It is a MN so we are talking lipstick on a pig.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:33 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
My nephew had one and likes it but I've never shot it.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:03 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

Early offerings were prone to dropping the mag when fired, I have no idea if they got that problem taken care of.

Mine are still in their original stocks, they'll never be tack-drivers so no real reason to pour $$$ into them. I went and bought a Remington 783 in .308 for $335 with a $40 factory rebate, came with a scope, floated heavy barrel, adjustable trigger and closed-cell butt pad. Much more accurate than the Mosin ever will be.

http://elby.yolasite.com/ Mosin sight tools

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/blrobinso ... geOffset=2
My fantasy novels and C&R Bound Book

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:29 am 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
waltham41 wrote:

I have one in an archangel stock but to be honest I have never fired it... I have so many guns that I have never fired its a shame really LOL

That is a shame.
I have a few I've never shot, mostly because I'm unsure about the safety of shooting them. :scared:
I have an old single shot shotgun that's been cut off to just legal length, but when you pull the hammer back, a good knock on the stock will drop the hammer, so I've never had a shell in it.
Most of the guns I won't shoot have similar problems, or are just so old I don't trust them.
As far as the OP, the Archangel stock looks cool but I like the history and the looks of my old Mosins.
The scars and repairs on those old guns tell a story.

--- Rabbi Shraga Silverstein

Come visit Barker Hill. Homesteading, survival, farming and self reliance.

Photobucket sucks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:20 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
Not having owned or shot a Mosin, what is the lesser accuracy due to? Barrel condition or simply original design compared to todays?

mogunner wrote:
Early offerings were prone to dropping the mag when fired, I have no idea if they got that problem taken care of.

Mine are still in their original stocks, they'll never be tack-drivers so no real reason to pour $$$ into them. I went and bought a Remington 783 in .308 for $335 with a $40 factory rebate, came with a scope, floated heavy barrel, adjustable trigger and closed-cell butt pad. Much more accurate than the Mosin ever will be.

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:08 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
Actually they are a reasonably accurate rifle. Ape, who used to be a mod here, his wife hits a 18 inch gong at 600 yds with open sights with hers and as far as I know she uses surplus ammo.. Ive seen the videos he has posted of her doing it.

Ex the nice thing about the archangel stock is that it is not a permanent mod to the gun. In fact, if you have a really nice stock you will be preserving it by not shooting the rifle with the wood stock on it. I have a couple of stocks that were not refurbed and have the original bold stampings on them and I would cry if one got damaged by accident at the range.

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:50 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

Ex_ISP wrote:
Not having owned or shot a Mosin, what is the lesser accuracy due to? Barrel condition or simply original design compared to todays?

mogunner wrote:

First off, you're talking about 17 million+, from it's inception in 1891 till production ceased. You'll find some that are very accurate, especially the sniper rifles and ex-snipers, as these were chosen due to their exceptional accuracy. But you'll run into all sorts of bore conditions, from shiny, to frosted to pitted, and all shooting a wide variation of accuracy. I kept two of mine that were exceptional shooters but they're limited by my own ability to see the open sights, I'm sure they would perform much better with someone who has better eyesight!

Some shoot surplus great, others not so much. Handloads, of course, will give you your best accuracy as always especially if you slug the bore and match your bullets to that size. Bores can run from .308 to .312 from what I've seen from those who load for theirs. Many suffer from muzzle wear due to the steel cleaning rods, you'll find some that were counter-bored to basically drill out the worn out rifling at the end.

The design of the rifle was to hit a man-sized target at 300 meters, if it could do that it was considered a success.

http://elby.yolasite.com/ Mosin sight tools

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/blrobinso ... geOffset=2
My fantasy novels and C&R Bound Book

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website

Profile E-mail