Hipointtalk.net

Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: AR build advice.....Showing some progress
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:27 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
OK guys, as some of you know, I bought an AR stripped lower from our friend Jason.
I was just now looking around the internet for other parts I will need, and realized I really don't know what I want.
There's a zillion barrels, uppers, complete uppers, barreled uppers, barrels, BCGs, LPKs and there's a thousand choices for each.
:huh:
I could use some advice.
Thanks in advance

--- Rabbi Shraga Silverstein

Come visit Barker Hill. Homesteading, survival, farming and self reliance.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: AR build advice
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:01 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
First thing is deciding what you want it's intended use to be. That will set you up to decide what length of barrel, twist rate, etc. I stick with the 1:8 twist barrels from Anderson, they've done me fantastic for all bullet weights from 55 through 75 under 200 yards, haven't had an opportunity to shoot them any farther than that.

Caliber will also be one of the first choices you have to make. I stick with the old tried and true 5.56 chamber just due to cost, reliability and availability of ammo.

Your LPK is kind of a tossup to me, I've had name brands that were atrocious and cheap ones that were about as good as a single stage trigger can be. If money wasn't a big concern I would simply get an Anderson parts kit without the fire group and put one of the many great aftermarket triggers in it.

I have to admit that I have grown partial to the 5.56/.33AAC BCG's that AIM Surplus is having made for them, the last one I finally sprung for a NiB one and really like it, but then I also haven't had a lick of problem with any of the several inexpensive ones that they offer, when in stock.

I'm a cheap guy, I will admit. I buy the free-float quad rails because I have a site I buy them from for less than you can get one off ebay. They work, they ventilate freely, they don't put pressure one the barrel and you can fasten whatever sort of add-on's that you might want to it.

You probably will want to upgrade the A2 pistol grip that comes with most LPK's, I've used several different ones and really like the ATI Scorpion one. I've used assorted Magpul and ebay ones, they all work, it comes down to a personal preference, which is why I think all of us have a box or two full of extra parts lol.

I like the extended takedown pins, I don't like the BAD lever's, ambidextrous safety's are nice but not really necessary. I use aluminum 45 degree offset sights on everything that gets scoped or a red dot, they are tough and adjustable and only run around $25.

I like the Rogers SuperStok as far as adjustable stocks go simply because of the camlock that tightens it down tight once you set the position and stops the annoying rattle that most adjustable stocks have.

http://elby.yolasite.com/ Mosin sight tools

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/blrobinso ... geOffset=2
My fantasy novels and C&R Bound Book

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:37 am 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
All in all I would suggest that you buy a standard M4 upper, assemble the rifle and shoot about 1k through it before deciding what upgrades you desire.

Most of the upgrades can be added directly to the existing upper, unless you want more/less barrel or some specialized unit.

I have one upper that is built as a CMP competition rifle and another for woods bumming and plinking.

Nice thing about the AR platform is its instant versatility.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:48 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

I've only built two ARs. Both had Anderson lower parts kits, one wouldn't reset right but a little work with some stones and some polishing and it was perfect.

The other got polished and a set of JP Enterprises enhanced reliability hammer and trigger springs and has a great 4.5# trigger.

Anderson makes a good barrel at a good price. I've shot my 16" and 24", both 1:8 twist, out to 300 yards with good accuracy.

Anderson and Aero Precision uppers, no problems.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:54 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

As you know I'm doing my first build too. Get parts soon they getting scarce... :scared:

I went with a 7.62x39 dedicated barrel (meaning engineered by copying the AK chamber) We'll see how that goes.

Everything I've read indicates that an adjustable gas block will likely be useful so i went ahead and bought one one the other night, a clamp on type since the barrel I bought was not dimpled for the set screw type.

Might want to call whoever is selling the hand guards and find how they are measured, I still don't know. The one I bought was supposed to 15.5" which technically would (should) have just covered a flash hiders thread area. Turns out it's 17" overall length which will hide the entire flash hider. I did not return it but I will sell it for the price I paid for it on sale ($79.95 +S&H). Otherwise I'll keep it and build a 20" barreled upper in some unspecified caliber.

I bought the least expensive Nitrided BCG I could find. (I could find-) don't get carried away, while looking I came across about three dozen small shops nobody has ever heard of. Most were custom AR builders and had tacticool friendly fare.

So as of today I believe I have erred only once with the hand guard...time will tell. I think I everything but magazines and a charging handle as of when the rest of my parts get here in the coming seven days or so.

My advice- buy what you like, if you shoot long yardage buy long barrel, don't count beans, just get what you like but that doesn't necessarily mean the most expensive of everything. :dunno: Unless you want to. :yes2: My build is going well over $500 already. However, I can't really even tell you what the brands are I've bought so far. Just things I found, had good reviews, or simply suited my fancy. :dunno: No rhyme or reason for my build, all I shoot is dirt. :LOL: That waskawy diwt is not too hard to miss although I've been known too at times. :whistle: The vast majority of my parts are phosphate coated externally BTW, only the hand guard and BCG are not. Maybe if I actually like shooting it I'll think of going artsy on the next one...

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:11 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
There ya go husk, I think the above is about the best advice you are going to get anywhere on the net. Like the guys said, it all depends on what you want/expect out of the gun to begin with.

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:31 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

What's a good price and place to buy a barreled upper?
That seems to be the expensive part
I'm about to pull the trigger on this one
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-m ... 43632.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:42 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Looks like a decent set to me. I'd get it if I had the cash.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:09 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

srtolly wrote:
Looks like a decent set to me. I'd get it if I had the cash.

Well, I was gonna pull the trigger but by the time I got back to it, it was out of stock. :(
I ordered this one instead for the same price.
I think this is it :|
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-m ... andle.html

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:05 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

That'll work fine as a starter to see how you like the platform. Anything that you don't like can be changed. The midlength gas system supposedly gives you a milder recoil, I built a couple but didn't see anything noticeable about it differing from the carbine gas system. Maybe parts wear in 10k rounds, I dunno...

http://elby.yolasite.com/ Mosin sight tools

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/blrobinso ... geOffset=2
My fantasy novels and C&R Bound Book

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:14 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

That'll do.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:39 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

It looks like an awesome starting point, or final point if you have the restraint. And as Mo says, the 1/8 twist seems to be the compromise barrel or do-all barrel, however you want to look at it.

Charging handles have me reeling, do I go with a $15 one or a hundred dollar one? I wish I knew someone in the Iowa National guard that could get me a true military M16 one. Or maybe not. :dunno:

This is the BCG I ordered, from a gun store I've never heard of, it shipped today, apparently one of the last ones they had, now sold out. https://sunnystateoutdoors.com/collections/featured-items/products/aim-7-62x39-nitride-bolt-carrier-group-mpi

This will finish out my forward barrel less the hand guard
http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JBO_Stainless_Steel_Gas_Tube_p/jb-gastube.htm?1=1&CartID=0
http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JP_Adjustable_Gas_System_for_AR_type_rifles_JPGS_5_p/jp-gs-5b.htm
And just so's I could get free shipping I needed about $4 more so I added this in black
http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Armaspec_Enhanced_Combat_Button_p/arma-ecb.htm?1=1&CartID=0

As I said, gotta hurry, the parts are selling fast. When they come back they will either be illegal or much more expensive.

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:24 am 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Randy, you are right about that, parts are vanishing fast.
I got an upper just in the nick of time, what they have left are starting to be the more expensive ones.
It will be a few weeks before I buy a BCG, I hope there will be some good ones left

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:51 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

I need an too and a bunch of other parts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:35 am 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Opinions on BCG?
I have my eye on a Nickle Boron coated assembly because I think it'll go well with the stainless barrel

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next