Hipointtalk.net

Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: New thread, old subject - NOW WITH PICTURES!!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:41 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
Now on to the red dot impressions...weird covers it. :shock:

Never used something like this. Bushnell had high ratings, I don't see why. Unless the impression of quality has fallen WAY farther than even I believe it has. :neutral:
Nevertheless, there are attributes of this sight that make it capable of being good. But capability notwithstanding it didn't reach that level in my eyes. The machine work externally is good and it does turn on, it does have 5 different illumination levels, it does have 5 different reticles to choose from. :thumb: Now for my initial impressions about all that with the understanding that it has not been used during live fire yet.

First the really bad impression;
The 5 reticles seem to be on an internal turret and turn along with the external drum. OK, makes sense. However, the detent's holding the drum with the reticle centered in the bore is mushy and extremely imprecise. :cry: No way this sight will be able to keep zero! I keep thinking it was ONLY a $40 sight but then I remember that it was on sale at a discount, it is normally sold for about $100 or slightly less. Still inexpensive in comparison to some others I guess. :hmmm: It should still be better than this however. The mushy feel has be a QC defect (I hope). Or it is a factory second and not advertised as such (typical dishonest ebay crap seller I suppose). For forty bucks (or $100 MSRP) it makes it hard to decide whether spending another $15-20 for postage to send it back to Bushnell is even worth it. :dunno: I can take the drum apart myself to see if it is simply trash in the detent holes keeping it from engaging solidly. Or maybe figure out if the way it holds position is even fixable here at home. It is nitrogen filled, but I would not expect the detents to be inside with that nitrogen. Anyway, I assume that it is nitrogen filled, at the least it says waterproof/fogproof. :dunno:

The second impression is the reticle clarity has something to be desired. Flare happens at all illumination levels. Envision looking at Saturn through a telescope and seeing the planetary rings on edge around the main body. That kind of flare. The dots are the worst. The cross hairs do it too but since the horizontal line just extends the horizontal line it is not as aggravating. Might just be something to get used to. :hmmm:

Third impression was that when I mounted it and turned it on I found the initial setting was far off to one side and low. Although I have no way to know if that is centered, it likely is not. It took over three full turns of the windage dial to get the cross hairs more or less centered above the centerline of the upper rail. I guess I'm gonna have to get a laser boresight. I mentioned I was awful at mounting scopes though didn't I? So take the previous with a grain of salt. I at least think I got the thing on right side up! I KNOW I didn't mount it sideways... :whistle:

That has GOT to be the WORST picture I have ever taken!!!

Impression four- the optics in this sight are like looking through a goldfish bowl. Normal, not normal, I don't know. :dunno:

Overall, if it was sold at the asking price of near $100 I would be EXTREMELY disappointed! At less than half of MSRP, and actually less than normal price point, I can deal with it. I will be contacting Bushnell to discuss it however. I do not hold out much hope for satisfaction; yet that will be seen. :neutral: Satisfaction would be postage paid both ways for them to inspect it/fix it/replace it, whatever it needs. :funny: :funny: :funny: It's Christmas, I'm feeling optimistic!

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:59 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
I recently bought a Bushnell scope on eBay. I liked what received and it seems to hold zero on my .308 but I've only taken it out to break in the barrel.

I did find out that there are a lot of fake Bushnell scopes coming from China with less than stellar quality. I'm pretty sure this is one of them.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New thread, old subject - NOW WITH PICTURES!!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:01 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
I was skeptical at first about this unit in the sellers pictures, it had no marks on the body of the unit. But when I got it it came in a childproof type hard plastic shell that appeared unopened. The cardboard insert said it was from China but that was to be expected, what isn't from China if it costs less than $200? overall the thing looks good. Machine work seems good too at least for the sunshade threads and polarizing cap threads. The only problem is the turret that spins the reticles. The more I've been working it the better it seems to be getting though, the roughness and trashy mushy feel are slowly disappearing. I decided against opening it up myself since it's purged with nitrogen. :dunno: I wrote to Bushnell and I'm awaiting a reply.

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail