Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Was I out of line?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:39 pm 
Collector
Collector

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
The last time I went to the range there was a young (20 something) dipshit in there that kept carrying his AR15 around by the handle on top of the receiver. Thenduring a re load break I caught him texting with the rifle pointing at the other shooters. I shot him my best WTF look and he kinda snapped out of his cell phone daze and put the rifle down to finish texting. 5 minutes later I caught him doing it again so I took the 3 steps required to close the gap and told him in a very calm but firm tone of voice "If I catch you pointing that rifle at me or my wife again I will take it away from you."
He apologized and left the range very shortly thereafter.
How could I have handled this situation better? I wasn't trying to be an asshole but I was tired of his careless endangering of the other people on the firing line.
What is the proper way to handle this sort of situation?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Was I out of line?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:46 pm 
Guru
Guru

Favorite Hi-Point: CF380
My advise to you when near strangers with loaded guns is dont mess with or talk to anyone that isnt friendly its a good way to get shot. As you have no idea who is next to you or what mental state they are in. Best thing to do is contact range master and he will be removed...the outdoor range I go to has 2 loaded AR15s and an 870 with in reach of the range master at all times. Have seen them grab the AR and ask at least 2 people to leave.

The guy in the lane next to me was crying that my 308 was too loud and was tossing brass at him, I suggested he wait until I fired a mag then id do the same for him. He still caused problems I simply stood up and put both my hands in the air to get the attention of the range master and the guy was removed because he entered my lane as I was shooting

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:19 am 
Collector
Collector

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
I don't even know if H&H has a range master being a high volume indoor range with surprisingly low supervision. But I think the advice is sound and surely somebody from the range would have dealt with him using more diplomacy than I did. I really was pretty angry and I'm generally pretty confident I can handle most confrontations if it gets physical but I'm not 20 yrs old anymore and taking a ass whipping really sucks.
I think ill just drive the extra half hour and go to an outdoor range just outside of town.
H&H also puts rifles in the lane right next to pistol shooters and just the noise and percussion from a 308 right next to me is enough to make me flinch a little and it really disturbs my sweet little wife. At least being outdoors I can feel free to move away if I need to. Rifles indoors are extremely FN loud! Why would anyone want to play with a 308 at 20yards anyway. Makes no sense to me but whatever.
Maybe it was the 95° temp on the line coupled with the noise and crowd that just helped me lose what was left of my temper, but seriously pointing a rifle carelessly in an environment like that should be enough to justify a good verbal assault if not an outright boot in the arses.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:18 am 
Guru
Guru

Thought you were talking about outdoor range sorry, with indoor range I always keep a loaded handgun holstered with me ready at all times. You never know who is next to you. Either way try and avoid confrontation with anyone who has access to a firearm especially one you doesnt respect them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:48 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
We rarely go to an indoor range because it costs money and they only allow pistol rounds.
We go to an outdoor range mostly, it's free but has no range master, which is good because most of these guys know how to conduct themselves. I can maybe count on 1 hand times when I saw someone pointing his weapon in an unsafe direction, and I believe it was the same old man and his scoped .357 Mag pistol.
I think what you did wasn't out of line being that he didn't learn the first time he did it.

Fill your hands, you son of a bitch! - Rooster Cogburn
Revenge is a meal best served cold!
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer!
I wouldn't be so paranoid, if everyone wasn't out to get me!
Officially a friend of a sadistic dirty old man. Lol.
It's always raining in my head. - Staind
Killing Is My Business, And Business Is Good! - Dave Mustane. - Megadeth.
http://www.military.com/video/operation ... 618611001/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:11 am 
Guru
Guru

Kinda wish we had a free open range my local one is nice but they charge $15 per person and $5 per firearm thats just too much but is nice 7yd-200yd with shotgun area as well.

A lot of old guys there man do they get pissed when I borrow my buddies Vector Arms PTR-91P my god is that thing loud I swear it tosses fire a good 10 feet out of the barrel. A 308 pistol is beyond stupid but man is it fun.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:51 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
Indoor range? Range master? You guys slaves or what? We don't have either of those things around here. At least not that I'm aware of, Verkalak may know of one. :hmmm:

I've never in my life shot at a true indoor range. I shot with MNbubba up at his favorite range and it was semi-indoors, it was well covered, and on the rifle lanes you shot though a sewer pipe. That whole experience was new to me. No range overseer massa there the day we was there massa. :funny: I don't think I could relax knowing someone was studying my every move. That's worse than big brother. I was in the military, I know the rules of the range (or what used to pass as the rules on the range) but I'm not anal about them and I know a few of you wouldn't want to shoot with me as a result. I'm good with that. Like anything that's fun in life, risks are part of it. They need to be tempered with common sense and attention however.

CBR, As for what you said about not confronting people with guns, that's my attitude as well. My wife on the other hand doesn't give a shit whether someone has a gun aimed her she's still going to be confrontational. Especially with hunters. She chases them down the road screaming like a banshee when they do the slightest thing wrong within eyesight. I keep telling her that if she wants to keep on doing that she really needs to bring more than her mouth to the gunfight. She's going for her CCW later this fall. :thumb:

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:55 am 
Passerby
Passerby

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP

Last edited by PPatrice on Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:38 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
I would have asked if they knew what the term "sweeping" means, then since they would probably have replied no, I would have nicely explained it and the dangers it presents.

I've shot at an indoor range once, for my CCW qualification. Other than that it's been military ranges or where we shoot now, out on my buddy's 16 acres of heavily wooded land in the boonies. The wife and I are currently in the planning (and saving) stage of buying 15-20 acres of our own to live on, hopefully by this time next year I'll be shooting in the back yard.

http://elby.yolasite.com/ Mosin sight tools

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/blrobinso ... geOffset=2
My fantasy novels and C&R Bound Book

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website

Profile E-mail