Hipointtalk.net
http://hipointtalk.net/

Took my girls to the range.
http://hipointtalk.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=15795
Page 1 of 2

Author:  trkkshotbry [ Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Took my girls to the range.

My girls went shooting with me last weekend.
The youngest is 5 and my hig girl is 11. We were shooting at a friends hous on his private range and he came home just about the things me we were getting ready to fire our first shots. He looked at my 5 yr old settling in behind her 22 and asked if she was old enough to be shooting without a grownup within armsreach. I was just about to answer when she rattled off 10 rnds fast enough to keep his little 2" steel spinner whizzing like a proppeller at 25yds and
when her rifle was empty she announced reloading and looked both ways before couching her rifle to drop 10 more down the tube.
My buddy just kinda stared and finally said "She shoots better than my 9yr old."
I smiled my best proud daddy smile and told him her big sister is even better.
Later we shot an impromptu match and I barely squeaked past my 5yr old by 3 points and my 11yr old outscored me by 5 and my buddy by 2 with a 10 shot group centered over the bullseye that measured 312 Thousandths of an inch center to center.

To be honest we let the 5yr old shoot from a rest but my 11yr old just plain outshot the two grown men in their 40s. We blamed it on oir old eyes. My daughters were proud and rightfully so.
Their performance that day got me talking about Annie Oakley and now my oldest wants to try a shot over her shoulder sighting with a mirror. I'm betting she can do it.
Anybody know how to get started as an exhibition shooter? If anybody I know has the talent its my Brook.

Author:  Ex_ISP [ Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Took my girls to the range.

Sounds like a great day for all! It's nice when the young ones take an interest.

Author:  waltham41 [ Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Took my girls to the range.

trkkshotbry wrote:

Anybody know how to get started as an exhibition shooter? If anybody I know has the talent its my Brook.


In this day and age, I would suggest getting her started and work up some trick shots, then start putting up youtube vids and let the internet spread her skills. If she gets good enough and popular enough, surely the right person will hear about it from someone who saw a video

Good luck!

Author:  trkkshotbry [ Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Took my girls to the range.

Excellent idea. She's a pretty little blonde and the camera just loves her.
Just need to bedazzle her a pair of safety glasses and film her doing her thing.
Ill let ya know if she wants to do a video or two.

Author:  Ex_ISP [ Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Took my girls to the range.

Would love to she her shoot and the results!!! Hope she shames us all!!!
:great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great:

Author:  trkkshotbry [ Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Took my girls to the range.

Inside of 25yds she just might. She's got good eyes and great basics. I've seen her knock out some really small groups.
She's been shooting a Stephens model 87A and doing well but that rifle was built in 1936. I just traded for a Ruger 10/22 for her to use so we'll see how she likes a lighter more modern rifle.

Author:  jasonsch [ Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:09 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Took my girls to the range.

Love hearing about your girls!! I have 3 daughters and I wish I would have spent some "range time" with them when they were young. I am now that they are grown and soon all 3 will have their pistol permits.
Keep up the good work! I like the youtube idea... Even if you show them just doing a little target shooting, that would be cool!! The best part would be the comments from the uniformed - I can just hear it now - "How can you let those little girls play with guns??" If you get one posted, make sure to let us know!! Would love to see it!! :great: :D

Author:  trkkshotbry [ Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Took my girls to the range.

You bet. Were moving this weekend and busy as heck but I'd et she will love the idea and we will post one soon.

Author:  Thegrossmaster [ Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Took my girls to the range.

Good for you! Curious, at what age did they take their first shot? My boy's 2 but I think he's a bit young still :)
Shooting, martial arts, hockey, and carting are things I want to get him started in as soon as possible.... just to find out if I have a prodigy on my hands that'll make daddy rich some day :)

Author:  trkkshotbry [ Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:05 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Took my girls to the range.

They all took their first shot with a bb gun about age 4. By age 5 they were shooting 22s from a rest.
Kids will progress at their own rate in shooting just like anything else. My boy took a cpl shots with my 1911 at 8, while my daughter had no interest in anything bigger than a 22 until she was 11.
Good luck, God speed and I wish my dad had wanted to start me off in motorcycle racing as a kid.

Author:  Randy [ Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Took my girls to the range.

:shock: Are kids actually allowed to do anything they might get hurt at these days? I thought the MADD gang pretty much put the kibosh on any type of fun for kids that presented even the most minimal risk, like tether ball, hopscotch, and sidewalk chalk art (ya know that chalk dust is so very bad for the environment!) Just the thought that some parents would allow their children to be within a mile of one of those nasty motorcycles, go-carts, or firearms would probably drive them to drink (and drive :lol: ) .

Seriously, good for you, those activities are what we used to consider the school of hard knocks. It's amazing there is anyone over the age of forty in this country because we didn't have to wear a full body suit of armor to go ride our bicycles or skateboards, much less our mini-bikes or, or, (heaven forbid!) our three wheelers or dirt bikes. There was no false of security because we knew if we fell over we were going to feel pain and pain is a good motivator to not fall over twice. :thumb: Competition is outside the realm of this discussion however. I'm talking pure recreational activities. It taught most of use that we needed to get back on the horse that just kicked our ass. I believe that in itself is a character builder. It separates the strong willed kids from the effeminate kids.

Author:  Thegrossmaster [ Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Took my girls to the range.

Randy wrote:
:shock: ...we fell over we were going to feel pain and pain is a good motivator to not fall over twice...:thumb: ...taught most of use that we needed to get back on the horse that just kicked our ass. I believe that in itself is a character builder. It separates the strong willed kids from the effeminate kids.

Yeah I could not agree more! and an effeminate boy is the last thing Im trying to raise. Like I said, my boy's 2 and he's at the stage where he likes to run around and explore the world, so he's bound to wipe out every now and then. Mommy likes to pick him up and comfort him the second he hits the ground, but I told her if she keeps doing that, he's never gonna learn to get up himself, and will cry for mommy over every little thing the rest of his life. So now he doesn't even cry after a tumble, what he does do is check his hands and legs for scrapes (it's soo adorable) and keeps on going.

It's just that by doing so, a lot of times in the eyes of others, you're being reckless or an irresponsible parent. Even his grandparents feel that im being a bad parent when they see him with scrapes and bruises on his knees and hands. I think a little boy looks perfectly fine that way!

Now get this... I was actually just shopping at Costco, and we stock up every other week, so we spend a fair amount of time when we're there. Anyways, we get into the meat section which was pretty busy at the time, and my son started to get restless so I let him out of the cart to walk with us. Then we walk by this older lady and she looks at me and says, "you know you shouldn't do that, it's very dangerous", referring to my son walking by himself. It totally surprised me and I didn't know what to say, so we just kept walking. For a minute, it actually had me doubting myself and my judgement as a parent. But then I thought, no, F that! I mean it's not like I'm letting him run around the parking lot, it was just some shopping carts being pushed around us for gosh sake!

Author:  Randy [ Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Took my girls to the range.

Thegrossmaster wrote:
Randy wrote:
:shock: ...we fell over we were going to feel pain and pain is a good motivator to not fall over twice...:thumb: ...taught most of use that we needed to get back on the horse that just kicked our ass. I believe that in itself is a character builder. It separates the strong willed kids from the effeminate kids.

Yeah I could not agree more! and an effeminate boy is the last thing Im trying to raise. Like I said, my boy's 2 and he's at the stage where he likes to run around and explore the world, so he's bound to wipe out every now and then. Mommy likes to pick him up and comfort him the second he hits the ground, but I told her if she keeps doing that, he's never gonna learn to get up himself, and will cry for mommy over every little thing the rest of his life. So now he doesn't even cry after a tumble, what he does do is check his hands and legs for scrapes (it's soo adorable) and keeps on going.

It's just that by doing so, a lot of times in the eyes of others, you're being reckless or an irresponsible parent. Even his grandparents feel that im being a bad parent when they see him with scrapes and bruises on his knees and hands. I think a little boy looks perfectly fine that way!

Now get this... I was actually just shopping at Costco, and we stock up every other week, so we spend a fair amount of time when we're there. Anyways, we get into the meat section which was pretty busy at the time, and my son started to get restless so I let him out of the cart to walk with us. Then we walk by this older lady and she looks at me and says, "you know you shouldn't do that, it's very dangerous", referring to my son walking by himself. It totally surprised me and I didn't know what to say, so we just kept walking. For a minute, it actually had me doubting myself and my judgement as a parent. But then I thought, no, F that! I mean it's not like I'm letting him run around the parking lot, it was just some shopping carts being pushed around us for gosh sake!


Well, maybe that's not what she meant. Maybe she meant walking by himself period. Way back in the 80's before all this PC crap really took off my sister in law was letting my 2 or 3 year old nephew walk with her free in a indoor mall. She turned and looked in a window for a minute and when she turned back around he was gone. She didn't panic and just looked and called for him for a few minutes. Then she started to panic when he didn't materialize. She contacted the mall security through the nearest stores phone alert system (before the cell phone days) and the mall went on immediate lockdown. A search turned up my nephew in a restroom with different clothes on and his hair dyed. All this took place in about 15 minutes all together. After that she never let them out of the car without a harness and leash on. She was given a lot of grief for that too by people in public. Obviously she wasn't going to loose my nephew again though. This happened in a St.Louis suburb at Jamestown Mall.

Author:  Thegrossmaster [ Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Took my girls to the range.

Are you serious Randy? Wow, I cant even begin to fathom that. I didnt think that was what the lady meant to me since we were kind of dodging carts, but that is a really scary story. We've got one of those toddler leashes too, might be a good idea to start using it.

Author:  Randy [ Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Took my girls to the range.

Yup, true story. Just something to think about anyway. I think it might all depend on where you live.
.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/