Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: ATI Poly AR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:12 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
Through some horse trading and such I wound up with two ATI Hybrid lower receivers and one of their Hybrid upper receivers. The bottom one in the picture was built with an Anderson lower parts kit and a Trinity Force Alpha stock and buffer tube kit. To that I installed and Anderson complete upper with Bolt Carrier Group in 300 AAC Blackout. The scope is a Millet Red Dot from Midway that someone posted here a while back.

The top one was built with some parts I've never used before so I'll list them.
ATI Omni Hybrid upper and lower receiver
Apoc Armory enhanced lower parts kit
Trinity Force, Alpha stock and buffer set (I like this stock and the price isn't bad)
Cotton Arms 16" mid length 5.56/223 barrel with 1:7 twist
Muzzle brake from eBay
Low profile gas block from eBay
Cotton Arms stainless steel mid length gas tube
15" Slim Keymod handguard
NCstar 4x tactical scope

I ran 60 rounds through the 300 Blackout because that's all I could afford just to test fire and break in. Someone that will remain nameless left the red dot on so the battery was dead and I couldn't use it. the rifle had one hiccup when I did 20 rounds rapid fire but no others. When I got home I tore it down for cleaning and there was no noticeable wear but it was filthy.

The 5.56/223 with the ATI Omni upper and lower was a different story but I was shooting my reloads that I have had some chambering issues with in other rifles as well so I can't blame the rifle.

The scope was on a different rifle that was sold and I kept the scope (I should have made them take the scope, I don't like the reticle) and after missing the target 60 times (I like to shoot sometimes and it was a long winter) I zeroed the scope and started again and in 20 was hitting the bullseye at 25 yards (I start at 25 yards when initially sighting in a rifle then move out) so I shot another 40 rounds.

When I got home I tore it down to clean and inspect and was impressed that the lower didn't have any visible wear and the upper wasn't anything that you wouldn't see on any other upper. The trigger is still kinda gritty and I probably won't get another Apoc lower parts kit but it was nicely polished and breaks at 6.5 pounds consistently.
The Cotton Arms barrel was a blemished barrel that I picked up for $65 and $8 for shipping and seemed to work pretty well but I need more rounds down range before it gets my seal of approval.

I'm pretty happy with these rifles so far, I'll post more after I shoot them more.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: ATI Poly AR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:52 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
Thanks for the write up Scott
I've wondered about those hybrid lowers.

--- Rabbi Shraga Silverstein

Come visit Barker Hill. Homesteading, survival, farming and self reliance.

Photobucket sucks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:53 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
All that plastic must make for a really light rifle? I hate plastic in most all the forms it comes in but I can also say i have experienced some plastics that would confound the devil himself when trying to break it or destroy it. :twisted: Mix a little embedded metal into it and it becomes essentially bombproof... Hmmm :thinkin: Duh!

Might be a stupid insult but could the feed issues (I am making an ass out of me here) be the result of using brass fire-formed in a different rifle? No direct experience with that but a lot of what I've read implies that after a case is once used in a rifle, then reloaded for that rifle, a lot of feed issues go away as long as the length is kept in check. :dunno:

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:57 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

I trimmed all my brass to length and full length resized. Since this is my stash ammo I want it able to fire in most anything. I need try the other full length sizing die I have.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:10 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
The ATI Omni is actually a pretty good lower.. I have one on a 300 blackout.. they have aluminum embedded in the plastic at all of the stress areas, and have an actual metal lower parts kit in them instead of the plastic kit in the plumb crazy lowers.

Cant say much about the uppers, haven't seen one yet.

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:06 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

I built three AR's on polymer stripped lowers from New Frontier, no metal at all in those. Ran into one that had problems, turned out to have voids in the material that let it flex, the bolt would hang up inside the buffer tube after a shot, then if you relaxed your hold on the rifle (on a rest, it didnt do this if you were just free-handing it unsupported) then "SPROING" the bolt would slam forward. Lifetime warranty, so all I had to do was send it in and they sent me a new one. Ran about 500 rounds through each of them so I knew they were trouble-free, then eventually traded or sold all of them off. Traded one of them for a WASR 10/63 that's been an awesome rifle.

http://elby.yolasite.com/ Mosin sight tools

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/blrobinso ... geOffset=2
My fantasy novels and C&R Bound Book

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:39 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
I have the ATI HYBRID lower and an Anderson upper in my hunting AR and no problems so far.
I've fired a rifle with the ATI upper and lower together - but that's all - just a few rounds and it seemed fine to me.

I'm glad Scott gave us a more thorough test with the polymer receivers.

I guess if they were a POS - they wouldn't be selling so many of them!!

My supplier has sold thousands of these lowers...

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”
Article VI, Section 24 of the South Dakota Constitution

I sure miss you Amp - (Dean Stephens) - Wish I could have met you.

Profile E-mail