Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Range day!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:22 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
So despite the extreme heat to day, I still got out to the range today to test my Ruger American following some load and weapon tuning. I went ahead and slapped the brand new Vortex on the rifle that I got back from them yesterday. After checking it out, I decided to give it another chance before going with my Leupold plan.

So previously I was able to get this American to shoot some decent groups, but not consistently. Ruger replaced the stock, I lapped the lugs, which weren't making consistent contact, and I lightly lapped the barrel, more so to remove the copper fouling that was pretty heavy within the first few inches of the chamber. And of course I turned my necks, and sorted my brass.

As far as brass, I tried Winchester, Remington, and Hornady today. All of it had been loaded 5 or 6 times, to I annealed it and I also turned it. All were FL sized and head spaced to as close to zero as possible, nice snug yet clean fit. All the case necks sealed at the mouths, very clean with no gases extending down the necks. This was a nice change from what I've been seeing with brass from this chamber, as the brass would often seal right at the bottom of the necks. And I love that Timney, that was a pleasure to shoot with today.

I ran a few different loads, sticking to some tried and tested combinations between RL22 and IMR-7828. I used the bullets I'm hunting with, Speer Hot Cores, which were all jammed .010", nothing new here. I didn't chrony them, as I've already done that with the same loads I ran today, so I know what they do at 500 yards. And I have my Leupold TBR programmed and correlating with this combination, which is very consistent in this respect..

I gotta say, for a budget production rifle, this American shot amazingly consistent this morning. I couldn't see much difference in accuracy between head stamps, everything produced about the same average groups. I shot 3 sight in rounds to zero it and foul the barrel. Then I printed two 5 shot groups with each load, for a total of 6 groups, it was way too hot out to spend much more time than that out there today. I was very pleased though, all the groups were under an inch, and two of them came in at just under 1/2". Those that were larger than an inch were between 1/2" and 3/4" range, none were larger than .771" though.

I don't have a way to post pics right now, but I'm working on figuring out a way to get them on the computer, I'll come up with something.

Next range trip will be a 200 yard sight in, and to confirm my TBR setting with my load at 300, 400, and 500 yards.

GS

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:17 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
That's great th hear. I was looking at the American in .308 as a range gun to shoot 500 yards.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Range day!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:26 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Great news GS!!! I know you had told me a while back that you weren't real happy with it. Good news that it's now shooting like it should!!!
:great: :great: :great:

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:03 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ya, I'm totally stoked Chris. I gotta say, I've had some really good results with this American.

My brass looks super nice too. Gas seal is right at the mouth, so apparently turning the necks down provided some benefit there as well.

As soon as I recuperate from the heat, I'm going back out to get it zeroed at 200 yds, then double check TBR correlation to the turrets. Those little couse deer won't be safe if they're within 600 yds.. I use a Caldwell field rest when hunting, so long shots are something I've always enjoyed, and honestly I've been pretty good with clean kills at 500+ yds.. Can't hardly wait.

GS

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:24 am 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

srtolly wrote:
That's great th hear. I was looking at the American in .308 as a range gun to shoot 500 yards.

Tell ya what, I've worked with quite a few American's at this point, and with a little bit of tuning, they've all performed well, so I see no reason why the .308 wouldn't function well as a 500 yard range gun.

I think they changed something about the stock though with the most recent one's, an upgrade as it were. The reason I say that, is I sent this one in for a repair, a primer seal let got, and it blew the extractor out and it took a piece of the bolt rim with it. When they sent it back to me, they had replaced the stock, which also came with an upgraded magazine also, has a steel follower and the spring is much stronger also.

That said, if you happen to pick up an older one, and it has the plastic magazine, just call Ruger and they'll hook you up with any current upgrades, they're awesome folks.

GS

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:40 am 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

My experience with Ruger has been positive. While none of mine have been warranty, they have certainly been reasonable.
I'm glad yours is now to your satisfaction!

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?