Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Using the Leupold TBR feature Range Finder
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:16 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
About 5 yrs. ago I bought the first of Leupold's True Ballistic Range (TBR) equipped range finders. For those that aren't familiar with the TBR, it's a BDC system that is programmable to correspond with the ballistics of various cartridges and velocities. It delivers actual ballistic range compensating for angle, where as most standard RF's only provide line of sight (LOS). The first one I bought was like in 2010, the RXIV I think, that one was big and bulky, and I never really got down to using it as intended, and instead used the "Hold Over " feature. That one quit working a couple years ago and Leupold replaced it with the RX-1000, which is really small and much easier to program.
Anyway, I took the RX1000 out and decided to really put it to the test. I sighted in to dead zero with a .270 yesterday, my DIL's Tika actually. Zero with this load and rifle is at 239 yds. with a MV of about 3100 fps, 130 gr. Speer Hot Core, 60.5 grs. of IMR-7828. So I set up several targets, one at 350 yds, one at 450 yds, and one at 550 yds.. I picked odd ranges simply because I wanted to see the system actually work at varying and unusual distances.

I ranged the 350 yd. target and the RF delivered a comp number, don't recall the exact moa adjustment, but I think it was Up .6 moa with the angle being something like down 4 degree's, so almost flat. Now please understand I'm not posting this thread to boast my shooting skills, this is about the accuracy of the TBR feature. So I put one down range off the lead sled, and bingo, no joke it landed right in the bull. So, I put another one down range and verified the compensation once again, and again I had two that were touching each other. Satisfied with the 350 yd. compensation, I sailed one down range at the 450 yd.. It struck with perfect elevation but was about 3" right, but I figured it had something to do with the light breeze. I sailed another, this one was also just about perfect elevation, and again it was right of center about 3.5". So I called it good, and then moved on to the 450 yd. target, and again the elevation was awesome, within a an inch of dead on, but again it was shooting right several inches, wind still blowing lightly. Sailed another, and this one was right there an inch more to the left than the first one, but elevation was the same.

So for anyone that has been considering the RX-1000 Leupold with TBR, go for it, they are an awesome range or hunting tool and are very accurate. They contain plenty of ballistic programs to cover more cartridges, and they also have an archery TBR program, low light program, bad weather, and I'm sure some features I missed, they are loaded with some good stuff. All of the features can be turned off and on too, so one doesn't have to look at a bunch of data if they don't need it, just turn the one's you don't need off.

GS

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:32 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
That's a great review GS.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Using the Leupold TBR feature Range Finder
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:52 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

That IS a good review!!!! BTW, how'd your hunt go???

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

Post subject: Re: Using the Leupold TBR feature Range Finder
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:45 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My hunt doesn't start for another couple weeks. But as usual, we're seeing some really big bucks being taken in that unit this year, both rifle and archery hunts.

GS

Profile E-mail