Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Remington 783
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:39 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
One thing that my firearm closet has been missing is a larger caliber rifle that is accurate and longer range than my AR's. While I do have my Mosin 91/30's, I won't scope them and they just aren't all that accurate for what my needs might be. So, after a few hours of research I went and bought a brand-new Remington 783 in .308 from a dealer on Gunbroker, ran me $335 with the $20 transfer from my local FFL, but they have a factory rebate of $40 through the end of September.

I went with the Remington over the Savage Axis and the Ruger American for several reasons. The two year warranty versus the Savage one year and the Ruger "no written warranty" were a consideration, as well as the fact that the Remington has a bedded heavy barrel that is free-floated, came with a 3-9x40 scope, a closed-cell recoil pad and has a trigger that the pull can be adjusted. The magazine for the most part is steel, just the floor plate is polymer.

Of course I read a whole bunch of reviews as well as customer experience on all three and found the usual mix. No matter what you buy, there are people who think it's just the greatest thing while others think it sucks. On paper, the 783 appeared to best fit what I was looking for, a rifle that is lightweight (under 7 pounds loaded), has the ability to be accurate way farther than I will probably ever shoot it (although I am looking into joining a rifle club that has a range out to 600 yards) and ammo is available and won't break my piggy bank to buy.

I took it out and did the Remington recommended break-in, which is basically shoot one and clean with a bore brush and patches, and repeat. I did this for the first 40 rounds, shooting the cheapest brass-cased ammo that I could get, which was 150gr ZQ1 in 7.62x51. Not as hot as standard .308, so I figured it would be perfect for a slow, easy initial break-in.

Accuracy wasn't great at all, even though the ZQ1 says it is guaranteed to shoot MOA at 10 yards, it was evident that the 783 did not care for it at all. After the 40 rounds, I switched over to some Monarch 150 gr brass cased from Academy, actually PPU according to the brass. Better accuracy but still nowhere near what I expected out of this.

OK...80 rounds through this and my shoulder is a bit bruised so no more for the day. I have a box of 168gr PPU Match BTHP and a box of 180gr PPU soft point to try out in my search for accuracy.

Two days later I get the itch to get this thing dialed in, shoulder still hurts. (old military injury, dislocated, long story) Take the 168gr out and now getting some accuracy, time to try and dial in the no-name scope that came on it.

Groups were satisfactory with that ammo but shoulder hurting again, so of course at that point I decide to step up to the 180gr. Makes sense right? Shoulder hurts, so shoot some heavier ammo?

Yeah...at that point I could tell that it wasn't the rifle, nor the ammo that was the problem. So I put it away for awhile. I bought some Federal Hydro-shock, some Remington Core-Lokt and some Winchester Power Point all in 150gr, and I'll take it out again in about a week to try some of each of those in my search for the most accurate factory ammo. It's doubtful that I will reload for it as I won't really shoot it that much, but always a possibility.

Overall, I'm REALLY liking this rifle, especially the trigger. I left it at the factory setting and haven't measured the pull, but it's better than my AR's, very crisp with no discernible creep and breaks the same each time.

Here's the target I shot with the 168gr PPU match ammo. A better scope (new glasses wouldn't hurt me) and handloads would more than likely enable one-hole groups. First shots were the lower left, second group was the middle one after I adjusted the scope way too far. Taking a better look at it I saw that it was a 1/4" per click instead of the 1/8" that I use normally. Last group was the upper left, so still need to do some fine tuning but overall very happy with it.

http://elby.yolasite.com/ Mosin sight tools

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/blrobinso ... geOffset=2
My fantasy novels and C&R Bound Book

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Remington 783
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:42 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

Favorite Hi-Point: 995

Good choice mo. Ive been testing the 783 in 06 for the past 2 months now. 200+ rounds in and no failures. I will say the barrel is thin. The trigger isnt as good as the axis accutrigger. And my recoil pad is starting to rip. But we do different conditions than most people out at my range.

The factory scope left me absolutely befuddled so i scrapped it and put on the 3×9 tasco that ive been trying to break for two years.

If youre ever out my way please swing in to test long distance. Ive had recent health issues but im on the rebound. My range has a 1500 yard plus section that is perfect for testing long range shots.

Let us know how it holds up compared to mine. Also of you get a chance try the accutrigger sometime and compare them to make sure it isnt just my prejudice.

Awesome review dewd. Hope it works out well for you. I like mine so far.

Favorite Firearms
Springfield XD 45acp
Mossberg Maverick 88 12g
Remington 7400 30-06
H&R combo rifle 22/.410
Heritage 22 SAA combo
HP 995
Savage 99 .250

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:31 am 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
Nice write up :great:
Some days I'm a bolt action fan, other days not so much, but that sounds like one I'd like to have.
Barn Owl, that looks like a neat rifle too
I've got a Savage with the accu-trigger, and I have to say it's a pretty sweet shooter.

--- Rabbi Shraga Silverstein

Come visit Barker Hill. Homesteading, survival, farming and self reliance.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:06 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

I'm thinking about the same rifle also in 308. Money is pretty tight now so it'll be a while.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:09 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

I've shot the Axis with Accu-trigger in .243 and I can't say that one is better than the other, seriously. I left mine at the 3.5 factory setting as I'm not a believer in a 2.5 lb pull on a hunting rifle, which is my primary purpose for this. I may change my mind and decrease it if I get to spend some long range time though for punching paper.

I can't say that the barrel is thin though, it measures out thicker at the muzzle than my Mosin 91/30's do by just a tad.

The only time I've run into any problem is if I try and baby the bolt back, it might not eject the empty out all the way, a good firm cycling of the bolt worked every time.

Wife is leaving on vacation for a couple of weeks on Monday, so I might be able to get some free time to run some more rounds through it. I have a Barska 3-9x40 scope that I did have on another rifle that I might change out, but other than the adjustment being 1/4" per click instead of 1/8" I haven't really run into any reason to swap it out as of yet.

I need to take the 783 and the .50 Traditions out and verify scope settings before I shut down the range for deer season, plus it's already into archery portion here and I have a new crossbow...

My writing website

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:40 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
I recently traded for a Howa 1500 24inch heavy barrel .308 set up for long range shooting... Havent shot anything out of it yet but a couple of rounds of the german plastic training ammo.

Mo you really should get a box or two of it, it has no recoil and is supposedly pretty accurate out to 100 yds. Max range is about 300 yds from what I read.

Don't let the plastic part fool you, its a 10 grain projectile and comes out of the barrel at 4000fps, so its lethal at close range.. I bought it to shoot around the house at pests so I don't have to worry about the bullet carrying a mile and killing someone.

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:46 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

waltham41 wrote:
I recently traded for a Howa 1500 24inch heavy barrel .308 set up for long range shooting... Havent shot anything out of it yet but a couple of rounds of the german plastic training ammo.

Mo you really should get a box or two of it, it has no recoil and is supposedly pretty accurate out to 100 yds. Max range is about 300 yds from what I read.

Don't let the plastic part fool you, its a 10 grain projectile and comes out of the barrel at 4000fps, so its lethal at close range.. I bought it to shoot around the house at pests so I don't have to worry about the bullet carrying a mile and killing someone.

I already have a wide assortment of "pest control" ammo for other firearms, from .22 shot shells for the huge spiders, and .38 shotshells for snakes, #8 shot for the 21 gauge for chipmunks and 55gr soft point in the AR's for armydillers and raccoons.

My writing website

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:44 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
I think that 783 is plenty accurate for a hunting rifle.
You may find some ammo it likes better (reloads or new) but what you have there looks pretty good!!
Remington had a 770 with a "pressed in" barrel I wouldn't want to own...

My SIL has a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor that he claims he's shooting "consistent" 1-1/2" groups a 300 yards.
He jacked the stock and put it in an aluminum "chassis" that he paid $100 more for than what the rifle cost... :shock:

I have a "cheaper" 308 Remington hunting rifle too - the Model 788 - It was made around 1974.

Last week I loaded up some Speer 110 hollow points I've had for a while to do some coyote whacking.
The box said they were made in 1997... :neutral:
I have an unopened box of 168gr BTHP bullets about that old too!!

Anyway, I went and sighted it in with the 110gr hp bullets - I was hoping for some good 3 shot groups to annoy the SIL with!!
And here's a couple of targets:

The first two shots touching and one is high.
I like my rifles to be about an inch high at a 100 yards so I can aim "right on" out to 250 yards or so.

I made a scope adjustment and this was the 2nd target:

First two shots almost touching an one a little high.
But it's about an inch high the way I like it.
Plenty accurate for a coyote out to 250 yards or so if I do my part.

The other smaller bullet holes are from an AR-15 I assembled for myself and mounted
a new Simmons 4-12x40 scope on with a cheap Amazon scope mount that I was sighting in.
I'll post a picture of it sometime.

These groups were shot with some relatively crappy 110gr bullets.

I need to get some heavier match grade bullets loaded up and see how it does.
The rifle likes a little heavier bullet - 150gr - 168gr bullets seem to work the best.

I have a fairly cheap 6-20 power Simmons scope on it too.

Anyway - The moral of the story is you don't have to spend a lot of money for an accurate hunting rifle!!

I think you done good Mo!! :great:

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”
Article VI, Section 24 of the South Dakota Constitution

I sure miss you Amp - (Dean Stephens) - Wish I could have met you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:27 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

If I recall correctly, 1.6" high at 100 yards gets you dead on at 40 yards then again at 200 yards .

My writing website

Profile E-mail