Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 2011 MN Black bear
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:41 am 
Fanatic
Fanatic

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
Hoping this works as never loaded videos. This past fall, I broke my left ankle while getting ready to go bear hunting. Well, the bait they were using wasn't working and I had brought up a bunch of stuff including donuts. well the donuts worked as the bear started to come to bait station. This is the video of my cousin shooting "MY" bear! So, now you see why shooting a bear has become an icon with me. This dam thing will be in the chicken shack I stay at while we hunt and stupid stupid stairs! :evil:

http://s1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 ... 11Bear.mp4

Was a 2 year old bear just the right size for eating.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 2011 MN Black bear
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:13 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
nice video bubba!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:02 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

thanks
ricky. just shows that when all the fancy bait being used, and all the same mix, some good old donuts with a few fresh ones works every time. we also added peanut butter, grape jelly, honey and bread. it gets a little expensive but as with this bear, she came in within a day's worth of my bait put out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:01 pm 
Collector
Collector

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
damn nice vid bubba, I got to get into the BB hunt this year, I have been away from it for a couple years. usually hit the MilleLacs WMA or stay around Milaca for most of my hnting

Minnesota Firearms Trader
http://www.facebook.com/groups/486405834722610/?ref=ts&fref=ts

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:08 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

MakeMine and I are thinking about going Kodiak hunting with a spear made out of our survival knives. Rambo style, from a tree. Lol.

Fill your hands, you son of a bitch! - Rooster Cogburn
Revenge is a meal best served cold!
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer!
I wouldn't be so paranoid, if everyone wasn't out to get me!
Officially a friend of a sadistic dirty old man. Lol.
It's always raining in my head. - Staind
Killing Is My Business, And Business Is Good! - Dave Mustane. - Megadeth.
http://www.military.com/video/operation ... 618611001/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:32 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

gunforhire wrote:
damn nice vid bubba, I got to get into the BB hunt this year, I have been away from it for a couple years. usually hit the MilleLacs WMA or stay around Milaca for most of my hnting

nice area. i go up around grand rapids by my cousins land, he was the one in the video who had the balls to shoot my bear lol.
I have other bait stations that he recorded but those were over his bait and only drew in wolves and deer. some awesome video of wildlife via game cam if anybody is interested in watching them, just post here i guess and will add to bottom.

MechWolf wrote:
MakeMine and I are thinking about going Kodiak hunting with a spear made out of our survival knives. Rambo style, from a tree. Lol.

Count me in on that, will hone those survival knives to shaving quality. Took me a few days of putzing but got it to take hairs off as well as thin layer of fingernail. that would be the survival knife i bought off ebay.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:27 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
Here's a trick I learned from a chef...YMMV, use a piece of plate glass to steel your knives on. He showed me how to use those triple (triangle shaped) hones to great advantage. Then as I mentioned in another post he would use a simple chromed screwdriver shank like craftsmans to steel the edges. And that's good enough for day to day cutting as it leaves a durable heavy edge. But for fillet quality sharpeness he said to hone it on plate glass with some veg oil. Always sharpen towards the backbone of a blade otherwise you'll roll the edge. And never take more than one swipe per side of the blade across the stone. However, these tips where given to me over thirty years ago. Modern materials may have changed the way things are done. His way has worked for me so I'll stick with it. Ceramic sticks and such might work just as well. IDK. :dunno:

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:41 am 
Fanatic
Fanatic

I use a finishing steel, like your glass to do majority of my knives. As i know condition that they are and how used. And same technique. Ultimate challenge is to take silk and drop over top of blade. If it cuts it then she's ready to go.

A dull knife is far more dangerous than a well sharpened blade.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:03 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Randy wrote:
Here's a trick I learned from a chef...YMMV, use a piece of plate glass to steel your knives on. He showed me how to use those triple (triangle shaped) hones to great advantage. Then as I mentioned in another post he would use a simple chromed screwdriver shank like craftsmans to steel the edges. And that's good enough for day to day cutting as it leaves a durable heavy edge. But for fillet quality sharpeness he said to hone it on plate glass with some veg oil. Always sharpen towards the backbone of a blade otherwise you'll roll the edge. And never take more than one swipe per side of the blade across the stone. However, these tips where given to me over thirty years ago. Modern materials may have changed the way things are done. His way has worked for me so I'll stick with it. Ceramic sticks and such might work just as well. IDK. :dunno:

I'm not arguing with you or disagreeing with you buddy, but a steel has teeth that actually shape the blade and put the blade tines back into the right place. I've never heard of using a glass or a screw driver shank. Now, calm down, don't get a big dick. Lol.
I'm always game to learn new shit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:09 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

MechWolf wrote:
Randy wrote:

I'm not arguing with you or disagreeing with you buddy, but a steel has teeth that actually shape the blade and put the blade tines back into the right place. I've never heard of using a glass or a screw driver shank. Now, calm down, don't get a big dick. Lol.
I'm always game to learn new shit.

wolf, have you ever seen a finishing steel? very smooth piece of steel no grooves in it but just smooth.a knife drawn on this to 'finish' the knife is taking the micro edge (for lack of a better name) and pulling it into one direction. A finely sharpened knife like I said, should be able to cut silk with no effort. Stopping with a medium steel or a ceramic stick wont do that, those work ok for field touch ups.
That help any?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:30 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

mnbubba wrote:
MechWolf wrote:
Randy wrote:
`Modern materials may have changed the way things are done. His way has worked for me so I'll stick with it. Ceramic sticks and such might work just as well. IDK. :dunno:

... but a steel has teeth that actually shape the blade and put the blade tines back into the right place. I've never heard of using a glass or a screw driver shank.

wolf, have you ever seen a finishing steel? very smooth piece of steel no grooves in it but just smooth.a knife drawn on this to 'finish' the knife is taking the micro edge (for lack of a better name) and pulling it into one direction. A finely sharpened knife like I said, should be able to cut silk with no effort. Stopping with a medium steel or a ceramic stick wont do that, those work ok for field touch ups.
That help any?

This is a finishing steel thanks to my now gone FIL and a screwdriver, both are smooth and both work to finish a knife. Now, would glass work? Yes, glass is smooth surface that will help to finish the edge. The only "new" way that I would trust for final edge is a system i saw at Cabela's. It was basically a tiny belt sander that had a finishing grit of paper of 3,000 grit I think. The wheel grinders.... :wow: OH HELL NO!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:05 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

mnbubba wrote:
That help any?

Bubba, I've seen all kinds of steels, from rough to fine. I guess you didn't know that I used to be a butcher and I currently cook and use a steel, also called a tuning rod, all the time.
What I'm saying is that even a finishing steel or finest tuning rod has microscopic teeth on them.
I'm not saying that a screw driver shank wouldn't work because I've never tried to use them in such a way.
So in essence, even a finishing steel have teeth one them to shape the splines on the blade back to a razor sharp edge.
If I were to take a finishing steel and try to sharpen a dull ass knife, it would take a very long time. Hence the rougher, courser steels.
I might be some dumb, but I'm not plum dumb. Lol.

Profile E-mail