Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: pawn shop rescue
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:26 am 
Fanatic
Fanatic

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
Don't get me wrong Tom, not saying I don't like S&W or anything. Just saying that I have heard the S&W Walther PPK & PPK/S guns have had some problems. S&W did "improve" on a design that has been awesome since 1931 so you have to wonder what happened. The Walther forums are full of stories saying it was a crap shoot with them. They were either great, or really not great. That being said, the newest ones (AFTER the recall) are said to be lots better. A local gun shop has a couple of brand new ones I'd really like to add to the family, but at $550 each it just can't happen right now. Maybe after I have testing in April I'll go get them, if I have enogh people test of course. In the mean time I'll snatch up any I/A's I can . Also looking for a nice Bersa or 2.
I love both my Hi-Points, but they just don't carry as well as my 380's do. Humm, wonder if HP ever thought of making a Walther clone.... :thinkin:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:37 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
tomteriffic wrote:
In general, no argument about the I/A vs. S&W Walthers. But in their defense, I have their first "joint venture", the SW99 in .40. Two of them actually. They were police trade-ins and I bought 'em right. The sales guy at the LGS I bought them from is ex-LEO and he told me how his department tested them when considering whether to deploy them. They took 'em down to the police range (which is right by the river, about two miles downstream from the range I go to). They shot and shot and shot until they were too hot to handle, then tossed them in the river to cool them off. No cleaning or any of that wussy stuff. The couldn't break them; no failures of any kind.

So educate me S&W and I/a where both licensed to make them? Huh?

"Contrary to what your mother told you violence can at times solve problems."

"There is only one way to deal with violence is to use greater violence" an Israeli exchange student.

Never shoot a large calber man with a small caliber weapon.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:33 am 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
Interarms was an importer ... and sometimes a bit more ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Cummings

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:26 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

"In 1978, Ranger Manufacturing of Gadsden, Alabama was licensed to manufacture the PPK and PPK/S; this version was distributed by Interarms of Alexandria, Virginia. This license was eventually canceled. Starting in 2002, Smith & Wesson (S&W) began manufacturing the PPK and PPK/S under license. In February 2009, S&W issued a recall for PPKs it manufactured for a defect in the hammer block safety.

Walther has indicated that, with the exception of the PP and the new PPK/E model, S&W is the current sole source for new PPK-type pistols.

The PPK/S was developed following the enactment of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA68) in the United States, the pistol's largest market (Hogg 1979:164). One of the provisions of GCA68 banned the importation of pistols and revolvers not meeting certain requirements of length, weight, and other "sporting" features into the United States. The PPK failed the "Import Points" test of the GCA68 by a single point. (See image of ATF Form 4590 for the complete list of qualifying points.) Walther addressed this situation by combining the PP's frame with the PPK's barrel and slide to create a pistol that weighed slightly more than the PPK. The additional ounce or two of weight of the PPK/S compared to the PPK was sufficient to provide the extra needed import points.

Because United States law allowed domestic production (as opposed to importation) of the PPK, manufacture began under license in the U.S. in 1978; this version was distributed by Interarms. The version currently manufactured by Smith & Wesson has been modified by incorporating a longer grip tang (S&W calls it "extended beaver tail"),[8] better protecting the shooter from slide bite, i.e. the rearward-traveling slide's pinching the web between the index finger and thumb of the firing hand, which was a problem with the original design." -From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . not always the best source of info, but pretty good on this one.

so, yes....and no. Both made/make them, but not at the same time.

Last edited by ETKD on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:43 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
Take no offense at this ET but I am impressed. Sometimes folks come and just ask easily researched questions like 'what color is an egg white'. :shock: :groan: That's OK all by itself; but sometimes it is nice to see that Google or Bing works for other folks too. :thumb: :nice:

BTW- that is a nice lookin gun, another one I wouldn't mind having. :thumb:

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:32 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

Randy wrote:
Take no offense at this ET but I am impressed. Sometimes folks come and just ask easily researched questions like 'what color is an egg white'. :shock: :groan: That's OK all by itself; but sometimes it is nice to see that Google or Bing works for other folks too. :thumb: :nice:

ERRR Thanks Randy....I think :hmmm: :dunno:
sorry, i forgot to put where info came form. pasteing it was faster than typing it myself, and better too. I was a Walther fan long before my 1st Hi-point and do know a little about them.

and thanks for the comment about the gun. once you put it on you hardly notice it is there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:04 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9-Comp
I like a Walther as well, but I prefer the ones made somewhere outside the US.

Mine is as old as me.

Other guns owned: Various and sundry...lets just say I can launch any of the following ammo...8mm & 7mm Mauser, 7.62X54R or 7.62X39 or 7.62X25, 7.5X55, 9X18, 9X19, .380, .40, .45, .22, .22 mag, .22WRF, .223, 12 ga, 20ga., .30-30, .300 Savage, .303 Brit, 7.62 NATO, and .30-06...so if you want to get rid of some, let me know!!!

He who laughs last........................thinks slowest!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:33 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

ajole wrote:
I like a Walther as well, but I prefer the ones made somewhere outside the US.

Mine is as old as me.

Nice P1 (or P38, depending on when it was made)! :thumb:
I was looking at one saturday, but I don't really know a lot about them. Would be nice to have an old Walter in full 9mm though.
My old PP is an import too. And it's the same age I am. We were both born in '67. Here's my PP with his new little brother the PPK/S.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:57 am 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

I've got an old PP made in 1941

--- Rabbi Shraga Silverstein

Come visit Barker Hill. Homesteading, survival, farming and self reliance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:32 am 
Fanatic
Fanatic

Cornhusker wrote:
I've got an old PP made in 1941

:thumb:
VERY COOL! nice Zella-Mehlis PP you have there. is it a 7.62mm (32 cal) or 9mm kurz(380 acp) ? Either way i love it.
Now we need someone to post pics of their Manurhin and their S&W PPK . :yes2:

Last edited by ETKD on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:49 am 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

It's the .32 version
neat little gun and is pretty good shape for an old dog :)
I like old .32s and have a few different oldies

--- Rabbi Shraga Silverstein

Come visit Barker Hill. Homesteading, survival, farming and self reliance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:47 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Husk, Near as I can tell you only lack one or two guns ever made! :whistle: I have less than ten (I think) and I obviously have a hard time keeping track of what I own. :? No...I think I might have 12 now. :dunno: Maybe 13? IDK. :roll: But that includes everything...BP rifles and pistolas too. I think.....

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:52 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

ETKD wrote:
Randy wrote:

ERRR Thanks Randy....I think :hmmm: :dunno:
sorry, i forgot to put where info came form. pasteing it was faster than typing it myself, and better too. I was a Walther fan long before my 1st Hi-point and do know a little about them.

and thanks for the comment about the gun. once you put it on you hardly notice it is there.

Compliment. :yes2: About being able to look info up on your own. Not a biggy, it's just that some people really do [not] seem to know how to do their own simple research. And when it happens that they do they see a wikipedia site first and call it gospel. Not saying it doesn't sometimes have excellent information but .....

Profile E-mail