Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: new trail cam
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:45 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
I have access to 37 acres of timber that sets about 12 miles from my house. I'm getting a lot of does and small bucks pics. here's a pic of the biggest buck so far. But he's safe. You can't eat horns. I'm looking for a big mature doe. Don't really like to hunt but I do want to fill the freezer.

I think if you need or want to harvest a deer you should be able too. I have never had a picture taken of myself and a deer I have taken. I never ever thought it was something I needed to celebrate.

I know weird but that's just me.

"Contrary to what your mother told you violence can at times solve problems."

"There is only one way to deal with violence is to use greater violence" an Israeli exchange student.

Never shoot a large calber man with a small caliber weapon.

Post subject: Re: new trail cam
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:01 am 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
I don't think it's weird. I've never had my pic taken with one either.

That ol boy sure likes that little tree.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:11 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
The one that got away, he showed up,, I didn't. 1/2 hour before muzzling loading season ended.

This guy only showed up at dark.

** Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet. **

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:38 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Verk,
I have no problems with folks that need to fill freezers as a necessity or as a supplement; but for those that simply get their jollies from killing something? Or those that spend the entire off season wishing they they could kill something, anything, that they wear hunting clothes year round and kill whatever crosses their path because 'it shouldn't be here' like coons, possums, or snakes, etc. because it MIGHT find it's way to someones barn? Or those that simply have the idea that if it crawls, walks or flies it's game. These folks have a major personality disorder. These are the folks that turn from somewhat law-abiding citizens into consummate liars, and trespassers at the start of hunting or trapping season just because the "season's" give them certain "rights" that they will not be denied. :sick: I overhear how such and such got their deer all the time about a week after each or all the seasons are over "because, by God, they paid for that deer!" :shock: :groan: :huh:

I was actually pleasantly surprised last week when an unknown neighbor actually came by and asked permission to place traps on and near our property. I said I couldn't stop him because part of the property was not ours he was asking about but I asked him nicely not to and explained how our dogs and cats run all year and it would be hard to train them to stay away from a trap for just the season and the fact that if one of my animals got tangled in a trap, even if not on my property, I would be a force to contend with because it has happened before. He said he completely understood and that he would find other places. I said anyplace outside of a mile radius would be nice of him but I couldn't require it and he said no problem. He had dogs that roamed on occasion also and he would feel the same way about his dogs getting trapped. Now whether he was blowing smoke up my ass like they generally do (see above) I don't know, and I will never know as long as none of my animals get in his traps, but that's a chance he would be taking. Our quiet lives are disrupted every year at this time because we can't keep illegal road hunters off 'our' road even though the entire road is posted no hunting. But the road, even though I paid for it and pay taxes on it, is still public property so I can't keep them off. They push the minimum yardage from livestock rule for as much as they can also. Not all of em but enough of em to give em all a bad reputation in my eyes.

Hobbles, I know you are old and infirm :wow: :run: :LOL: but is baiting really necessary or fair? I have a hard enough time considering younger folks being so lazy of hunters they bait as well as sit in a tree. Whatever happened to stalking? There is no 'hunting' in killing an animal that has been conditioned to walk to the same place every day so it can be killed. It's pure lazy (for those that have the the physical prowess to do it another way) and it's unethical as a 'hunter' for the same folks. There is always a certain leniency given to the less physically capable which is something I expect, but if it's not necessary it should not be allowed.

On a different note; it has come to my attention that at least here in Iowa using electronic communications is illegal (I've actually known this part for years), yet they can't prohibit cell phones I don't think (This is the part I have never considered).
This will turn into a sticky area soon enough as a lot of cell phones are push-to-talk capable acting just like a radio set allowing on the fly and instant communications with others in a group setting. Since I don't read each years new hunting laws I don't know if this has been addressed yet here in Iowa or not. I know each state allows different ways of killing things. I'm certain that regardless of the law most folks will use what they have to get the upper hand whether or not it is illegal.

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:04 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Evenin Randy,
I take it you hunt at the supermarket for your food.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:57 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Howdy Hobbles, not my point but yeah and I get venison when I can. I love it. But yes, I am more of an animal lover than killer. I used to skin mink for a living in the Seattle area so don't get the idea that I am a tree hugger however; I have no problems with 'hunting' but simply going out for a day and killing something like the younguns mostly do it today is beneath contempt.
The woods, timber, wilderness, whatever it's called is the home to those animals even if it borders on my property. I have no God given right to do more than kill what I need (not kill indiscriminately or kill an animal that is slightly inconvenient which means causing me to lose some of that precious money everyone so craves so much of) which is so prevalent these days.

My days of hunting ended years ago. I just never enjoyed killing something that didn't know it was coming, meaning if it was raised for slaughter (not trying to humanize anything here). That kind of hunting is fine for some things but not for wild animals, at least not in this age when there is affordable food at the supermarket. The problem is that food has been so cheap for so many years that folks are taken aback if they have to spend their extra disposable income on something less disposable. But that's life and it ain't all fun and games.
I suppose I just have an overactive sense of fair play no matter what it's geared towards. The only time unfair is necessary is a street fight at which time there are no holds barred. BTDT.

Like I said, if it's needed, use it. But if a person doesn't need it, they shouldn't be allowed to use it.
But as I say, each state is different as to the leniency of their hunting laws. I just saw on TV that Texas apparently allows hunting from a moving truck. That's pure chickenshit hunting and any hunter that could actually hold their head high and say that is the way they got a deer I would feel sorry for there worthless, lazy asses UNLESS they were handicapped or virtually physically immobile.

I am obviously oversimplifying this. This is one of those things where there is no absolute right side. I loves me some venison but I can live quite comfortably on mac and cheese and hotdogs which is what I do these days. I've eaten real meat once in the last month. It's not a big deal to me, food is food as long as there is something in my belly.

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:39 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Mornin Randy,
Out of 10 years of hunting here, I have dropped a deer 6 of those years. (this year is not over yet) I hunt to put food on the table to feed the Wife and I. Living on mac and cheese and hot dogs is of no interest to me, nor the Wife I bet. But if that's the way you live, it's ok with me.
I do enjoy the hunt, but like you, I don't enjoy the kill. I do it for the food, always have, always will. I think the main reason I hunt is to prove to my self that I still can. I can see we differ there. As for the food being cheap, yes, mac and cheese and hot dogs probably are.
I didn't get a deer this muzzling season (2 days) but I'll try again next month.

nother one that got away,

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:58 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
How about varmint hunting Randy? I know where there are a few huge prairie dog towns. Ranchers hate 'em cuz a cow can step in a hole and break a leg. They usually poison them. I think I'd rather take a bullet than be poisoned. They reproduce like crazy and a prairie dog town can cover a lot of pasture fairly quick. I love to load up several hundred round for my .308 and blast the hell out of them. I guess I've really never considered myself to have a major personality disorder (well not for that anyway!!) because I like to blast those little hole digging varmints. And deer? I used to work in an auto body repair shop. The #1 repair: Deer hits!! There are so many deer and antelope around here I don't think we could kill 'em all if we tried. I live in town. At least a dozen times over this summer I'm sitting on my back deck and here comes a deer, right thru my back yard. Gives me the finger and across the road he goes... And, of course they can be a nuisance to the farmers when there are too many deer. We really need to hunt them to keep the population under control. I asked one farmer I know if I could hunt on his land. He said I could come out as long as was NOT deer season and I could kill all of them I want, as long as I would leave them lay... He apparently hates the Game and Fish Dept... Needless to say, I did not do that!! But the deer were getting into his feed and hay.

And it seems every segment of our society has it's share of assholes. Even hunters... and the more people that are around, it seems the asshole ratio goes up. I know you live in Iowa and there are a LOT more people there than in South Dakota. So it stands to reason you would have to deal with more assholes. Can you imagine how many assholes there must be in New York? Washington, DC? I know there are good people there and certainly in Iowa too, but it seems like the assholes are always getting the most attention. At one time, the law of natural selection would weed out the assholes. But now, it seems like we're living in an era where the assholes are thriving. I wish I had some sage advice to give on living in this "Age of Assholes". I would like an open season to reduce the number of assholes in our society. I don't see that happening though...

I do try to associate with people of respect. And that's whats missing now days. That's why I like HPT. This is an "asshole free" zone that seems to be populated with respectful adults. I can have a little disagreement with Randy and discuss it in a meaningful productive way. And have some fun and maybe learn a little something from each other along the way.

I bet I know what Randy is thinking about me when he reads this: "Jason, you asshole..." :roflol: :laugh: :roflol: :laugh: :run:

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”
Article VI, Section 24 of the South Dakota Constitution

I sure miss you Amp - (Dean Stephens) - Wish I could have met you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:11 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Hi Hobbles,
I'd really like to meet face to face Hobbles because you and I are twin sons of a different mother. I do respectfully agree with your stance with one caveat not meant to be insulting to you personally. That same sentence is almost verbatim out of every one of the people I was just talking about here in Iowa. They "enjoy the hunt but don't the kill". I knew one person that didn't need the meat but he continued to wear the orange and continued to hunt by stalking. Only the deer he shot were closeup and personal...and on camera. No telephoto lens, just a standard camera setting and he was getting shots of their eyes before they were aware of him and when they realized he was near. He said he had never been near enough to a deer to understand the fear that overcame them before and after. Most folks don't give two hoots that animals feel both pain and fear and that making fun of a serious situation at the expense of an animal is tantamount to child abuse.

Like I keep saying, I am NOT against hunting for food. I AM against hunting as it has become with the vast majority of those that have learned to view it as a week long, or weekend long, party with like minded people. I disagree with group hunts as they are nothing more than lazy shiftless turds looking to kill anything.

The ideal hunting scenario in my mind which should be legal, at least here in Iowa due to the terrain, would be for those aged teen to 60 years old (except those not old enough to legally hunt by themselves) to hunt alone on foot, without baiting or cameras all year (which would simply make the kill just a meaningless kill). They would have to work for what they want just as hunting was intended, otherwise it's just killing. There would be certain exemptions for the physically impaired and the elderly (if they choose to exercise those) although they could easily do it the hard way also.
Or society has gotten so soft in all things that hunting has become a leisure activity prone to whiners that excuse it as a reason to do as they please.

Even if regulations were put in place requiring hunters to do it this way how many do you suppose actually would? Very few, they would turn into instant criminals by breaking or stretching the regs as far as possible. It's human nature to seek the easy way. But to me the easy way is taking the "hunting" out of the picture and has turned it into killing for no other purpose than to kill something because we can't kill each other.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:51 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

jasonsch wrote:
How about varmint hunting Randy? I know where there are a few huge prairie dog towns. Ranchers hate 'em cuz a cow can step in a hole and break a leg. They usually poison them. I think I'd rather take a bullet than be poisoned. They reproduce like crazy and a prairie dog town can cover a lot of pasture fairly quick. I love to load up several hundred round for my .308 and blast the hell out of them. I guess I've really never considered myself to have a major personality disorder (well not for that anyway!!) because I like to blast those little hole digging varmints. And deer? I used to work in an auto body repair shop. The #1 repair: Deer hits!! There are so many deer and antelope around here I don't think we could kill 'em all if we tried. I live in town. At least a dozen times over this summer I'm sitting on my back deck and here comes a deer, right thru my back yard. Gives me the finger and across the road he goes... And, of course they can be a nuisance to the farmers when there are too many deer. We really need to hunt them to keep the population under control. I asked one farmer I know if I could hunt on his land. He said I could come out as long as was NOT deer season and I could kill all of them I want, as long as I would leave them lay... He apparently hates the Game and Fish Dept... Needless to say, I did not do that!! But the deer were getting into his feed and hay.

And it seems every segment of our society has it's share of assholes. Even hunters... and the more people that are around, it seems the asshole ratio goes up. I know you live in Iowa and there are a LOT more people there than in South Dakota. So it stands to reason you would have to deal with more assholes. Can you imagine how many assholes there must be in New York? Washington, DC? I know there are good people there and certainly in Iowa too, but it seems like the assholes are always getting the most attention. At one time, the law of natural selection would weed out the assholes. But now, it seems like we're living in an era where the assholes are thriving. I wish I had some sage advice to give on living in this "Age of Assholes". I would like an open season to reduce the number of assholes in our society. I don't see that happening though...

I do try to associate with people of respect. And that's whats missing now days. That's why I like HPT. This is an "asshole free" zone that seems to be populated with respectful adults. I can have a little disagreement with Randy and discuss it in a meaningful productive way. And have some fun and maybe learn a little something from each other along the way.

I bet I know what Randy is thinking about me when he reads this: "Jason, you asshole..." :roflol: :laugh: :roflol: :laugh: :run:

Howdo Jason,
Nope, having an opposing opinion does not make one anm asshole as long as what you referenced remains true; respectful disagreement.

With that said I will counter what you are saying by pointing out that that is koolaide my friend. Simply because an animal species becomes inconvenient does not warrant instituting an all out war on that species. I have driven for 45 years and have NEVER hit a deer. On my motorcycle or 4 wheeled vehicles. Why? Because I am aware that deer are out during full moons and slow down, or I slow down at night anyway not because I am a timid human being but because I don't need to run into all the critters on these country roads at night. The vast majority of folks tend to overdrive their headlights. Can't fix stupid but you can fix their cars and trucks so why worry about keeping folks busy doing so? You are the capitalist, not me. :whistle:

Varmint hunting is definitely one of the things I have no respect for. So I will start a fight here on that. With that said you can guess my feeling towards the poor inconvenienced millionaire rancher. Even if they are not millionaire ranchers, the critters own the ground not the people. If a bovine steps in the hole and breaks a leg I am cold hearted enough to not worry about it, survival of the fittest. The smart ones don't step in holes, beside that one dead animal will keep the coyotes off the rest of the poor ranchers money. I have less respect for ranchers than I do anyone else on earth. They are biggest whiners of all the ag branches and are given the most from the farm bill per dollar spent. I'm not really sure why we need a farm bill. It's a business like all other businesses. If poor choices are made a farmer goes under, big deal. There will be someone else waiting to buy him out and continue farming that land. I have no sympathy. They earn almost half their wages off the taxpayer subsidies. This to me makes no sense. But we whine about the folks that NEED assistance being a drain on taxes. Most folks are SOOO uninformed.

We definetly agree on the assholes becoming overpopulated though. That, to me, is the result of lessening social mores. It has been documented many times, and I'll fish the cites up if you really want to see them, that we have reduced our moral awareness many fold since the sixties. Ethics are regenerated to lower level each decade. Our forefathers of just two generations ago would would want to commit suicide just get out of the degree of moral filth we live in now but consider normal. Most folks see the roaring twenties as a low spot in American morals. Not hardly. And pot smokers are/have been considered as widespread in the sixties when in reality they constituted less than 12% of the population in 1969, the highest year recorded until 2000. This was just in the news so I looked it up in the college library (scholarly sources :whistle: ) and it seems to be factual from what I could find. The media tends to magnify reality for posterity as we all know. In truth the roaring twenties was pretty much confined to New york and Chicago. Not as widespread as most folks have been led to believe. Most folks where God fearing Christians and lived predominately on farms back in those times but time were actively changing and more folks were really moving off the farms to where the work was. But considering this was when a large farm was 60-80 acres and working it was a year round job for low pay it was no wonder.
But I'm digressing...

We disagree on what is fun in life. That is to be expected. Killing for fun is to me, well, to put it mildly, ...I can't put it mildly so I'll bite my tongue. :rules:

I don't believe self-deceit to justify doing something amoral is healthy however. And killing for the reasons you outlined fits this description.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:53 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Well here's a few more pics if anybody is interested with them. I am getting so I can't tell them apart. Lots of picture small deer in the day big deer at night.

You guys continue on with your ethics and morality debate. :groan:

"There is only one way to deal with violence is to use greater violence" an Israeli exchange student.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:32 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Sorry V,
Nice looking deer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:21 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Afternoon verkalak,
The big ones were either harvest or moved down to Tennessee for a bit as I haven't seen them since Saturday.
The bucks seem to come out at night, the doe come in late in the day.
Here in Kentucky we are allowed 4 deer a year, one can be a buck. They ask for us not to take one that is 6 points or less. I'd rather have a doe anyway also, but if a big boy shows up and I get a clean shot, I'll take em. We have 2 weeks before we can hunt again.
I have a Winchester 94 model 30/30, but I like my smoke pole best for huntin.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:22 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Hobbles

we have so many seasons I have to get a DNR book to keep track of them. Early shotgun, late shotgun, couple of bow seasons I think for turkey. Deer bow has it's own season. You can take a deer, 2 if you have land and use the landowners tag, The southern 2 tiers of counties you can buy extra tags and even use a rifle in them. Muzzleloaders I know very little about or the seasons they have. Don't hold me to it I'm sure it has probably changed as our DNR is a sad bunch of jackoffs and hardly management material.

I'd be happy with a good sized doe and be sitting good for winter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:00 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Mornin verkalak,
One thing I like bout movin here to Kentucky, (from So Ca) is you don't need a license to hunt or fish on your own land. But the Sportsman license, which lets you hunt all and fish now cost me $5 for the year since I turned 65. It used to be $90 before I turned 65. We don't need any deer tags for the 4 deer. It sure wasn't this way out west. There's a lot different back here. I remember when I first got here I asked a neighbor where I could get me a burn permit to burn the weeds. He looked at me like I was nuts. (we need one out west) They never heard of such a thing back here. If I would fire my weapon out west, I'd have the SWAT team there in a heart beat. Here, the neighbor makes bombs that he shoots at and they blow up. It rattles the windows, no one cares. If you have a rifle in your vehicle and it's loaded, no one cares. They kinda figure a weapon that ain't loaded is like a knife that ain't sharp, it's useless. Out in So Ca if you even thought bout havin a loadin weapon in your vehicle,, SWAT TEAM! Man, what a difference back here.
How you doin with your swinging targets?

Profile E-mail