Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Latest Evil Rifle build
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:39 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
I'm not really sure what I have in this one as far as $$$ as a lot of parts were pulled off other projects for one reason or another. Sometimes I'll get a great deal on a stock that comes with a buffer tube and spring and buffer, so the one that I bought earlier intending on using on that build will get tossed into the spare parts box.

It started on a Bushmaster stripped lower receiver, only reason I went with that is when I met up with my guy that I usually get the Anderson's from, the only ones he had were closed trigger guard which I don't use as I like to install the larger winter ones.

I used a Center Mass Tactical lower parts kit, which I don't recommend as their hammer was oversized on one spring lug and I had to wage an email battle with them to get a good one. They did however make amends by including a JP "Enhance reliability" spring set with the replacement hammer that dramatically lowered the trigger pull.

Milspec buffer tube and accompanying parts, not sure who made the stock as it came out of the spare box.

Same with the pistol grip but if I recall correctly it was a $10 ebay one.

Upper started with a Keyhole forge stripped receiver. Small parts came from Outdoor Sports USA, they have fantastic prices on the little stuff that always runs into big $$$ when added up. I paid $30 for a sale package that had the charging handle, dust cover and forward assist assembly. These usually run about $45 and up elsewhere, and they have free shipping on everything.

Barrel is an another Anderson 1:8 twist, 16" carbine gas system. I actually got a better price buying it from Brownells with my discount for having an 03FFL than I could buy it straight from Anderson.

Low profile steel gas block, stainless gas tube. Eagle Lite 15" free float quadrail, another purchase from Outdoor Sports, $35, free shipping and came with the plate for the front end as well which usually runs another $7-$10.

AIM surplus BCG, I actually used the BCG out of my favorite shooter and bought a NiB one from AIM for that one when they had them on sale for $100 shipped. Since this one will hopefully get sold, I put the shiny new BCG in the one I'm keeping, lol.

Aukmont 45 degree offset sights, a fishbone muzzle brake out of the parts box and threw on the Barska 1x30 IR red dot that came on my WASR and all done.

Ran 120 rounds through it on Sunday, it's as accurate as any that I've shot with a red dot on it. I prefer a scope, but for a close in rapid target acquisition this setup would work fine.

http://elby.yolasite.com/ Mosin sight tools

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/blrobinso ... geOffset=2
My fantasy novels and C&R Bound Book

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:19 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Looks nice. I like the red dot.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Latest Evil Rifle build
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:08 am 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
I'd really like to order a couple lowers
Is Anderson a good brand?

--- Rabbi Shraga Silverstein

Come visit Barker Hill. Homesteading, survival, farming and self reliance.

Photobucket sucks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:11 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Both my ARs are built on Anderson lowers. I got mine from Jason.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:55 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

There's absolutely nothing at all wrong with the Anderson lower receiver. Fit and finish on them has been just as good as the higher dollar ones that I've put together. The Bushmaster lower ran me $85 and there's nothing about it that makes it better than the $45-$50 Anderson ones.

My writing website

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:12 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
Anderson is considered lower end, but they are just as good as any other lower as far as I am concerned... About half of my AR's have Anderson lowers.

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:21 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Mo do you by any chance have the link to that 10 dollar grip? I found this one, but I like the one you have better.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351669043543

Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:38 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
Great looking build you have there Mo!!
That stock looks suspiciously like a "Gun-Tec" stock - I think they go by some other names too... but not sure about that.
Gun-Tec doesn't have any more of those stocks - they've been out for a long, long time.
But - It sure is fun to put an AR together and see how well it works when it's all done!! :great:

My "target shooting" AR (my only one now) is all Anderson and I love it!!
Anderson can't make stuff fast enough... which has caused me to look elsewhere for AR parts.

I'm trying out a polymer lower and upper.
I used to think they were a joke - until a fellow brought a "Vulcan" brand AR rifle for me to clean.

He had obviously used and abused the crap out of it!!
His "beat around" rifle he took with him everywhere on the farm - when he was haying of farming or checking calves.
"That rifle has killed a lot of coyotes" he said, and it was still "working fine"
So that's a pretty good test - if it lasts during your average farmers used - it must be OK!!
And it's amazing how many farmers are going to an AR-15 for an "everyday" gun.

So I figured, what the hell - I'll try an ATI "OMNI" polymer lower and and ATI polymer upper too and see how they hold up.
I plan on having one together soon and using it for my new "coyote hunting" rifle this fall.
We'll see how that works out...

And Husker - I have an striped AERO Precision lower I'd make you a deal on.
I did have a dozen of them but have 2 left now.
I had to wait for those suckers for 6 weeks when I ordered them...
They are a really nice lower!! And I have a Delton LPK to go along with it too.
And I do have a few extra stripped polymer ATI lowers that I mentioned above on hand, if you'd rather give it a try.
I found a place that had some and bought several since lowers are so tough to come by - from a supplier that is.

Anyway Husker - PM or message me if you're interested!! (-:
Or anyone else for that matter!!

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”
Article VI, Section 24 of the South Dakota Constitution

I sure miss you Amp - (Dean Stephens) - Wish I could have met you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:12 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

Hey Walt- is this the one you like? http://www.ebay.com/itm/JTM-Sports-Ergonomic-Rifle-Pistol-Grip-Finger-Grooves-w-Storage-for-RPR-Black/331744383649?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:11 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

mrlumu wrote:

That's the exact one that I have, same seller even.

The stock on this one is similar to the Guntech ones, but also has two small set screws in the side so that you could tighten it down to make it compliant with one of the Nazi states "fixed stock" laws. If I was planning on keeping it, I would buy another Rogers SuperStok to put on it, I have one on my FDE build and love it as the camlock eliminates any movement so no rattles. Combat Armory has them on clearance for $20 shipped, they fit best on milspec tubes but say they fit commercial with the removal of the spacer, but I found it to be a bit too tight on the commercial tube.

I have the two Guntech stocks that I bought off Jason on my favorite shooter, and the wife's AR.

My VERY favorite pistol grip is the ATI Scorpion X2.

My writing website

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:10 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
Probably a couple stupid questions Mo...
I suppose you learned a lot about M-16/AR-15 in the military - is that right?
And how long have you been putting them together?
I didn't understand the whole AR-15 craze until I started selling guns as a hobby business.
They're pretty hard to ignore when you sell guns - folks ask about them a lot!!
I didn't have a freakin' clue on how popular the AR-15 was until 3 years ago or so.
Or really understand the phrase "platform" - you can do anything you want with these things!!
And they're really accurate if you use good ammo!!
You've certainly been involved with this "platform" for longer than most of us here.
Just curious for how long??

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”
Article VI, Section 24 of the South Dakota Constitution

I sure miss you Amp - (Dean Stephens) - Wish I could have met you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:25 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

I didn't learn much at all about the platform while in the service, we weren't allowed to do anything at all to them other than shoot and clean them. If we had a problem at all, it went in to the armorer to fool with. I had a TERRIBLE one issued to me when they went to the M4, it would leave the fired case in the chamber every time. My guess now, knowing what I've learned, is that it was severely overgassed or the buffer might have been missing weights possibly. I ended up having to qualify with a rifle that was sighted in for someone else which was interesting.

Not sure exactly when I got started, I know I bought three stripped lowers after the first panic, what was that, 2008? Not even sure how many I've built, somewhere around 10ish or so. I've been lucky in that paying attention to each part as it goes together, I've had a minimum of problems.

Here's a pic of my favorite, set up for around 250 yards for coyotes.

This one is set up for 100 yards, keep it loaded with 55gr soft point for the occasional army-diller.

This is the wife's build.

My writing website

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:42 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

mrlumu wrote:

Yessir it is, thank you very much I see another seller that has the exact same grip and has plenty of them.. I need 4 so It will have to wait until I get some money ;) I suffer from that hawaiian disease lakamula LOL

Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

ImageImage

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:55 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Here is an evil black gun I just about have finished... Started out life as a Remington 742 semi auto in 30-06. I had the barrel threaded, put a brake on it... got a 10 rd mag took the wood furniture off and put synthetic with a pistol grip stock... topped it with a 4-16x44 illuminated reticle scope and attached a bipod to it. Been tinkering with it for a couple of months now... Got more money in it than its worth I'm sure but it is nice to look at :)

Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

ImageImage

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:13 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

waltham41 wrote:
Here is an evil black gun I just about have finished... Started out life as a Remington 742 semi auto in 30-06. I had the barrel threaded, put a brake on it... got a 10 rd mag took the wood furniture off and put synthetic with a pistol grip stock... topped it with a 4-16x44 illuminated reticle scope and attached a bipod to it. Been tinkering with it for a couple of months now... Got more money in it than its worth I'm sure but it is nice to look at :)

Nice
I've got a 740, I could EBR that one of these days :mrgreen:

--- Rabbi Shraga Silverstein

Come visit Barker Hill. Homesteading, survival, farming and self reliance.

Photobucket sucks

Profile E-mail