It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Improving My HP CF380
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:11 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

Favorite Hi-Point: CF380
This is more an FYI for new owners.

As a new owner 6 weeks ago, I was looking for ideas and guidance.
There are hours of videos out there with folks doing the various mods to their HP guns.
I had polished the feed ramp before ever firing the gun.
I went to a local indoor range, told the RSO I hadn't fired a gun in decades and never a semi and I asked if he would check it out before I used it.

He made the normal comments about HP's, checked the gun, commented on a rough slide action, fired a magazine and mentioned a rough and inconsistent trigger action.
He worked with me and I noticed the points he was making.

Here's what I did.
Slide
I found a small piece of polymer still on the frame under the slide, I removed it with a razor blade.
I also used a little gun grease on the frame where the slide was in contact with the metal rails in the polymer.
Huge difference. (The scratches were there when I removed the slide the 1st time).

Trigger Action
I broke the gun down, greased the SEAR and spring. I reassembled it and dry-fired, it was a little smoother, but I still felt roughness while squeezing.
And the slower I squeezed, the more pronounced it was.

Teardown again.

To the naked eye, it appeared the inside corner of the trigger assy. (18) had areas of paint already worn off, but still had paint "lines".
Using a magnifier, I could see minute grooves in the corner section running across from side to side. I figured the bottom edge of the sear cam (11) was catching in the grooves, causing the trigger issue.

I also noticed the outside bottom of the sear cam (11) had a "sharp edge" on the corner. I figure it was from the stamping process when the cam was made.
Using 320 grit paper, I sanded the bottom edge of the cam enough to remove the sharp edge and (barely) rounded-off the entire bottom edge.
Then finished it with 000 steel wool.

I did the same process with the corner of the trigger assembly and only until the lines of paint were gone and the corner was smooth.
I used a little grease again between the frame and the trigger assembly and also the sear cam and reassembled.

I did numerous dry fires (with snap caps) until I was confident everything was smoother and not just my imagination.

The comment that a proper trigger squeeze is when the trigger "fire" surprises the person. I can now say that's the case, before the roughness while squeezing "hid" the surprise. I'll see what happens using live ammo.

We'll see what the RSO says next.

Of course your YMMV, but I hope this helps someone.

Regards,

drk

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:19 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
Great info drk.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Improving My HP CF380
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:12 pm 
Guru
Guru

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
Just watch how much material you remove. It could make your trigger disconnect. It is ok if you can pull it to stop and it does not disconnect when you start to release the trigger.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:36 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

Makeminea4595TS wrote:
Just watch how much material you remove. It could make your trigger disconnect. It is ok if you can pull it to stop and it does not disconnect when you start to release the trigger.

It's a rainy Sunday so it seemed like a good time to understand what you mean by "disconnect".
I'm not sure what you mean.

TIA,

drk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:00 pm 
Guru
Guru

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
When you pull the trigger and the cam slips off the contact with the trigger arm. The end of the cam where you show it needs rounded , figure 2, actually sits in the corner in your other diagram.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:30 am 
Passerby
Passerby

Makeminea4595TS wrote:
Just watch how much material you remove. It could make your trigger disconnect. It is ok if you can pull it to stop and it does not disconnect when you start to release the trigger.When you pull the trigger and the cam slips off the contact with the trigger arm.

The end of the cam where you show it needs rounded , figure 2, actually sits in the corner in your other diagram.

That's what I figured, but I didn't want to assume.
A person would have to remove quite a bit if material for the trigger to disconnect. And to be honest, if someone did remove that much, they probably shouldn't own a firearm.

Regards,

drk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:23 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
You are basically trying to smooth, NOT remove metal or change any shapes. As long as the shape/size remain the same, simple polishing mating surfaces can do amazing things!
I never felt a need to polish my ramp as it was working well. MANY rounds later the powder coat was becoming rough on the ramp, so I just removed the PC and was careful not to change any shape or dimension.

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:38 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

Squeezing the trigger was definitely smoother and it fired before I expected. I'll need more time. :)
The RSO fired 5 rounds that were on the mark and commented on the different trigger feel.

On the downside,
I had purchased a different brand of ammo (new not reman) and I had 9 fail to eject in 80 rounds.
I had used Winchester white box since I got the 380 and never had a problem in 500 rounds. Wondering if it was the gun or ammo, so I need to get more Win and see if the issue continues.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:26 pm 

Hello,
I am new with the last few weeks of Hi Point ownership as well. Read about so went to actually see one. Bought the 380 and liked it so much I bought the 9 two days later. I have never seen anything generate so much passionate conversation.
My wife's 380 fired great out of the box. No ATTN. needed. Bought some HPA ammo and it failed to feed every fourth round.
Went back to Winchester white box, Remington, Blazer and NO problems.
My 9 is also stock. Shoots great but does not like Federal ammo. Go figure.
I am a contrariant. I like their look, feel and heft. Easy to shoot with the recoil being softened by the slide. Not a good concealed carry but I will trust my life to them. My wife destroys bulls eyes with hers.
Nice post by the way.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:51 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

Thanks for the compliment convshooter.
Been so busy, I forgot to reply regarding the FTE issue.

I fired 10 rounds of Winchester white box and had an FTE. Fired 10 of the other brand I suspected and had no FTE's.
THE FTE's were my fault, I hadn't cleaned the eject key area sufficiently.
Got some high pressure cleaner spray, some junk came out and it's been fine.

Concealed carry is a bit tough for me, I work at a facility where no weapons are permitted, so they're locked-up at home and then in and out of the car...

I hope you folks enjoy this story.
A couple of weeks ago, I left the range and went shopping.
An hour later, I was walking through the mall parking lot and noticed someone walking very slowly between cars.
I can't say for sure he was doing anything wrong, but he didn't look like he was "lost". I kinda stood back and just watched as he approached the row my car was in.
He would look left, right, left right all the time moving slow, as if he was checking inside the vehicles.
He approached my car and the Mercedes Benz next to me. He looked in the front of MB, looked in mine, moved towards the rear of the cars, looked in the MB, looked in my backseat and suddenly walked quickly down away. I found that a bit odd.
As I unlocked my car, I realized I left the target in the backseat "Did he see the target" with the florescent green holes?
I'm glad I had a good day at the range. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:10 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

All guns "can" be finicky with certain ammos. Often, more use (breakin) of the gun will solve this, but not always.
Use it a bunch more then re-evaluate. ;)

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:19 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
drk wrote:
He approached my car and the Mercedes Benz next to me. He looked in the front of MB, looked in mine, moved towards the rear of the cars, looked in the MB, looked in my backseat and suddenly walked quickly down away. I found that a bit odd.
As I unlocked my car, I realized I left the target in the backseat "Did he see the target" with the florescent green holes?
I'm glad I had a good day at the range. :)

Very well may have been, most thieves are looking for a quick, safe smash and grab and head to the pawn shop... He likely didn't want to take the chance of running into a possibly armed pissed off car owner LOL

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail