Hipointtalk.net

Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Member with a New C-9
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:17 pm 

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
Greetings,

I've been viewing this site for a few weeks as part of my decision to buy the C-9 pistol, and have gotten a lot of good info and just got my gun a couple days ago and made my first trip to the range today, which I want to share.

A little background first. I own a couple of .22 rifles and a revolver, and a .38 S & W 3" barrel revolver. I haven't shot any of these for over 20 years and hadn't bought a gun since the 1980s, until the C-9. (I'm a young 70 y.o.) About a month ago I decided I'd like a 9mm automatic and began looking online. I would notice the Hi-Point at the bottom of the price range and since most the other guns were at least $100 more - at the LOW end, I figured it must be junk. A lot has changed in CA where I live since I last bought a gun. My FFL friend told me about the roster of legal handguns in CA and that guns purchased through a FFL here must be on the roster. The guns I was looking at weren't on it, but I saw the Hi Point C-9 was. I thought if this gone is on the list while others aren't - like the Ruger LC 9, maybe this gun isn't junk after all.

I started googling Hi Point reviews and watching You Tube videos - and you guys know what that's like. But a couple things stood out. The guns are virtually indestructible, they're accurate, and they have a life time warranty. The negatives were about appearance - ugly was a common term, hefty weight, and a tendency for FTFs and FTEs (lingo I've learned here) that tend to occur before firing a couple hundred rounds through them and tuning up the magazines and maybe the feed ramp. I concluded I could live with that since so much info. about correcting that was available.

So I went to the range today with those expectations in mind. The only prep work I did was to store the magazines loaded, as advised, and lock the slide back with safety and use a q-tip with a couple drops of oil to lube the channel on the underside of slide and a couple of other places I could get to where the slide moves along the chamber and frame. I ran my finger along the feed ramp and it was smooth with a glossy black finish. I didn't see any burrs or rough marks any where on the gun that were visible. The fit and finish looked fine.

I'm pleased to say that I fired 100 rounds through it with zero FTFs or FTEs ! The accuracy seemed good also, even though I hadn't fired a gun since Reagan was president. (The good old days). The rounds I fired were 50 of Federal and 50 of Winchester WB, both brass FMJ.

So first of all, thanks for the help I got here before firing the gun. And 2nd, the issues I read about in posts going back a few years might not be that prevalent now. The fit and finish of the gun and magazines ( I bought an extra) may have improved. The first time I loaded the magazines I was able to load only 7 rounds, but storing them filled may have helped because I was loading 8 in each mag after the first couple times.

Oh, before I forget: it has been mentioned that the C-9 was dropped from the CA roster of legal handguns. It turns out that was temporary because I checked today and it's back on the list. In CA guns are only certified for a year or two and have to be retested and recertified, sort of like renewing a license. I'm pleased to say that the C-9 and CF380 are back on the list and can be legally purchased in CA. I didn't see the JCP or JHP on the list.

I hope this has been helpful for somebody interested in getting a C-9.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New Member with a New C-9
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:24 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
:welcome: from Indiana. My experience with this group and my C9 is nearly identical to your story. It's great to see someone older than me for a change! ;)

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" "Who watches the watchmen?"
-- Juvenal, Satires, VI, 347 M E

"We can have a democratic society or we can have the concentration of great wealth in the hands of the few. We cannot have both."
-- Louis Brandeis, Supreme Court Justice from 1916-1939

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:08 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
Great story, welcome to our corner of the world.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:17 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
Welcome Bernie!!! Glad you joined us! Great report on the C9! :)

You've done the same thing most of us has... Done the research, done the thinking, made the decision and done the test.
You have a great pistol there that should give you many years of fun!

And another welcome!!!!

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:09 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear you are liking your new Hi Point, trust me, the people that have trouble with them are the minority and we can almost always help them here if they are willing to listen.

Any questions or comments, please feel free to jump in :)

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail