Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 2nd time at range was frustrating
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:24 am 
Passerby
Passerby

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
Took my new C9 to the range for the second time on Saturday. A bit frustrating. The pistol was failing to chamber a round with a fresh magazine. I would pull back and release and the slide would just stick in the open position. :groan: Several times I had to forcefully push the slide forward to chamber the first round. This happened with several different brands of ammo. Once a round was chambered however it fired without issue. :minigun: Perhaps I need to disassemble, clean, and freshly lube the pistol. dunno. Other than that the pistol continued to be very accurate out to 25 feet which is where I usually practice at.

- Greater love has no one than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
- All you can take with you is that which you have given away...Peter Bailey, Bailey Brothers Building and Loan

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 2nd time at range was frustrating
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:40 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Mornin idmtfirefighter,
Is the round hanging up some where? If so, there is two things to check.

** Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet. **

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:00 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

Thanks hobbles...I'll give the mags a look see. barring that in the next day or so I'll take it down and do a good inspection, cleaning, and lube. who knows how long my pistol sat in the box on a back room shelf at Gander Mountain before I brought it home. I'll continue shooting and if the problem persists I'll give HP a call and see what they recommend.

- Greater love has no one than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
- All you can take with you is that which you have given away...Peter Bailey, Bailey Brothers Building and Loan

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:03 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

On mine, the rounds were hanging up on the brass as it tried to slide into the barrel. When it hangs up, pull the round and look at it for marks. Anything I can do to help, just let me know.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:05 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:17 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

That is a common issue with these guns, The mags are junk.

Here was my solution, YMMV

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Doesn't tell ya much does it? All the pictures show is how the bullet moves into the chamber. The top of my mag has the mods done to it. The width of the lips are determined by the height the bullet sits in the mag but the numbers given are a good starting point. The trick is to not let the bullet nose too fast so that it stovepipes, not so slow that it jams. Some folks swear by polishing the feed ramp, I never have and mine after working on the mag for a while it cycles perfectly with the ammo I use. The feed ramp has so little to do with the actual feeding of the bullet it see no reason to risk ruining the gun by over cleaning the ramp profile. Nevertheless, the mag itself can vary in insertion height inside the magwell by quite a bit, so this variation needs to be dealt with by some means. I used the mag lips to vary the height the bullets actually sat at.

The other thing that needs to be addressed is the last round hold open (first two pictures). It can and does sometimes reach into the mag too far and inhibits the first round or two from chambering. Peer at it for a while and determine the best way to deal with that, I modified my mag with high-tech needle nosed pliers, a 3oz ball peen hammer, and a thermometer. :shock:

Well, didn't actually use the thermometer. :whistle:

I did file a very small amount off the lever though and racked the feedlips to the right side so the nose of the bullet has more room to get by the lever.

All said and done, it takes more time than energy. It's a good way to learn new skills, and if you do mess it up, there is a good chance it will be covered by warranty- if you ask nicely.

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:55 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Is is many from the magazine, or just the first one or two from a full mag?

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:27 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

hobbles...I inspected all my magazines (3) and they all seem to be rounded from the factory. I took the gun apart tonight...not as hard as I imagined and youtube was again helpful. I did not see anything clearly obvious that would give me my problems but it did offer me the chance to really clean and lube the interior. I also took a #10 surgical scalpel (perks of being in healthcare) to trim a bit of excess flash on the plastic pieces. Once cleaned and reassembled I loaded a mag and with extreme caution chambered a round, several times, without issue. I'll head back out to the range this week and see if it helped operationally. Thanks for the inputs all...If I have any more issues I'll let yah know.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:07 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

That's the thing about HiPoints, they cycle perfectly by hand more often than not, they screw up during the firing.

Now that you are familiar with the taking it apart if it makes spring scraping noises when hand cycling it just take a .22 brass brush in a drill and brush the pith out of the spring chamber in the slide. It is full of roughness and flash. Once that area is cleaned up it will rack easier and stay quiet doing it. Might need a couple of brushes before it's nice and clean or wrap some fine sandpaper around the brush couple of times.

This is my customizing in progress, unfortunately it's been in this state for over a year. It is MUCH more comfortable to shoot with the rounded grips. The rounded trigger guard is just personal preference, the shortened trigger end with a rounded tip is because it always pinched my fat finger and that was getting annoying, and all the parting lines were simply unacceptable to me. Hell, it's a $169 dollar gun, why not make it my own, nobody else has to like it. ;)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail