Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: JHP loads/reloads
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:40 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
Hi all, I am a new member and a relatively new hi-point owner. I have roughly 17 Rds through my jhp.
I was curious about what is everyone's favorite load is. So far my jhp does not like the 165gr federal hydroshocks. It shoots them way way to low. At 25 yds they are like 6-12" low. My wife and grandfather and I experienced the same drop. We all shot off hand and from a supported rest. The result is the same. Now before you question, my grandfather and I both shoot hot 357s( Ruger Blackhawk 7" circa 1950 and Smith and Wesson patrol model 4") we hit our marks fairly easy. Our guess is that the "low recoil" is just under charged for the hi point. I'm liking the 200 gr numbers, seems to be the best of all worlds it term is ballistic performance. Decent velocity, penetration, and energy. Am I correct in this theory, or do the jjps prefer the 230 gr loadings? Thought's?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: JHP loads/reloads
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:00 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
Welcome to the board WestCoast!
While the JHP is not in my stable, I'll make a couple comments on factory ammo.

Nephew works now for DHS. They all got their Rem Golden Saber ammo (gov issued) replaced with
Federal defence ammo in the mostly silver box. None of them like it. It's very dirty burning and underpowered.
Any time you see "low recoil", it's virtually guaranteed to be low power too... which could acct for accuracy and drop issues.

Grab a box of other branded ammo and give it a try. Let us know if you see any (and what) difference! ;)

For me, one of the reasons I own and shoot .45 is for heavier bullets so mine will have 230 gn pills every time, but then,
I roll my own and so pick the components.

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:18 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

I plan on trying both standard pressure and plus p loadings. the powder Ive selected is Accurate No.5
Standard pressure VS Plus P
200 gr JHP 200 gr JHP
8.0-9.5gr: 892-1022fps
9.1-10.0: 1022-1101fps
I figure about 25fps loss in the 4.5'' barrel. the stated velocities are from a 5" pipe

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:27 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Definitely keep us posted! We're stats junkies! lol

Here's some data on .45 loads from my site.
Loads with notes...
http://stevespages.com/table1.html

Complete reloading data section
http://stevespages.com/451p.html

Alexander Hamilton

them."

Thomas Jefferson

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:40 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

You can set up at 25 yards, but my family and friends practice at 5 to 7 yards. Sighting your home defense pistol for closer quarters means hitting the bad guy when the law is on your side. Shooting a perpetrator at 25 yards would just about guarantee you would be a long term guest of the state. Shooting low at 25 yards means your probably right on at a legal distance. That's just me. I'm not a lawyer or a member of law enforcement. :dunno:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:08 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
Most of my handgun shooting is at 8-10 yards, anything more than that I consider a hunting distance and done with Magnum shootin' irons (I've shot my 41 mag out to 100 yards). My chosen 45 ACP load is usually 6 grains of unique with a 230 bullet at about 900 fps.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:41 am 

My C9 shoots Hornady XTP very well. Of course, it's the first and only, jhp round I've tried. It seems to have a solid reputation and cycles fine, so it works for me!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:14 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

I got a silly question...did you fiddle with the rear sight adjustment to bring POI up to POA?

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:45 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

Randy wrote:
I got a silly question...did you fiddle with the rear sight adjustment to bring POI up to POA?

I sure did several times. the rear sights are all the way up.

My wife and I made a run up to the snow in the mountains to let our youngins play in the snow for a while. man was a blast haha my 1.5 year old son couldnt stop laughing every time I fliped some of the fresh powder on his coat. I had taken my pistol and rifle up with us incase A: I had seen a bear( have a bear tag so why not capitalize on that opportunity posting.php?mode=quote&f=4&p=250256#) B: it was a chance to run 30 rounds of remington umc 230gr FMJ posting.php?mode=quote&f=4&p=250256#. This gun loves 230 gr. It was throwing a impressive fire ball. Like most Remington bulk ammo, it was dirty. The only real issue was it did not want to chamber a round after a freshly loaded mag was inserted. I had to show my wife, who is still new and learning about guns, how to be rough and slap the back of the slide into battery. Gun just needs a good cleaning/oiling, not the ammunition's fault or a bad gun/mag. just time to field strip her down is all. It was more about seeing how ugly betty liked the heavy grain weight. So I now have the task of researching new hand loads for the 230 hollow points. Tough job I know, but some one has gotta do it lmao. On a side note, it was really low light with a snow storm rolling back in so it was hard to see exactly where my rounds were hitting, but I was hitting my target.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:43 am 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Word of caution...
There have been times where the slide (on any pistol) does not go into battery because of a stuck squib, a bore obstruction. I clean my guns pretty religiously. If I encounter a round that won't go into battery, I stop and check to make sure of the reason. Forcing the slide into closure can be catastrophic! You likely already know this but I thought it worth the mention due to the inherent danger. Always check first! If pounding is required, it's very possible to have any of several issues.

Alexander Hamilton

them."

Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:12 am 
Fanatic
Fanatic

Bear!!! No wonder why your sighting for 25 yards. The closest thing to a bear I've had on my property is a raccoon in the middle of the afternoon. Nocturnal animals in broad daylight are almost always not predictable, but a bear with little kids around....
New Hi Points with new magazines are prone to give you a little trouble. Everyone talks about polishing the feed ramp. I prefer to polish it with ammo. Shoot a couple hundred rounds and clean it a couple times. The powder coating will wear off on the internals causing friction and by then the mag spring will have relaxed enough that that first round will chamber as smoothly as the rest. I didn't notice this to be as much a problem with the C9s as much as the CF380s. I stopped loading the magazines to the top until the guns were broke in. My JHC didn't give me any trouble, but I loaded 5 at a time for the first two boxes. Your results may vary.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:56 pm 

George Taylor - yeah, my C9 took around 600 rounds to get broken in. The last 450 have been flawless..I noticed the other day, that the feed ramp is now shiny..I also noticed my son's JCP mag is much easier to load (?)..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:31 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

I am also not a proponent on the feed ramp polishing. No point to it unless it's just for OCD reasons. It's most likely the mag anyway, we all know these Hipoint mags are about the best there is :puke:

You sound familiar enough with firearms that I might suggest revisiting the mag on the problem gun. Givre a good looking at and visualize the rounds going through the motions of leaving the mag and entering the chamber. No look in the chamber and see what is hanging them up. If nothing is visible beyond paint on the feed ramps then it's likely the projectile is not sitting in the mag correctly. Too low and it jams the nose into the top side of the chamber. The trick is to get it to sit as high as possible and stay firmly with the mag when outside the gun. And have the bullet nose in the best direction to enter the chamber.

A little studying on it, some imagination of the speed at which all this needs to happen, and the path it has to take and it becomes clear. I removed the slide to do all this and loaded a full mag into the well. YMMV

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:07 am 
Passerby
Passerby

I did a Field strip today, there was nothing visible aside from being really dirty. It has been awhile since I cleaned it before today. The slide was held open from my firing the last round and the slide didn't want to return to battery when pulled to the rear most point. Again do not think it was directly ammo or gun giving a failure just time to clean. I packed it from September through deer season in October.

I brought my rifle for bear because it was snowing and it's a known bear hot spot. I wasn't slipping through the brush in search of a bruin. Just had it there for the off chance one crossed the road some where.

I'm a firm believer that if I sight in at 25 yards with a pistol, I'm covered for any cqc distances. While most engagements happen around the 7-10 yard mark, I like being able to push myself and my ability. It's a smaller target at farther ranges. Aim small miss small.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:09 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Hello Westcoastmountainman!!

That's a hell of a name by the way!!

If you saying the JHP is a "last resort" kind of thing for a bear... I think if a bear was after me,
there wouldn't be much aiming with me and my JHP!! I bet 9 or 10 rounds would be fired at a record pace though!!

Anyway, I just thought I mention that I've run several thousand reloads through my JHP.
I use 5 grains of IMR-700X and usually use Raineer plated bullets - either the 200gr or 230gr round nose bullets - whichever I find on sale!

I usually shoot between 200-400 rounds when I go out to the range - which I haven't done for a while... )-:
The 700X powder is a dirty powder, but it works!! And I was glad to get it when I did...
And I usually clean it after every trip to the range.

The reason for the 700X powder is because that was all there was to buy during the time all the "hoarding" was going on.
I bought an 8 pound jug and that's good for about 11,000+ 45 ACP reloads. :shock:

There's a dude around here who loves Long Shot powder, and I always thought I'd give it a try when I use up this 700X.
I'm starting to think I should just save the 700X - or sell the rest of it - and buy myself some Long Shot and just try it.

So, I sure hope you enjoy your JHP Westcoastmountainman - I've sure enjoyed mine!

And welcome to HPT. :great:

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”
Article VI, Section 24 of the South Dakota Constitution

I sure miss you Amp - (Dean Stephens) - Wish I could have met you.

Profile E-mail