Hipointtalk.net

Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Will Mahan ever make his sights again?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:54 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
After trying several ways to try to contact David Mahan with no results/replies, I'm wondering if anyone knows if he's either contemplating resuming production, or passing on the operation to someone else.
At a minimum, the Mahan Sights Website http://mahansights.com/ should indicate what the future plans (if any) are, or put a statement on there to tell people that visit the website (like me) that these sights will no longer be in production, then take the site down.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Will Mahan ever make his sights again?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:08 am 
Fanatic
Fanatic

By leaving the website up, he could track hits/activity to get a feel for how many potential sales are available. When it reaches a level where the investment in machinery and tooling goes beyond break even, he'll probably spend the capital. Small parts don't require a pallet size CNC machine, but even small CNC centers are pretty pricey. My 2 axis DRO alone cost more than the profit you could glean from the sale on 20 sights. How many sights would he have to sell before he saw the first dollar? Back when digital height gauges were a $150 I made a stand that converted a Harbor freight digital caliper into a height gauge. By the time I got it figured out, Enco had height gauges for $49. After I paid for materials and tooling I couldn't compete and pay myself. If making the part is time consuming, he may never get past beta testing it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:56 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
I know Mr. Mahan is a machinist himself and I believe works for a company that is a good sized machine shop...
But - if it's anything like where I work (which is also a machine shop) the company is fine with it if I want to make something for myself.
Like an AR barrel nut wrench or a spiffy wrench for a Lee Load-Master... (-:

But, if I want to make parts to sell, I have to give them a drawing and the folks in the office determine the price for each.
They have to figure time, material, quantity, etc.

So (and this is a lot of speculation here!!) I'll bet Mr. Mahan is looking into purchasing some of his own machines to make his sights...
OR
He's asking around and checking with some other machine shops as to what it would cost to have them make the sight for him.

That being speculated...

The price of any new CNC machine is - well - astronomical!!
He might be looking at some used machines - and that is a little risky as most CNC machines have had the dog-shit used out of them.
Why? because the price of any new CNC machine is - well - astronomical!! (-:
And usually used hard because they have to be paid for.

And to farm the work to another machine shop...
Our machine shop is a production shop where we make parts for the machines we build and sell and are plenty busy with that.
If someone want's something special made - It's $200 an hour!! :shock:
If folks don't like it - go somewhere else.
We have one full time guy and that's all he does - special tooling to be used for the machines we make.

So, it's probably gonna be expensive for Mr. Mahan to farm the work out.
Plus - The parts might not be made to the high and exacting standards Mr. Mahan is known for.

Last, but no least, Mr. Mahan might just enjoy not having to worry about any of that shit anymore...
Sure - I'll bet the extra money was nice - but so is a little peace and quiet!!

And I say that from the perspective of being employed full time and having a little side business of my own.
Sometimes I get bothered a lot at my "Real Job" with my side business...
And sometimes I get bothered a lot in the evenings and on my days off with my side business!!
Most of the time I'm fine with it - because it was to be expected.
But sometimes it'd be nice to not have to worry about it.

Punch out at my "Real Job" and I'm done!! Go home and do something fun that you want to do - or just not do anything.

So basically it's more or less what George Taylor just said above!!

So, I hope it's one of the above and not something worse... :(

Thus ends my speculation on the future of the Mahan sight...

I don't know what's going on either!! :dunno:

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”
Article VI, Section 24 of the South Dakota Constitution

I sure miss you Amp - (Dean Stephens) - Wish I could have met you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:41 am 
Fanatic
Fanatic

Jason, eloquently stated. Some of the small CNC machines for hobby use are only a fraction what a Hass costs. Then there's the work. Making one part for personal use might be fun but go back to work after working all day? You would have to be very young or very hungry. I think I'd rather be sitting on Huskers porch with an ice tea. Even cutting my lawn can be enjoyable but cutting my neighbors lawn for a few bucks after I'm done with work...I don't think so.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:45 am 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
George Taylor wrote:
Jason, eloquently stated. Some of the small CNC machines for hobby use are only a fraction what a Hass costs. Then there's the work. Making one part for personal use might be fun but go back to work after working all day? You would have to be very young or very hungry. I think I'd rather be sitting on Huskers porch with an ice tea. Even cutting my lawn can be enjoyable but cutting my neighbors lawn for a few bucks after I'm done with work...I don't think so.

I actually enjoy mowing too
I have 2 riding mowers, and I use my earbuds and my phone and buy the beer with the screw on lids to keep bugs and crud out, and go mow for 3 or 4 hours :great:
I can hardly wait for summer to enjoy the new porch :mrgreen:

--- Rabbi Shraga Silverstein

Come visit Barker Hill. Homesteading, survival, farming and self reliance.

Photobucket sucks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:33 am 
Passerby
Passerby

jasonsch wrote:
I know Mr. Mahan is a machinist himself and I believe works for a company that is a good sized machine shop...
But - if it's anything like where I work (which is also a machine shop) the company is fine with it if I want to make something for myself.
Like an AR barrel nut wrench or a spiffy wrench for a Lee Load-Master... (-:

But, if I want to make parts to sell, I have to give them a drawing and the folks in the office determine the price for each.
They have to figure time, material, quantity, etc.

So (and this is a lot of speculation here!!) I'll bet Mr. Mahan is looking into purchasing some of his own machines to make his sights...
OR
He's asking around and checking with some other machine shops as to what it would cost to have them make the sight for him.

That being speculated...

The price of any new CNC machine is - well - astronomical!!
He might be looking at some used machines - and that is a little risky as most CNC machines have had the dog-shit used out of them.
Why? because the price of any new CNC machine is - well - astronomical!! (-:
And usually used hard because they have to be paid for.

And to farm the work to another machine shop...
Our machine shop is a production shop where we make parts for the machines we build and sell and are plenty busy with that.
If someone want's something special made - It's $200 an hour!! :shock:
If folks don't like it - go somewhere else.
We have one full time guy and that's all he does - special tooling to be used for the machines we make.

So, it's probably gonna be expensive for Mr. Mahan to farm the work out.
Plus - The parts might not be made to the high and exacting standards Mr. Mahan is known for.

Last, but no least, Mr. Mahan might just enjoy not having to worry about any of that shit anymore...
Sure - I'll bet the extra money was nice - but so is a little peace and quiet!!

And I say that from the perspective of being employed full time and having a little side business of my own.
Sometimes I get bothered a lot at my "Real Job" with my side business...
And sometimes I get bothered a lot in the evenings and on my days off with my side business!!
Most of the time I'm fine with it - because it was to be expected.
But sometimes it'd be nice to not have to worry about it.

Punch out at my "Real Job" and I'm done!! Go home and do something fun that you want to do - or just not do anything.

So basically it's more or less what George Taylor just said above!!

So, I hope it's one of the above and not something worse... :(

Thus ends my speculation on the future of the Mahan sight...

I don't know what's going on either!! :dunno:

All of you have given excellent responses, and I fully understand the costs and time that are invested in a venture like this. God bless David for what he has applied his talents to, especially on a product that we all as HP users know that there is a market for.
But my main point is, let us know your intent. In all fairness, put something on the Website that indicates what direction this venture is headed.
I'm sure that many HP owners would love to see this well designed and produced rear sight hit the market again.
I'm thinking that perhaps he can find an investor or a manufacturer/machine shop that would produce these for a percentage of the profits. This of course would no doubt lead to a price increase. If it comes down to my first shot at an imposing threat going bad because the plastic sights on my C9 had been jarred, I'd gladly spend the money to have that little peace of mind.
"Front sight press, front sight press" :nice:

Julius Buckler

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:28 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
I'm one of those that goes to work after work and at 52 years old it kinda sucks. Sometimes I take on some projects that are better left alone.

I've told folks I can't do a project and they get pissy, I tell them I'll do it and it'll take a month and cost $200 for the cross draw western holster they want. Then they say "I can get a holster on fleabay $25".

I just tell the to send $25 for wasting my time and go buy the fleabay crap.

I haven't had anyone pay for wasting my time yet.

I don't know where I was going with this so...

Peach Cobbler

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:58 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

This is the latest on the Mahan sights I think...

http://www.hipointtalk.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17480&view=unread#unread

Need to wait for EX, he can get to the bottom of what's going on.

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:04 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
Randy wrote:
This is the latest on the Mahan sights I think...

http://www.hipointtalk.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17480&view=unread#unread

Need to wait for EX, he can get to the bottom of what's going on.

Right on Randy!! Ex might know something.

Maybe Mr. Mahan should put up a "progress page" on his website and let the masses know how it's going.

I'm just glad I got mine!! (-:

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”
Article VI, Section 24 of the South Dakota Constitution

I sure miss you Amp - (Dean Stephens) - Wish I could have met you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:30 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Still a programming issue. The machine he has lined up and access to uses an oddball language. I know David has spent countless hours trying to rework the code, talked to the factory for hours, spent time with a guy that supposedly
knows this machine... well. I have not had an update in a while and I hope it hasn't gotten to the point that it's become just too much of a pain. I know he never really made any money on sights and that he'd have to tie up a couple grand at a time to sub out some of the work, then wait 10 months to get his money back and not have profit. It was a labor of love, but took cash out of his pockets for too long. Hence, the new machine venture... which has become an utter pain in the a$$.

So at this point, I'm not sure where it sits but I'll try to find out soon. In fact i know he's off work today so I'll call him.

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:57 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

Thanks EX!

Please keep us posted.....

Julius Buckler

Profile E-mail