It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: CF380 problem
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:44 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
George Taylor wrote:
One of my 995s would hang up when going into battery when it was new. I was always taught not to use alot of lube, but a buddy said "put some lube on this thing. It's bone dry". After adding some more oil it worked fine. My Sccy had the same issue. When I got it back from a factory repair it was what I consider swimming in oil. I guess I was so worried about over lubing my guns, I wasn't using enough.

I do lube most of my guns just not the c9 cause it's plastic :dunno: . I dunk my AK in lube just because it's still new-ish less than a 1000 rounds through I would guess. Metal to metal all gets good quantities of quality oil..what's it called ... weapon shield? it's down in the basement, I really don't want to go down there right now.

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:27 am 
Fanatic
Fanatic

OK... Nobody get insulted, but after watching a well informed friend try to load 3" shells into a shotgun designed for 2.75", Captain Obvious has to ask....Are we sure we haven't mixed up the magazines and are trying to load 9mm into the 380? I plan on painting a silver stripe on my 380 mags so when people are over and the table is full of guns and ammo, someone doesn't insert a magazine into the wrong gun.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:24 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

Hello again everyone,

I want to thank everyone for their advice. I think I may have solved the problem. I decided to disassemble the cf380 based on some of the advice I received. Once I had it apart I noticed a spot on the painted feed ramp that seemed to not be smooth. I polished the feed ramp and lubed the slide before reassembling the pistol. I attempted to chamber a round a few times after and it seems to be working fine again. I believe that spot on the feed ramp may have been causing the round to hang up.

Again many thanks to everyone for the advice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:56 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

toddrp wrote:
Hello again everyone,

I want to thank everyone for their advice. I think I may have solved the problem. I decided to disassemble the cf380 based on some of the advice I received. Once I had it apart I noticed a spot on the painted feed ramp that seemed to not be smooth. I polished the feed ramp and lubed the slide before reassembling the pistol. I attempted to chamber a round a few times after and it seems to be working fine again. I believe that spot on the feed ramp may have been causing the round to hang up.

:groan: Feed the polisher group! Great! :roll: Now we have to listen to how polishing the feed ramps on a HiPoint is THE thing to do.... :mdr: WILL IT NEVER END??? :whistle: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :ninja:

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:32 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

Sorry Randy

Don't mean to give any group the upper hand. I did also smooth out the magazine feed lips. Felt rough to the touch. Some 800 grit sandpaper and they felt much better. I think I'm going to like being a Hi Point owner, I like to tinker and there are apparently plenty of good people on here to boot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:43 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Glad you got it solved!!! ;)

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:50 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Whoa there Silver!!! He's just asking questions and appears to have solved the issue. Whether it was the ramp or the mag lips, issue was solved and while polishing the ramp may not always be advisable, he got it going! :great:

Randy wrote:
toddrp wrote:
Hello again everyone,

:groan: Feed the polisher group! Great! :roll: Now we have to listen to how polishing the feed ramps on a HiPoint is THE thing to do.... :mdr: WILL IT NEVER END??? :whistle: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :ninja:

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:02 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

toddrp wrote:
Sorry Randy

Don't mean to give any group the upper hand. ... I think I'm going to like being a Hi Point owner, I like to tinker and there are apparently plenty of good people on here to boot.

Careful what you wish for...it might just might come true! :funny: :funny: :whistle:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:04 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Ex_ISP wrote:
Whoa there Silver!!! He's just asking questions and appears to have solved the issue. Whether it was the ramp or the mag lips, issue was solved and while polishing the ramp may not always be advisable, he got it going! :great:

Randy wrote:
toddrp wrote:
Hello again everyone,

Awe EX, you ruined it! :wow: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :rules: Iyam what IYAM...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:20 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Actually, the 380 and c9 can stand to have the paint removed from the feed ramps... sometimes. Polishing goes beyond that and is a matter of personal choice. I never did either to my c9 and I don't have any issues....NOW. BUT and that is a BIG BUT, I put in hours of work on getting the chitty mag to work correctly. I have a write-up here someplace with pictures on the process I undertook to get my projectiles inside the pooch without the addition of hair. OthersMMV but it worked for me. Polishing might be quicker and less painful... :dunno: I seldom follow the beaten path for what that is worth. What I could tell from closely inspecting the feed ramp, chamber, and magazine interactions, is that if the ramp angle is changed TOO much with an inexperienced or heavy hand (mine) there is NO going back. Wrecking havoc on the magazine on the other hand... Just call MOMMA and get a different one... I would feel too guilty to expect them to replace a frame I destroyed though, even if they would.

I have done all sorts of nasty things to my c9, I have filed on it, reworked the trigger guard to suit me, shaved the bottom of the trigger off to stop it from pinching my fat fingers, filed and sorta re-polished all the flash and separation lines off the main body and slide and inside the trigger guard, wire brushed the interior to get it to rack as silently as I can get it (you heard it, how does it compare to yours anyone?) and I have removed some of the chickenchit safeties the factory is required to install that makes it hard(er) to operate :whistle: . I did leave the drop safety in there however...I think (maybe I didn't :dunno: ).

To help the mag do it's job better I opened the gun up inserted a empty mag and decided if it rode high enough in the receiver and held the projectiles at the most appropriate angle of attack to slide into the chamber unimpeded. Then I checked the magazine tightness in mag well. Then I checked the last round hold open lever. All these need to be working together. Mine was loose on all accounts. I bent the LRHO ever so slightly so it held on better/tighter, I did the same thing to the mag hold (release) lever...bent it so it held the mag a bit tighter and higher. The mags drop free for what it's worth.

Disclaimer: I am NO gunsmith, I use this firearm for testing my home brewed remedies, for fun, and for seeing what I can do to other firearms to improve them without worrying about ruining it too badly. :yes2: It's plastic, it's fantastically reliable, and it's practically accurate. 'Practically' in the last case meaning if it was any better it would be a competition gun.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:56 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

I saw somewhere where a guy polished the coating off the entire gun. It looked cool, but who has the time for all this polishing. Heck, I don't even polish my car. I do polish my boots, and an occasional pot in the kitchen. I hope that doesn't mean I'm one of those "polishers". :groan: :roflol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:54 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

"I hope that doesn't mean I'm one of those "polishers"."

:dunno: You left this wide [open](too old to see my own mistakes it appears) for comment of the unsavory sort...but I'm not making great PC decisions right now so I'll it be... :groan:

Last edited by Randy on Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:24 am 
Fanatic
Fanatic

The Nuns in grade school said polishing would make you go blind. My glasses are really thick but I can still see. Come to think of it, there's a lot of guys here buying scopes are painting iron sights.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:29 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
Randy wrote:

:dunno: You left this wide for comment of the unsavory sort...but I'm not making great PC decisions right now so I'll it be... :groan:

How am I gonna learn anything if you keep letting these big openings go.

I'm only in my early 50s, I need examples like you so I can be a proper "crotchety old man".

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:11 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

srtolly wrote:
Randy wrote:

:dunno: You left this wide for comment of the unsavory sort...but I'm not making great PC decisions right now so I'll it be... :groan:

How am I gonna learn anything if you keep letting these big openings go.

I'm only in my early 50s, I need examples like you so I can be a proper "crotchety old man".

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

:groan:

Profile E-mail