Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: CF380 problem
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:44 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
Hello, I'm new to the forum. I recently purchased both a c9 and a cf380. I took both to the range and fired 50 rounds through each. I brought them home and did a basic cleaning with gun scrubber and a bore snake with some hoppes #9. Since then the cf380 refuses to go into battery when chambering a round without being tapped. This happens every time I try and chamber a round. It seemed to fire fine at the range. I did lubricate it after cleaning. I have the magazine loaded up with Remington umc fmj, same ammo I used at the range. I haven't tried to fire it again. Just tried to chamber a round to make sure all was well. The c9 chambers fine. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: CF380 problem
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:18 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
First off, :welcome: to our little forum.
When you say it fails to go into battery, I assume it happens when you insert a new mag and try to rack one in?
Make sure you aren't riding the slide, just pull it back and let go, let the spring do the work.
Aside from that, I'd have to hear more.
One of our pistol guys will be along to further muddy the waters for you soon. :mrgreen:

--- Rabbi Shraga Silverstein

Come visit Barker Hill. Homesteading, survival, farming and self reliance.

Photobucket sucks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:24 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

Thank you for the welcome. I'm not riding the slide. Just pulling back and letting go. Yes you are correct that it happens after inserting a loaded magazine and trying to load the first round into the chamber. It is the same magazine that I used at the range. I was thinking maybe I didn't lube the slide enough? It was fine before firing and then cleaning /lubing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:42 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
Make sure you tap the back of the mag on your hand or leg after you load it to settle the rounds into place. It's possible the first round isn't angled just right?
A little lube goes a long way

--- Rabbi Shraga Silverstein

Come visit Barker Hill. Homesteading, survival, farming and self reliance.

Photobucket sucks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:53 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

Okay, thank you. I used the approximately same amount of lube on both the c9 and cf380. I didn't use a ton, just a light coating. The c9 works fine so I thought it might be okay. I did tap the back of the magazine before loading it into the pistol. The round loads, just not all the way into the chamber. I looked into the feed ramp area with a flashlight and don't see anything that should be causing the problem. I might swap magazines between the c9 and cf380 to see if it is mag related, even though the gun worked with this mag at the range. Other than this one issue I am very happy to be a new Hi Point owner.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:38 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

First, welcome to a non-pretentious knowledge base for everything Hi Point. Someone with far more information than myself will be along shortly. First, try a different brand of ammo until the gun is broke in. Sometimes casings .001 of an inch can hang up on the tight tolerances of a new gun. I own 2 CF380s and they eat anything. I have a buddy who doesn't have 100 rnds through his yet, and it's a little glitchy. Find ammo it likes, put a couple hundred rounds through it. My wife is so accurate with hers, she no longer practices with her other guns. Mine is my bathroom gun. If the dog is barking and I'm in the shower, I'd bet my life on it. Whatever the problem is, once it's broke in, they're wicked good firearms.

Last edited by George Taylor on Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:46 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

Thank you, I will definitely give that a try. It seemed to like the Remington umc, at least the 50 rounds I fired. Maybe not enough for a good test. I do realize I haven't fired enough for it to be broken in yet. It just kind of freaked me out as it went into battery fine at the range. I'll try a different brand of ammo and some time to see if it fixes the problem. It may well be I'm just over reacting and it will resolve itself with more rounds down it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:59 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Does it happen only on the first round or two of the magazine? Try just putting 3 rounds in the mag and see if it works that way. I've had HP mags that came with the spring so tight, it put too much friction on the
mag lips that retain the cartridge. For me the solution that worked was to leave the mags FULL for a couple weeks and to use a light sandpaper on the underside of the mag lips. This revealed itself when examining
brass that was shot from it. There were little cuts in the rim of the brass from "burrs" left during the stamping process when they stamp the sheet metal that the mags are made from. So my issue was two-fold. softening the spring
a touch and de-burring the underside of the feed lips.

WELCOME!!!
:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:07 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

Thanks for the tips. I did leave the mags loaded up for a couple weeks before going to the range. I did some homework on these guns before purchasing, much of it from reading posts on this site. However I did not smooth out the inside of the feed lips. Definitely going to give that a try.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:09 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

On mine, both the above fixes were needed. It's been 100% since then.
Keep us posted!

Alexander Hamilton

them."

Thomas Jefferson

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:10 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

I will, and thanks to everyone for both the advice and the great welcome.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:12 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

My favorite welcome... Sit down, pull the boots off and stay a while!

Alexander Hamilton

them."

Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:15 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

:welcome: it pushes the round out of the mag but not completely into the chamber?
First some more simple questions since we weren't there to see how how you cleaned it...not inferring anything...

Did you remove the slide from the frame?
If not, try doing that. Then remove the springs, clean the toughs and channels they ride in VERY thoroughly with a .22 cal brass brush chucked up in a drill motor (cordless or corded) on low speed or even in a flex shaft dremel type tool. This will do at least two things...it will remove the excessive amounts of machining chips the manufacturing process left in there and it will also smooth some of those machining marks out enough to lessen the spring noise. Visually inspect all the sliding surfaces for casting burrs that might have moved and gotten in the way preventing the slide from moving that last 1/8" or whatever.

While it is apart now is a great time to learn how the gun and it's few parts interact with one another. It's not a lockup type pistol so it isn't really complicated science, it's the slides mass against spring pressure. Even a small stray metal chip can disrupt the balance here. The rails on the sides of the frame need to be smooth also, plus the corresponding slots in the slide.

Your pistolas can be as quiet as mice on snow :whistle: ;) while racking the slide with a little bit of elbow grease. I don't use any lube other than a slight bit of silicone on a rag inside my c9. I will try and figure out how to hold my cell phone and rack the slide in a vid one of these days to prove my point. Until then you'll just have to take a leap of faith.

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:58 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

OOKAY, after wasting about a billion gig of my otherwise limited bandwidth I finally got this video (which is pointless really) uploaded to PB. Just to highlight how a c9 (my c9) can sound compared to factory new. It may or may not be as silent as other c9's, YMMV.

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:33 am 
Fanatic
Fanatic

One of my 995s would hang up when going into battery when it was new. I was always taught not to use alot of lube, but a buddy said "put some lube on this thing. It's bone dry". After adding some more oil it worked fine. My Sccy had the same issue. When I got it back from a factory repair it was what I consider swimming in oil. I guess I was so worried about over lubing my guns, I wasn't using enough.

What part of Illinois are you from?

Profile E-mail