Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My Review of David Mahan's Rear Site for Hi Point
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:52 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
I posted my review of the David Mahan rear sight for the Hi Point C9/45JHP pn the HPPF forum. For those interested in can be fount at:

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Fo ... ic=28672.0

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: My Review of David Mahan's Rear Site for Hi Point
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:16 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Can't view it. I am banned from there.

Illegitimi non carborundum

I will be seeing you later Brother Woody!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:32 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
zef I hope you do not mine my reposting your review here, there are folk here that cannot go to the HPFF forum, or have no desire to do so.

..............................................................................................
The below review is vtjozef's NOT mine.
..............................................................................................

One Man’s Review: The David Mahan Custom Sight for the Hi Point Sight C9/45JHP

Back in early January 2010 I started the year off by ordering one of custom pistol sights offered and made by David Mahan who had been frequenting the High Point Firearms Forum (HPPF). David needed a core group of twenty-five people to front $30.00 for him to go into sight production at his workplace. I figured I’d bite and give his sight a try. I also talked a friend into buying a sight as well. We both have the Hi Point 45JHP pistol so we planned putting David Mahan’s sight on them. I also have a Hi Point C9 (9mm) pistol and I told David I planned to put a sight on it also if I liked how it performed on the 45JHP.

On Thursday, January 29, 2010, David Mahan sent an email that he planned to start shipping the next day, Friday. On Monday, Feb 2, David sent an email stating that the sights were out in the mail. David communicates with his customers well and frequently.

Although I received the sight a couple of days later and installed it on the 45JHP the big snows and 15 below zero weather of Vermont meant that I would have to wait to give the sight the range test.

What the sight is and has.

Installation was simple and straightforward. After removing the hold-down screw of the original factory plastic sight, the David Mahan sight simply slips into place with the screw he provides. Problem was that the screw, though fine for the C9, was too short for getting proper elevation range on the 45JHP. David quickly sent longer replacement screw to anyone that was putting the sight on the 45JHP.

The David Mahan sight has 4 hex screws. The one far forward on the sight is for mounting the sight to the slide. The one in line and in the middle is the elevation adjustment. A pair of hex screws runs perpendicular to the line running through the mount and elevation screws from front to back. These are the two windage adjustment screws. All hex screws are tightened/adjusted from the top. The two windage hex screws each push a piston out to the left and to the right. The sight pivots on the forward mounting screw. Three different hex screw wrenches mount and then adjust the sight. David supplies all three.

Bore Sighting

I put a bore sight laser into the barrel of the 45JHP. I used the diagonal space in our open-concept home and adjusted the sight at a distance of 10 yards. The trick to doing this is making sure that the sight screws and pistons are a tad loose so that adjustments can easily be make. Adjusting elevation up was simple enough – just use the supplied hex wrench and screw it in. When adjusting elevation down, however, one needs to make sure that when taking the screw out that the sight actually goes down and is not stuck in place with the windage pistons. I simply made sure there was some play in windage direction and pushing down on the sight with my finger. I would suggest that the elevation be adjusted by screwing up rather that going down.

Because there are two opposing pistons for windage it is necessary for the piston to have travel space on the same side of the slide as the direction to which the slide is moving. This is not as difficult as it sounds. If moving the windage to the right I would back off the right adjustment screw a-half turn moving the piston in and then move inward the left adjustment screw an equal amount moving its corresponding piston out. One piston moves in on one side and one piston moves out on the other side an equal amount. David offers a video detailing on how the adjustments are made. The video can be found at

http://www.youtube.com/user/kerfmeister ... zsO-pV92nw

When the red laser was over the front sight as properly seen through the back sight I tightened everything. Now, if the weather would only warm so I could go to the range and try out David Mahan’s finely built sight.

Yippee! It’s Above Freezing

On March 7, the weather was sunny and the temperature hit 45 degrees so off I went to the range. When I got to the range another shooter was there and he expressed an interest in the Hi Point 45JHP. Here was an opportunity to sell Hi Point. So, I asked him if he wanted to shoot it. He did. He fired off nine rounds of Remington UMC FMJ at 15 yards. All of them wound up in the bull or within the first three rings. Not bad. I figured I correctly bore sighted the 45JHP with the David Mahan sights first try out! Not so fast.

Back in the summer of 2009 I sent my then new Hi Point 45JHP to the factory because I had to move the stock sight pretty far to the right in order to zero it in. The pistol came back in fours days and with a new mag gratis the factory. You have to love Hi Point service. I test fired the 45JHP with the new factory sight. It was just to the right of center. Problem was that in this factory test-fired set position I was having the same to-the-left shooting problem. So what would happen when I tried to fire the 45JHP with David Mahan’s sight after a different first-time shooter shot well with it after my laser bore sighting? Turns out I have the same problem shooting to the left with David Mahan’s sight and the factory sight. So then, now it is time for the windage piston adjustment for my real world circumstances.

I moved the right piston into the sight by letting the hex screw out ½ turn and then moved the left piston out by turning the hex screw in ½ turn. I refired and checked results. It was better. I did this over and over again until I was consistently shooting satisfactory groups zeroed in. It took 70 rounds. I then tightened the sight hold-down hex screw and made sure that both pistons were pressing in opposite directions holding the sight well in place within the slide. I shot again with the similar results. I was satisfied.

Conclusion

The David Mahan sight stays locked firmly in place. It cannot be moved or jiggled with a finger the way that the plastic stock sight can be moved. I this insures that David Mahan’s sight stays put right where it is finally set.

So where did the David Mahan sight finally wind up on my 45JHP? Over to the right but not as far as the plastic stock sight was. I had the other shooter shoot the 45JHP again. His shots were off to the right. Experience has shown me that shooting to the left is part and parcel of my optical physiology.

I like the David Mahan sight. It is a class mechanical act and it adds a touch of zing to an inexpensive and very reliable pistol. It has a black anodized body with black hex screws that compliment the overall pistol well. The gap in the rear sight is the same as the stock Hi Point plastic sight gap. David offers a narrow gap option for those so-inclined

The cost of the David Mahan sight is $30.00 delivered. David offers a Hi Point-like guarantee. If you don’t like the sight send it back for a full refund. I’m going to keep my sight and put one on the Hi Point C9. I like it very much.

David Mahan can be reached at highpointsights@gmail.com I like supporting the little guy and the workingman. I like supporting the guy who makes the Hi Point pistol a bit nicer and better. Give the sight a try. There is nothing to lose and a good bit to gain

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:52 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Very well written. Great job. I still like my prototype as well.

Illegitimi non carborundum

I will be seeing you later Brother Woody!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:19 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
Good review :great:

--- Rabbi Shraga Silverstein

Come visit Barker Hill. Homesteading, survival, farming and self reliance.

Photobucket sucks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:23 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nope. I don't mind. It would be nice for folks on this form to see the images of David Mahan's sights. So then here you go.
The first three images below are of the David Mahan rear sight on my olive drab 45JHP:

Image Image Image

The last three images are the view of the front sight from the rear sight using different depth-of-field camera settings:

Image ImageImage

Keep in mind that the sight is black anodized aluminum but my camera was using a macro lens and the bright flash was only 3 inches away washing out the black color.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:32 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Thanks for the pics! I personally like what the guy has done and hope he keeps thinking up new things for our beloved Hi Points :)

Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:17 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

I got the narrow one from David and really like it. Mine seems to set off to the left.

nother review

** Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet. **

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:13 am 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hobbles wrote:
I got the narrow one from David and really like it. Mine seems to set off to the left.

I sent my 45JHP in the factory for a checkup as I was constantly shooting to the left with the stock sight. It came back with replaced parts including rear sight and bench test firing with target.

When I put on and bore sighted David Mahan's sight I was interested to see what would happen when I went to the range. There was a guy there to whom I was showing off the Hi Point. He was the first to fire the 45JHP with Mahan's sight and it was right on at 18 yards. When I fired the pistol I was way to the left. So this is to-the-left issue is particular to my optical (sighting) anatomy. I'm going to put a David Mahan sight on my C9.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:23 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

0h heck, I guess that means I gotta re sight it in when I get my glass's.

** Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet. **

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:34 am 
Fanatic
Fanatic

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
So they dont make the sight for th .40?that's racist!just kiddin.i'll be shootingm ine for the first time next month at our indoor rang and not sure how far 18 yrds is i dont think i'll be praticing that far of a shot is far.maybe the distance o f3 mid sized cars.i'll let yaw know how it turns out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:38 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Actually sean the sights for the JCP and JHP interchange.... and I personally shoot at 7 yds (21 feet) what distance you shoot at is totally up to you.

Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

ImageImage

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:29 am 
Fanatic
Fanatic

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
I never realized there were other options for aftermarket sights for the c9. Even more reason for me to go out and buy one.... eventually.

I do however like the idea of the ghost ring sight that the c9 comes with.

Dislikes: Most People, Traffic, Liberals

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:09 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9-Comp
I like ghost rings and aperture/peep sights on rifles, but not on my pistols. I tried the HP ghost ring rear and couldn't see anything with it. :( Could just be my old eyes, but I stay with the regular rear sight.

And I did get a Mahan rear, and love it. :thumb:

Other guns owned: Various and sundry...lets just say I can launch any of the following ammo...8mm & 7mm Mauser, 7.62X54R or 7.62X39 or 7.62X25, 7.5X55, 9X18, 9X19, .380, .40, .45, .22, .22 mag, .22WRF, .223, 12 ga, 20ga., .30-30, .300 Savage, .303 Brit, 7.62 NATO, and .30-06...so if you want to get rid of some, let me know!!!

He who laughs last........................thinks slowest!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:25 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
I am very interested in his sights, I was almost ready to order one when I got banned and couldn't find his address again. Thanks for continuing it here. Now if I can talk my wife into it again, I'll be ordering one.

Mech

Fill your hands, you son of a bitch! - Rooster Cogburn
Revenge is a meal best served cold!
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer!
I wouldn't be so paranoid, if everyone wasn't out to get me!
Officially a friend of a sadistic dirty old man. Lol.
It's always raining in my head. - Staind
Killing Is My Business, And Business Is Good! - Dave Mustane. - Megadeth.
http://www.military.com/video/operation ... 618611001/

Profile E-mail