Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Negligent discharge !
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:04 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
I am 64 yrs old and been around guns all my life and safety is always number one with me and guns. About a month ago I went in to take a shower and was removing my IWB pistol (a XD sub compact) I pulled out the pistol to lay on my dresser so I could get undressed. I unconsciously placed my finger on the trigger. BANG scared every one in the house,put a hole in my dresser.Long story short. Do not get complacent or so used to having a pistol on that you forget to think about what you are doing. This made me look up this subject and wow a lot of people have shot them selves and/or their work place. Police are always having to remove and handle their firearms for safety in some locations and the chance of a negligent discharge goes up every time they touch their weapon. So don't learn this the hard way. So slow down and THINK before you draw your weapon. I hope this helps someone. It embarrassed me but I'm safer now. :eeewww: Glad it was just the dresser and my pride.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Negligent discharge !
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:19 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
One of the reasons I carry a Ruger P95, that first pull you really have to want it to go off!

http://elby.yolasite.com/ Mosin sight tools

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/blrobinso ... geOffset=2
My fantasy novels and C&R Bound Book

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:42 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
en7kids, I think it is very good of you to tell us about your experience. I think it happens more often than most people think! And, with anything, accidents do happen, no matter if it's caused by negligence, equipment failure or circumstances. The more guns that are around and the more people that own them and handle them, there's bound to be more instances of an ND. It just goes with the territory. Liberal's have a tough time understanding things like that...

Below I have a link people can go to. Click it and on the left side, scroll down to the bottom. There is a fellow there that also had an ND, but he wasn't as lucky as you! He shot himself in the leg with Rock Island 45acp loaded with Federal Hydra Shok ammo. It's quite a story! He was sitting down when it happened and the bullet went in and out his thigh, then in and out his calf.
He has a lot of pictures and really had to suffer through many things before he got healed up.

http://loadmastervideos.com/

So all of us - let's do our best to be safe!! What happened to en7 could happen to any of us!! :shock:

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”
Article VI, Section 24 of the South Dakota Constitution

I sure miss you Amp - (Dean Stephens) - Wish I could have met you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:02 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
I like statistics and probabilities. The more you handle anything a handgun, a knife, screwdriver, whatever the more chance of a mishap. If you never touch it and leave it in a drawer your chances are excellent nothing will happen. Oh and I have felt that OH Shit! feeling. Negligent absolutely. Unscheduled sounds better

"Contrary to what your mother told you violence can at times solve problems."

"There is only one way to deal with violence is to use greater violence" an Israeli exchange student.

Never shoot a large calber man with a small caliber weapon.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:48 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
Glad to hear it was a simple learning experience and nothing more. Just out the cost of a new dresser (and what was inside) I guess instead of funeral expenses. :thumb:

I always said at work when someone criticized someone when they screwed up--- As Confucius says :groan: ; He who does the most work has more opportunities to screw up and will take full advantage.

That is actually a veiled compliment of sorts. But as V said, it's true.

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:08 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Definitely a butt clenching experience... very glad no one was hurt. I shoot a lot, and clean/lube/service regularly just so they are always top shape. But I "handle them" hardly at all.
Don't carry one around the house or sit and hold them. Whenever I USE them, I am in full alert mode with attention to all details. Never casual.

I am happy (and perhaps lucky) that I've never had an ND, but can certainly imagine many scenarios where it could happen easily if distracted or not in
full attention mode. (I made up that term but I'm sticking to it LOL)

Your post is descriptive and quite sufficiently scary, as it should be when NDs happen!

Thank you for sharing it... it's a good reminder for all!!

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:54 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
IMO there are two types of people that have never had a ND. Those who are very lucky, and those who just haven't had one yet.
Thanks for sharing your story, I have had a couple of ND's and they are Negligent NOT accidental, and always try to keep in mind that guns are a deadly weapon and not a toy.

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:03 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
I had one once, ended up married for 25 years to a spiteful, nagging....oh, not that kind of discharge...need to read better I guess...

http://elby.yolasite.com/ Mosin sight tools

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/blrobinso ... geOffset=2
My fantasy novels and C&R Bound Book

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:51 pm 
Guru
Guru

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
Glad you are good, other than your butt taking a bite out of your underwear. I am the type of person who would keep the dresser around as a reminder.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:21 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

waltham41 wrote:
IMO there are two types of people that have never had a ND. Those who are very lucky, and those who just haven't had one yet.
Thanks for sharing your story, I have had a couple of ND's and they are Negligent NOT accidental, and always try to keep in mind that guns are a deadly weapon and not a toy.

Are we thinking of the closet incident?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:02 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

yes phat the closet incident

Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:50 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Walt, I was trying not to bring that up... I mean, if you want to come out of the closet here, that's fine!! It's your personal choice..

Hmm, What?? - - - Oh, Ok sorry - It's not THAT kind of a closet thing!!! I see...

Nevermind...

Walt, how much longer are you going to let us abuse you like this!! :shock:
We are a bunch of ungrateful people, aren't we... :( :whistle:

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:47 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I choose not to carry a round chambered, I don't feel like it really takes that long to rack the slide, and I think the safety benefits outweigh the risk of not getting a round on target in time.

I'm not saying everyone should do this, and there may be certain scenarios where I would camber a round ( if I had to stop for gas after dark in Detroit) but maybe more people should consider chambering a round less often.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 3:10 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

jasonsch wrote:
Walt, I was trying not to bring that up... I mean, if you want to come out of the closet here, that's fine!! It's your personal choice..

Hmm, What?? - - - Oh, Ok sorry - It's not THAT kind of a closet thing!!! I see...

Nevermind...

I like to do things different, I went INTO the closet LOL

Hell Jason I have to put up with you guys, you all are about the only friends I have! ;)

Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

ImageImage

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:48 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

waltham41 wrote:
jasonsch wrote:

Nevermind...

I like to do things different, I went INTO the closet LOL

Hell Jason I have to put up with you guys, you all are about the only friends I have! ;)

Same thing for me Walt!! Kind of sad in a way... :( But it's nice to hang out with some like minded people!! :D Even though I haven't actually met anyone from HPT - I am glad to say, most everyone here I consider a friend!! Group Hug!!! (Not so tight, Randy!!)
I think my family would learn a lot about me, just from reading my posts here on HPT...

Profile E-mail