Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Training posts
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:56 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
I am going to sticky this to provide a central place to lookup or reference training literature or videos.

Contribute anything you feel worthy taking into acct only for the longevity of your post. IE, Is it a a private
site the may be gone soon? We want to avoid as much as possible, a thread full of dead links that will require
lots of potential maintenance.

Ready, set GO! ;)

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

Post subject: Re: Training posts
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:24 am 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
RL 550B Caliber Conversion Cross-reference Chart

http://brianenos.com/pages/dillon/cal.conv.chart.html

Use this chart to save money: don't buy unneeded parts.

Post subject: Re: Training posts/Proper Cleaning
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:36 am 
Fanatic
Fanatic

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
If you get a big puff of BLUE smoke (like an old '52 Studebaker) with each shot, you might have used too much oil on your weapon. Too much oil mixes with powder, copper and brass residue to form a nice abrasive compound which causes undue wear. Watch this cleaning advice:

*Edit: Spelling

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" "Who watches the watchmen?"
-- Juvenal, Satires, VI, 347 M E

"We can have a democratic society or we can have the concentration of great wealth in the hands of the few. We cannot have both."
-- Louis Brandeis, Supreme Court Justice from 1916-1939

Last edited by Rev_Biff on Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Training with Olympic Rapid Fire Pistol and US Champ
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:25 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Olympic International Rapid Fire Pistol and US Army Reserve Team Champion SFC Keith Sanderson discusses his methodology to improving your marksmanship skills.

Part 1

Part 2

Park 3

Part 4

Part 5

Alexander Hamilton

them."

Thomas Jefferson

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

Post subject: Tips for defensive shooting
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:31 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

http://www.usacarry.com/tips-defensive-pistol-shooting/
by Matt Schlueter

I want to share a story from hunting season’s gone by. On opening day the rifle my friend was using had been dropped, unknown to us at the time the scope had been damaged causing its point of aim to be thrown way off. As our day continued my hunting partner, several other friends and I were trying to find a buck that was wounded in a slough. I was helping push the slough with two of our friends when this buck ran out of the slough straight towards where my hunting partner was posting. He took aim with his rifle, and missed, by where his round hit the dirt it was way off, this buck continues to run towards him, he drew his .357mag with his off hand and fired. At a distance less than 5 yards bullet struck that buck, causing it to skid into the dirt. My hunting partner assumed a textbook combat stance when he shot the buck with his pistol with out aiming. Now as I think back about that day this is one of those stories, if I had not personally witnessed I may have doubted weather it truly happened.

How does a person become skilled in the use of a pistol for defensive/combats shooting? First we must start with the basics; the first step is forming the grip on the pistol. A good grip will aid in all types of shooting styles and positions.

Establishing your grip on the pistol starts when you begin to draw the pistol from your holster before releasing any retention devices. When forming the grip, you need to ensure you are gripping the pistol high enough on the back strap. The best way to describe the pressure of a good grip is like a firm handshake. If you apply too much pressure with your little finger it could cause your shots to go lower than your point of aim. Your grip must be uniform in pressure while not so firm it interferes with the movement of the trigger finger. The grip must center the pistol in your hand it is like an extension of your arm. A proper grip will not allow the pistol to shift in your hand when the shot breaks. When gripping the pistol the pressure should be straight to the rear and remain constant while pressing the trigger.

The next step is the draw sequence; most people who go to the range and practice do so with the pistol in an exposed holster. It is my opinion the person who chooses to carry a concealed pistol for self-defense should practice with their concealed carry holster they plan on using. By practicing with your concealed carry holster you are developing your muscle memory.

Clearing your concealed pistol to draw-To clear your shirt reach down with your non-shooting hand grab the bottom of the article of clothing lifting straight up till your pistol is cleared. To clear an unbuttoned or unzipped coat you can sweep the article back away from your holster as part of the draw stroke. This should be practiced to so you know which draw works best with your chosen wardrobe/pistol/holster system.

When drawing your pistol, lift the pistol straight up till it clears the top of the holster. Rotate the muzzle forwards till the muzzle is pointed down range and your wrist/forearm rests against your side. Keep your finger off the trigger, lying along the side of the frame. This is one position the weapon can be fired from in extreme close combat firing, and point shooting 1-5 yards. This also gives you more control over your pistol in case the suspect attempts to grab it from you at this point. Remember to keep your non-shooting hand in away from the muzzle at this point. If you are forced to use your non-shooting hand to defend yourself remember to keep it clear of the muzzle to avoid injuring yourself.

Hand Positions of two handed grip – Bring your shooting hand & non-shooting hand forward to the center or front of your body to form you two handed grip. The shooting hand should have the trigger finger should be on the side of the pistols frame operating independent of the rest of the fingers. The remaining fingers should be as high as possible on the front strap of the grip while the web of the hand should be as high as possible on the back strap of the grip of the pistol.

The non-shooting hand should completely encircle the shooting hand bringing the heels of both hands together. As much of the grip surface should be covered as possible, using this method will aid the shooter in controlling recoil. If possible the index finger of the non-shooting hand should be under the trigger guard. This will help unintentional down ward pulling during the trigger stroke.

Follow though- bringing the pistol forward and up to eye level utilizing a push-pull effect with the shooting hand pushing, and the non-shooting hand pulling to maintain a sight picture.

Remember, when using contact shooting, extreme close quarters shooting, and point shooting, you can fire your pistol without the aid of using the sights and generally hit center mass.

Contact Shooting

During a contact shooting, it is recommended to immediately break physical contact with the assailant. If a shot has been fired it is recommended you cycle your pistol in the event of a malfunction After disengaging prepare to follow-up at a more suitable target area, if the assailant continues the attack. Distances are usually 0-1 yards. Disadvantages are the high possibility of causing a stoppage during the event.

Extreme Close Quarters Shooting

ECQST from near contact range to 1-3 yards. These are engagements where the pistol cannot be brought to the eye level or where you would not want to bring it to eye level due to the possibility of being disarmed by assailant. This form of shooting can be utilized from the holstered and ready gun positions, with both single hand & two-handed grips. You should also be able to deploy various levels of defensive tactics to counter sudden deadly force encounters. While firing the pistol it should be held in close to the body to stabilize it while firing. Your body’s stance should be a combat or fighting stance. Keep in mind this is to be used in “fistfight” distances requiring the use of deadly force. This method should be used till you can break contact enough to follow up with aimed fire or the threat of deadly force from the assailant has stopped.

Point Shooting

Point shooting is generally from 3 to 7 yards. The method should be as follows: The pistol is held at line of sight. Your focus is on the threat, or a specific visual target point on the threat. Focus is not on the sights, point shooting is successful due to muscle memory developed by training and practice you are able to perform this shooting stance with proficiency. Remember you may not have fine alignment of the sights but nevertheless in your mind’s eye, you can bring your pistol to bear indexing with your hand eye coordination to aim. This is a basic form of point shooting where you may or may not use the sights.

It is my opinion that a person learning to use a pistol for self defense should learn to shoot from all positions using both aimed and non-aimed fire. This should instill confidence and ability in their skill to use handgun to defend them if faced with a deadly force situation. It is in these sets of circumstances, speed, confidence and the ability to use your handgun from ether hand in any position with or with out the use of sights is crucial.

Alexander Hamilton

them."

Thomas Jefferson

Post subject: 5 defensive tops to avoid
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:39 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2014/8/15/5-defensive-shooting-tips-to-avoid/
by B. Gil Horman

It was way, way back in the pre-Internet dark ages when I decided to start learning about defensive shooting. At the time, I really didn't have anyone to turn to for advice beyond the guys at the gun shop and the gun writers. Today, those who are investigating firearms for personal protection have a veritable ocean of information to dive into. Websites, books, videos, periodicals and online forums abound.

But despite all of the useful information that's readily available today, there are still bits of not-so-sage self-defense advice that continue to cling to the community's conversations like crab grass to a putting green. Some folks will be polite by sayings it’s advice that should be taken with a grain of salt. But here are five ideas and practices that should just be put out to pasture.

5. Trust me, I've been doing this for years.

The assumption is that if someone has an extensive shooting background, then they are qualified to dish out self-defense advice. This seems a little strange since folks don't usually make this kind of generalization when it comes to other specialties. For example, five-star chefs, caterers and at-home cooks all prepare food for people to enjoy. Generally speaking, they all do the same thing. However, even though the work they do is similar in nature, it's not in actuality the same. Each of these styles of food preparation requires a different set of techniques, tools and ingredients.

This holds true for shooting skills, tactics and gear selection. Although guns are used for harvesting waterfowl, high-speed target competition and military engagements, each activity requires a unique approach and mindset. Handling guns in a variety of contexts, even if it's done on a regular basis over the course of a lifetime, will not automatically translate into the specific, specialized skills required for personal protection situations. If you are looking for self-defense advice, then turn to the folks with the right background to provide it.

4. If you practice at the range regularly, you'll be good to go.

One should never underestimate the importance of spending time at a static-target shooting range. When conducted properly, these sessions are invaluable for refining trigger control, forming a sight picture, reloading techniques and so on. However, a regimen consisting solely of square-range practice time is incomplete. In a defensive scenario, a personal protector will have to handle several problems at once. These can include drawing from concealment, seeking cover and evaluating the threat, all while moving quickly with their heart pounding. One of the best ways to enhance defensive-shooting skills is to seek out live-fire practice that includes these key defensive elements. Shooting classes, local club events and organized competitions (IDPA, ICORE, IPSC, SASS) can provide opportunities to shoot and move at the same time.

3. I don't bother with reloads.

Yes, carrying reloads increases the uncomfortable weight and inconvenient bulk of an already heavy concealed-carry handgun. But you’ll be hard pressed to find professionals, including law enforcement, military, security and self-defense instructors alike, who say it is okay to skimp on reloads. Instead, they'll cite situations in which a spare magazine or speed loader was the key element in winning or losing a gun fight.

Having reloads on hand is not about sending more lead down range per se but keeping the gun running until the fight is over. What if the one pistol magazine you have is damaged or defective? What if the magazine gets dropped and lost? What if you have to fend off multiple assailants with your 5-shot revolver? More ammo means more options. If it's worth all the work and expense it takes to have a concealed handgun with you, then having enough fuel on hand to keep it running should make sense as well.

2. There's only one gun you can trust to get the job done.

Firearm owners who have found a cartridge and firearm combination they feel confident in for personal protection should be congratulated. They've successfully waded through a seemingly infinite number of possibilities and can now focus on the all-important task of honing their skills. But for those enthusiasts who hold to the “One True Gun” mindset, saying that all other options are stupid, bad or just plain wrong, well, it's time to take a deep breath and relax a bit.

In truth, there is no One True Gun because the diversity of the shooting community presents a wide range of considerations including the individual’s wardrobe requirements, climate, body shape, skill level and personal preferences. This is why a particular gun is a perfect fit for person A and a boat anchor to person B. But beyond the like and dislike factors, there are literally dozens, if not hundreds, of gun and caliber configurations that will be more than adequately powerful, reliable, and accurate for self defense.

1. You don't even have to aim it!

Just when it seems that the myth about defensive shotguns being plug-and-play tools has finally dried up, it pops up again. Just days ago I was talking over options for home defense with some friends when it was said, once again, that the great thing about shotguns is that there is no need to aim them. This statement is simply not true. Just like any other defensive firearm, shotguns have to be aimed and handled with some degree of proficiency in order to work properly.

Defensive shotguns produce a devastating impact and the spreading pattern of shot pellets increases the odds of hitting the target. However, a shotgun is not a magic wand. Depending on the distance from the target, the shot pattern may only be as big around as a golf ball or a tennis ball. It is bigger impact area than a single rifle or handgun bullet to be sure but still small enough to miss an assailant completely if the shot is not properly placed. If a shotgun is going to be employed as a defensive tool in the home, be sure to understand its benefits and limitations before putting the gun to work.

Alexander Hamilton

them."

Thomas Jefferson

Post subject: A take on good revolver grip... Try it!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:57 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Alexander Hamilton

them."

Thomas Jefferson

Post subject: A different opine on revolver grip
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:04 am 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Here it is.... try both!
Feel free to comment on both styles AFTER trying both! ;)

Alexander Hamilton

them."

Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:39 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
Lots of good info here so far. I've shot uspsa and can say that the excitement can make a big change for a shooter.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: COMBAT TRAINING WITH PISTOLS, M9 AND M11
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:36 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Big pdf file

COMBAT TRAINING WITH PISTOLS, M9 AND M11

http://www.stevespages.com/training/united_states_army_fm_3-23x35%20-%2025_june_2003.pdf

Alexander Hamilton

them."

Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:40 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
Some of the worse advice I ever received was from professionals. In short, the people who have a chance of being in combat on a day to day basis and still do some stupid stuff.

Example, when I was a rookie police officer. A large number of my fellow and more experienced officers carried snake shot in the first couple of chambers (we all carried revolvers at the time) The idea was you need to get a first time hit. The second two chambers carried standard rounds, and the last two were an armor piercing round on the theory that if you got this far in a gun fight they would be (and probably would be) under some kind of cover.

Being trained in the hard sciences, I had to put it to the test.

I got an old leather jacket I owned (and was pretty much trashed), and put it over a duffle bag full of newspapers and hung from a tree. I then emptied six rounds of snake shot into it from a distance of 7 yards (about standard for a gun fight), and then I checked. Not a single penetration at that distance.

I then put the armor piercing to the test, and this time propped a car door between me, and then put the same bag behind it. The armor piercing bullet did got throw, as well as through the representative bad guy, which right away started alarm bells going off in my mind. So I put a couple of more object behind the target (now for this to have been a really good test, I'd have needed ballistic jelly or at least a couple of sides of beef - bust since I didn't have either . . .take this one for what it's worth) but the armor piercing round went through my target and everything behind it, so the theory that they'd be in a car worked, but if the gunfight took place on a street or a crowded venue, the round would go through the bad guy, and several others.

Conclusion, the snake shot idea was crazy to begin with unless you shot the guy in the face at point blank range. There would be no physical damage and if he was drunk or high and even if the guy was naked, there was a good chance he wouldn't even know he'd been shot, giving him ample time to hurt you or someone else. The armor piercing round was a good idea assuming they were behind some kind of cover. But if the round was traveling in an open area, it posed a danger to people downrange of the shoot out (not to mention going through a guy and unless you hit a major organ, you're not causing enough damage to slow him down much - giving him a chance to hurt you or someone else).

So don't take anyone's word on anything. Put it to the test.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:09 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

rmuniz9336 wrote:
Some of the worse advice I ever received was from professionals. In short, the people who have a chance of being in combat on a day to day basis and still do some stupid stuff.

Example, when I was a rookie police officer. A large number of my fellow and more experienced officers carried snake shot in the first couple of chambers (we all carried revolvers at the time) The idea was you need to get a first time hit. The second two chambers carried standard rounds, and the last two were an armor piercing round on the theory that if you got this far in a gun fight they would be (and probably would be) under some kind of cover.

Being trained in the hard sciences, I had to put it to the test.

I got an old leather jacket I owned (and was pretty much trashed), and put it over a duffle bag full of newspapers and hung from a tree. I then emptied six rounds of snake shot into it from a distance of 7 yards (about standard for a gun fight), and then I checked. Not a single penetration at that distance.

>>>I've had .38 spl snake shot bounce off snow! My snake shot is now #8 shot and the balls have enough weight to do damage. Though, for SD for me, it's all JHP rounds.
**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
I then put the armor piercing to the test, and this time propped a car door between me, and then put the same bag behind it. The armor piercing bullet did got throw, as well as through the representative bad guy, which right away started alarm bells going off in my mind. So I put a couple of more object behind the target (now for this to have been a really good test, I'd have needed ballistic jelly or at least a couple of sides of beef - bust since I didn't have either . . .take this one for what it's worth) but the armor piercing round went through my target and everything behind it, so the theory that they'd be in a car worked, but if the gunfight took place on a street or a crowded venue, the round would go through the bad guy, and several others.

>>>Hope I never have a need for armor penetration rounds!
**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Conclusion, the snake shot idea was crazy to begin with unless you shot the guy in the face at point blank range. There would be no physical damage and if he was drunk or high and even if the guy was naked, there was a good chance he wouldn't even know he'd been shot, giving him ample time to hurt you or someone else. The armor piercing round was a good idea assuming they were behind some kind of cover. But if the round was traveling in an open area, it posed a danger to people downrange of the shoot out (not to mention going through a guy and unless you hit a major organ, you're not causing enough damage to slow him down much - giving him a chance to hurt you or someone else).

So don't take anyone's word on anything. Put it to the test.

Alexander Hamilton

them."

Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:15 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
I've got armor piercing incendiary 50 bmg rounds.. you never know when you will need to pierce something and then set it on fire ;)

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:37 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
Those sound like fun Walt

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:20 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
I enjoyed reading that Mr. rmuniz9336!!

And it makes sense too.

I had a Brother-In-Law that was a cop and he showed me that he has snake shot for the 1st couple rounds in his 38.
"It's for marking cars" is what he told me!!
I guess that means if they're getting away you can put some chips in the paint or something. :dunno:
He never mentioned anything about armor piercing rounds.

I remember another thing that happened when my Dad was sheriff...

There was a car in the parking lot of our court house - where Dads office was.
I looked at it and it had a bullet hole in the back of the car through the trunk and there was blood on the drivers side rear seat!!

I asked what happened and he said the Reservation Police (as in Indian Reservation) was in a high speed pursuit of this car.
The cop chased them a long ways and finally rolled the window down and took a few shots.
One of the bullets went through the trunk and the back seat and hit a person in the shoulder riding in the back seat.
This was back in the 80's and this was a big ol' 70's Heavy Chevy Imapla.
I was surprised a pistol bullet had enough energy to make it through the car - But it did!!
It might have been one of those "armor piercing rounds" that did it!!

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”
Article VI, Section 24 of the South Dakota Constitution

I sure miss you Amp - (Dean Stephens) - Wish I could have met you.

Profile E-mail