Hipointtalk.net

Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A good arguement for open carry and a good gun safe!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:32 am 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
My wife and I went to Creede Colorado over the weekend to do some work on a friends house. She's a cancer survivor, but the chemo has done a serious job on her, and she has the agility and the strength of 90 year old.

Anyway, that's great bear country, and the bears have been coming down into town looking for food, and since a lot of my work was out of doors, I had my 1911 on my hip. I was on top of her garage (I was re-roofing it), when I noticed this guy walking down the street carrying a rifle with a scope. Now that's not unusual in Creede. In fact if you don't have a rifle in your pickup or jeep, or you're not open carrying, then obviously you're from out of town. Add to it this being hunting season, and it wouldn't have seemed to unusual, but there was just something about the way the guy looked at me that started some alarm bells ringing. I undid the flap on the holster, and watched as he continued walking and disappeared around the hill.

About 10 minutes later, the sheriff rolls up. He was an old friend of mine, and when he didn't bother with pleasantries, I knew something was up. He asked me if I seen a guy with a rifle about, and I told him about the guy I'd seen and after describing him, he nodded, and said that's him, and I pointed towards where he'd gone.

A few minutes later, I'm hearing sirens as EMS and more deputies (plus half a dozen locals, all with the aforementioned rifles in their vehicles), come racing in.

Last night, I got the rest of the story. This individual is a registered sex offender with a history of extreme violence (some of it associated with a weapon), and he's not even supposed to look at a gun, much less have one. He breaks into a local cabin, and steals a 30.06 with a scope, and about a hundred rounds of ammunition. He was going up the hill that flanks the town on the eastern side (Creede, if you've never been there, sits in a small canyon maybe four hundred yards across at it's widest). A man with a good scope and rifle could get up on that hill and cause all kinds of problems. Apparently the Sheriff managed to get him flanked, and then tackled him.

Good news is the guys on his way back to prison and no one was hurt.

The bad news is that with the exception of about a three minute period, he was out of range of my pistol, though I'm well convinced that had I not noticed him and made a yellow alert defensive move, he could ( and probably would have) have easily have shoot me off that roof. The really bad news was that the cabin he broke into didn't have a gun safe. In their defense, I will say that there's almost zero crime in the county, and everyone has the warm fuzzy feeling that it wouldn't happen there, but I think the whole incident was a wake up call for that small town.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: A good arguement for open carry and a good gun safe!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:22 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
Glad they caught him OK

--- Rabbi Shraga Silverstein

Come visit Barker Hill. Homesteading, survival, farming and self reliance.

Photobucket sucks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: A good arguement for open carry and a good gun safe!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:39 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
Also glad they caught him. And, too me, a gun safe is a tool to aid in the prevention of a theft. I don't have children around, so that's not an issue here...
But I sure don't want to lose any of the "tools" that it's taken a long time to acquire! Thieves and children IMHO, represent the two largest factors
in choosing and buying a safe.

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?